Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sudden Volume Decrease?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retired&wired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Sudden Volume Decrease? Reply with quote

While jamming with one of the combi's, the volume suddenly decreases. This has happened only a couple of times and if I switch to another combi and then back to the one I was playing, the volume is once again normal.

Has anyone experienced this? I am using Live 8 and an APC40 and have not yet tried to isolate this.

Thanks
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like a glitchy controller. I've seen this before when performing, one of the controls is dirty etc... and sends out a low value. Just a possibility.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should check the vector joystick since it stays and accidentally touching it (or bad vibrations) can change its place from the center.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's probably the Joystick!
retired&wired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Maybe you should check the vector joystick since it stays and accidentally touching it (or bad vibrations) can change its place from the center.

that makes sense. since my hands are all over the control surface, I'll see if I can turn the vector joystick off so I don't inadvertently move it.

Thanks.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joystick should not mute sounds. Not a good choice.
retired&wired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
The joystick should not mute sounds. Not a good choice.

This is a quote from the Kronos parameter guide that suggests the vector joystick can change the volume:

1–5a: Vector Volume Control
Vector Volume Control lets you adjust the relative
volumes of Oscillators 1 and 2 by moving the Vector
Joystick

I found the control on the PROGRAM P1:BASIC/VECTOR ... Vector Control screen.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know it can, but should it?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joystick is not an active control.....it is passive. you can move it off center, on purpose prior to the beginning of your performance. If its cocked over to the extreme left of its range of motion, then you will be unlikely to inadvertently move it. Then, as you recall each new patch in your set, the vector value saved with the patch will still call up to its "saved" setting, which is usually the center point. Even though the physical control is off to the left, the program or combi will play as it should....only when you move the physical joystick will it "catch" the vector parameter and allow you to manipulate the vector. Whats good about this solution is that its global, and does not require you to edit all of your patches one by one to adjust or turn off vectoring. I find that with the vector joystick hard left....its not sticking up and not a target for my big paws as I futz around, especially reaching for the master volume pot.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
retired&wired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
The joystick is not an active control.....it is passive. you can move it off center, on purpose prior to the beginning of your performance. If its cocked over to the extreme left of its range of motion, then you will be unlikely to inadvertently move it. Then, as you recall each new patch in your set, the vector value saved with the patch will still call up to its "saved" setting, which is usually the center point. Even though the physical control is off to the left, the program or combi will play as it should....only when you move the physical joystick will it "catch" the vector parameter and allow you to manipulate the vector. Whats good about this solution is that its global, and does not require you to edit all of your patches one by one to adjust or turn off vectoring. I find that with the vector joystick hard left....its not sticking up and not a target for my big paws as I futz around, especially reaching for the master volume pot.

thanks for your input. at this point I am a little overwhelmed by the stuff packed into this workstation. good news is that it will take me YEARS to figure it all out and that will save me loads of cash, not having to buy the next, best workstation.

Again, I appreciate your input.
retired&wired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Oh I know it can, but should it?

oh yea...I understand what you are saying. this thing is packed with so many 'features' that it's easy to futz things up with a push of a button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: