Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

number of voices on M50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robtaube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: number of voices on M50 Reply with quote

I have been setting up a bass/keyboard split Combi on my M50 based on the preset "Bass and Old EP" . after some editing, I noticed that my modified combi can only play 5 voices at once*, whereas the original preset seems to have no such limitation. I have been through and through what seems all the editing options and can't seem to change this. Any advice? (I've already tried the "voices" tab in the Tone Adjust section.)

*So I can only play one bass note and a four-note chord, no more. This causes annoying "cut-outs" while playing live.
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an M50 but my guess is that it has something to do with the effects being shared when you're in combi mode, whereas in program mode all the effects can be devoted to that one program.

Try posting in the M50 subforum for more informed discussion from other M50 owners.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=53
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effects don't use up polyphony, however if notes are cut off with effects it can cause it more audible.

Also, you probably layer something otherwise you would probably have more than 5 voices at once.

Solutions:
- check if unused programs are muted or off.
If this does not work:
- Set each timbre to solo one by one (this should normally don't give note stealing)
- Set each time only 2 or 3 timbres on to check which causes the problem.
- You can also try to remove the effects and add them one by one to check if it matters.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robtaube,

Did you do a 1-to-1 copy of "Bass & Old EP"?

In many combis (on all the Tritons I own) some combinations set up voices so as to play only one oscillator even tho' the program voice may use two.

In a particularly thick (multi layered) combi I can see where using some voices in their double vice single mode would cause that voice robbing. One possible solution would be to look at the combi's osc-edit page and switch from program (dual) mode to OSC 1 or OSC 2 depending on what voice you wanted more.

It sounds to me like the bass (or possibly lead sound) you're using might also be set as mono in program mode which would cause something that sounds much like voice stealing since the programed voice you're using might be limited to only one note by design. Again, the fix for that is to look at the combi osc-edit page and select poly (as opposed to mono or program); then even mono bass voices will behave as if programed polyphonically.

Hope this helps.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: