Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snow Leopard music issues update, May 2010?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowbrow

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Snow Leopard music issues update, May 2010? Reply with quote

First off, apologies to the forum for a double thread, and also if this is off-topic (this has been previously posted in Mac Users).

Here's my query:
Now that Snow Leopard has been around for a bit, what's the current consensus regarding bugs and issues on this platform with music gear? Does anyone have any horror stories? What's the story with MOTU and other products of that ilk with regard to their stability in Snow Leopard, not to mention of course stuff like our beloved Korg M3 Xpanded? How about Reason and Ableton? I take it that the Logic line has no issues. Anyone anything to report?

Snowbrow
snowbrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments at all, good or bad...? Somebody must have an opinion?
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with Logic here... I can't speak about any of the others you mentioned.

As Apple told me, Snow is really just an update, not really a major overhaul. That said, it is 64 bit so companies have to rewrite the code for it.

What I do when I want to know about certain apps with an OS is to google that - for example 'Snow Leopard and Logic 9.' Any issues show up quickly.

Of course most posts are going to be people having issues. Those who don't have issues likely won't post. At least the percentage of people having issues to those who don't is greater. So you have to evaluate based on what you read if there are an overwhelming number of 'same' issues that seem to be about the OS or the particular software, for example if 50 people said that Logic 9 crashes under Snow when you hit the record button. Wink Then you can be pretty certain there's a Logic issue.
snowbrow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair point, dreamaiden, Google result polling, to use my pet name for it, is of course the natural first stop. However, apart from general issues with the above apps, I was wondering what the marriage of the likes of Logic and the Korg M3 is like in Snow Leopard land, especially if more of the usual suspects like MOTU etc. are thrown in alongside, the Korg thing being the reason I posted here.

Anyway, glad to hear you've no issues yourself. Do you have a Korg M3 plugged into your system by any chance?
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No korgs here. Just a Nord and soft synths now.

I was trying to think of where else you could go where more people might have more of those variables. I think this might be the best place:

http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/

I do have a friend who has the M3, Snow, Logic and an iMac. He has no problems. I believe the Korg editor is 32 bit and I have not heard that it will be updated to 64 bit though I don't keep up with that. It will still open in the bridge like other plugs that are not yet 64 bit. He also uses Live Lite and has reported no problems there. I have another friend who uses Live and Logic, although not too much lately, and Snow, and has reported no problems.

Overall I am not hearing of Snow drama. It doesn't mean there won't be any with different combinations for example drivers that don't play well together, but generally Snow is a Go. I used DP for years and it was always stable as a rock but I heard the last version was messy so I couldn't speak about that. I don't use it anymore.

As long as you generally follow this procedure or your own brand of it you'll be okay anyway.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10469635-263.html?tag=mncol;posts

That's all I know ! I think you should just go for it.

Cheers!
snowbrow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Dreamaiden,

I really appreciate your time and thought, thank you. Since I know almost zilch about computer apps in this area, having recorded old school until now, I've been doing my homework on this as best I can prior to making any leaps, so it's really great to get input like this, thanks a mill. I'll be taking the plunge one way or another soon at any rate, so I'll let you know how it goes anon ...

Onward with the music,

Regards

Snowbrow
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What computer do you have? If you don't have one yet, the iMac with full power is a great way to go. You will definitely need an Intel Mac to run the latest Logic and I'm guessing DP. If I were you, I'd get an iMac and Logic. I would definitely max out the ram which is 16GB.

You also haven't said how many keyboards you have. Typically DP is easier to use with multiple keyboards regarding midi routing but I like Logic best anyway. The arrange window in Logic is a dream and Logic comes with bucket loads of soft synths and Apple loops. The reverb and delay is also really good.

It also depends on how you like to record, unfortunately sometimes you just don't know until you try them and see. I went through lots of keyboards and 3 DAWS and finally ended up with what suited me best - Logic, one keyboard and soft synths. Also, Logic being an Apple program is always up to date with their Macs. Besides, it's just very cool in that it has tons of little user friendly things about it, which is why I like Mac and Logic.
snowbrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be needing a mobile setup, so while I see your point re. the iMac, it'll more likely be a Macbook Pro with as much RAM as I can get, coupled with external drives for storage. As regards keyboards, there's any amount Smile (I'm something of a hoarder) but these days I use the Korg M3 or an old 01/W as sketchpads and these nearly always finish up in the final mixes together with a module or two. As I'd rather save any CPU overhead for audio recording and processing (there's vocals and other non-synth bits and pieces going in there too), I'll be going easy on the soft synths for now, although I'm hoping I'll be able to run a Synthology Ivory piano. Also good to hear you think the reverb and delay are up to scratch.
dreamaiden wrote:

It also depends on how you like to record.

The simpler the setup is, the better, but I guess a lot of people are with me on that one. I like to use a minimum of gear, as indeed seems to be the case with yourself. Results!
dreamaiden wrote:

Also, Logic being an Apple program is always up to date with their Macs.

Yes, that's pretty much a central issue with me - software, OS and hardware that actually fit without psychoanalysis Smile I switched to Mac last year for other tasks, and thus far I'm so impressed with the stability that that's what has more or less convinced me.

Thank you so much Dreamaiden, you've given me lots to think about.

Keep the music coming

Snowbrow
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are much alike in our thinking - simple and easy with as little drama as possible. Smile

Macbook Pro will work perfectly with this setup. You're good to go. Smile

If you get Logic, I can recommend that you go to MacProVideo.com and get their Logic video tutorials. MacProVideo is great.

cya !
snowbrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Should be making a decision within the next 2 months, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again...

Cool

Snowbrow
halfpastdead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamaiden wrote:
We are much alike in our thinking - simple and easy with as little drama as possible. Smile

Macbook Pro will work perfectly with this setup. You're good to go. Smile

If you get Logic, I can recommend that you go to MacProVideo.com and get their Logic video tutorials. MacProVideo is great.

cya !

amen, keep at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: