Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW videos on youtube
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee

The points and concerns I have with the Tyros arranger are definitely missing or have inconvenient access. I appreciate that there is a learning curve with a different keyboard manufacturer. I have owned Yamahas for years and the Tyros 3 was to supplement my musical needs with my PA2X and Karma. As a real comparison trial, I re-recorded my band using the same songs previously recorded with the PA2X but on the T3 - we record "live" into a recording desk (no double tracking) - this further confirmed my preferences for Korg plus the Yamaha styles don't come close to Korg's - Yamaha focus on (and demo) great intros and endings and that's it!!

Yes the Yamaha demos all look fine and effortless - remember that they don't have a dynamic audience that suddenly want something different. If you are just playing a firm set list of demonstration songs, then yes, the T3/4 or any arranger out there will work fine. The problem for me is when I want to perform those listed tasks (my list of problems with Tyros) the Tyros can't do it.
Quote:
So, my question is how do all these other people perform live so easily with the Tyros series?

Well - they are demos - fixed list of songs, fixed settings in a fixed order - live gigs need flexibility - T3/4 just doesn't have it conveniently organised.
Quote:
They are performing live and some pretty complex songs too. How do they do it ?

A vast number of their demos are sequences (Sharp made some comments about this a while ago). Nothing wrong with that but still doesn't reflect a true live performance - that is "using arranger features".
I have not yet seen a live band with a Tyros - I guess they must be there but....
Quote:
The Yamaha players say they love the OS and did not care for Korg OS when they had one?

Can't comment on that. If they went from PA1XPro/PA2X to Tyros then they clearly did not use (or need) all the features, flexibility and access I need.

Lee, as you are questioning which to buy I strongly recommend that you "set up" the Tyros 4 to suit your requirements and test it. It is a very highly priced keyboard and I think it is only fair that your local retailer should let you use it (even in store) for a few hours at least - maybe spread over a few days rather than in one hit.

The Tyros 4 may be a perfect solution for you but PLEASE take it for a long drive first!!!

Again, these comments are all about me and my needs and experiences - if Tyros OS had been redesigned and improved and available in a 76-note version, then I would have seriously considered one, but Yamaha have been lazy with the T4 - exactly the same casing, almost the same OS but lots of new sounds.

Hope some of this helps.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
thomasteele

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pete but also..the build on the tyros is not as good as korg tyros plastic / korgpa2x 3x metal
Lee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
Thanks...I see all your concerns. No, I never play for a live group (gigs). But I do play live...for me & family...all arragner play is live isn't it?

Did you listen to the work by Telmo? If not...go back and listen carefully and watch him perform...this is not sequenced, this is live play with styles...just like anyone does. And I just watched a lot of Tyros demos by Martin Harris...these are live and are not sequenced...
I do not see (please tell me, give a link) where Sharp is coming from on sequenced demos?

I do see and understand that the Yamaha is not near the flexible PRO arranger that Korg is..That is why I bought it.

Now, I have to hear the PA3, and compare the sound to the T4....then I can see whih way to go.

If the sound on the PA3 does not inspire me like the sound on the T4 I will go with sound quality. I will have to accept the short comings of the T4.

Back to my original question (and you have to listen & watch Temo's songs) if the T4 OS is so bad how does he make it look easy and it seems he is not wanting for anything he does not have?

Remember, I do not sing, I do not play in a band, I do not GIG out. But I do set down and play a song using styles, breaks, fills endings ect. I would use my arranger exactly like Telmo is doing on his songs.

Is how you play really different than what he is doing? Maybe that is what I need to understand.
Thanks,
Lee
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha WTF Laughing

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee

From your comments about your requirements, I think the T4 may work well for you.

I hope I didn't misquote Sharp, however, when the T4 was first demo's (there were about 30 short demos produced by Yam) it was pretty obvious that they were playing to sequences. It is hard for me to judge a player like Martin Harris - if I could play like him then I'd be a full time pro. It is the same as Peter Baartmanns (I think that's the spelling) who has demo'd Yamaha arrangers for a long while - brilliant players who have spent 100's of hours on these keyboards.

OK you ask how my playing the T3/4 would be different to Martin or Telmo - here's are just a few examples:-
1. In some songs I like to play my own chord progression on intro (T4 cannot do it)
2. In some songs I switch styles (T4 cannot do it - it has no tempo lock!!!)
3. In several songs I like to select Bass Inversion on and off (T4 requires several button presses to do this)
4. I like to have full control using FILLs and VARs (T3/4 does not allow you to do this - it has auto-fill ON or NO fills).
5. In some numbers (because I am not competent) I need to change chords quickly and so I like to use the "Fingered 1" style play preference so that I can quickly play fast change major chords by only pressing the root note key (T3/4 does NOT do this - Korg, Ketron does!!)
6. I like to see how long INTROs are and the T3/4 does not give you any indication of this.
7. I like the fact that the Korg will (optionally) return to the main STYLE play screen automatically (T3/4 requires 2 button pushes to do this)
8. Korg's DNC is great because I am in control (T3/4 applies its own intelligence - WITHOUT you pressing the SA switches - in SA2 technology and it is irritating at times not sounding authentic but other times it can be appropriate)
9. .....and I could go on......

So, if these things don't bother you for your requirements, then the Tyros may be a great solution for you.

I am NOT knocking the Tyros - personally I think that, as an arranger, the Tyros has a long way to go before it is "professional" - great sounds though!! I personally don't believe that it is comparable as a professional arranger, but as a sound device - OK.

Take your time and you'll make the right decision.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Lee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
OK I see all that you are saying...and yes some of those issues would bother me the way I play. And many more.

It really ticks me off that Yamaha wants to stay home keyboard...it is political and not technicle...Yamaha could do ANYTHING!
The high management is stubborn and mis-informed.. I think the PRO division (Motif) is afraid of the Tyros! I think they are putting a hold on the home keyboard division...that is why we do not see a 76 key as well.
Some say this is not true...I am convinced it is!
And PLENTY of people buy the Yamaha...Plenty...so they reap in the $$.
There is a lot more home keyboard players than PRO arranger players!
Yamaha has a huge following...people must just adjust to the missing feaures??

My opinion is even though people all over the world buy PA...if they lost the Mid-east(and some of Europe) customers KorgPA would be in big trouble.

So, the delima,,,,once again is: PRO features VS better sound (for the music I do).

FRUSTRATING!
Lee
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Guys Listen up now, Seriusly, TYROS 4 Is an Amazing Unit when it comes to Sound, And how clearly it is,
But!!!
Many of the fuctions are hard to get into it!
One example is Scales.
I played on one , here in MALMOE, My best friends Store, One of the biggest,
Styles are the same, Some is incredible, Some is still TOY sounding, So it depends Whom maded the styles.

Yamy is great sounding but still old Styles, Like tango , Waltz and more,
Ok there is some great RNB DANCE And more,
But not much as the OLDIES.

Souns are like VSTI, Great Pianos, Great Strings Gitars And ETC.

I heave 2 X, And T2. And belive me, I Like the KOTG, Its great machine, Some things that missing is on the way In 3 X format! So i hope i will decide to get one, SOON!
In PA3xX there is many more functions, Ribbon , Great Voice modelling, Great design, good styles, and some new sounds, Also Better FX Than 2 x, So there is many news, I hope they can give us a Program to make Sets and sounds, Styles and Other.
For now, WAITING!

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: