Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What amp/speaker will you be using with your kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Quote:
I don't know how different it is, but I had a KP-200S, and thought acoustic piano sounded pretty bad through it. I also can't deal with these 50 pound amps. The EV ZXA1 sounds better and only weighs 19 pounds. I gig in mono, but even if you want stereo, a pair of these is a lot easier to move around than the big MotionSounds. I'm not sure as to whether or not they will go as loud, though. I'd be curious to hear those RCFs.

Piano sounds great on the MotionSound KP-500sn, and the 3 band eq on each channel is very musical for dialing in how the piano sounds in that room. But you've got to turn off the Expander circuit, that makes the piano sound a bit strange. And it has a variable speed fan that ramps up and down depending on how much bass you're playing at the moment; I normally can't hear, but when it's in a quiet space and it's extra close, I find it a little annoying.

I'm not one for schleeping 50 pound boxes either, which is why I'm surprised that I'm OK with this MotionSound. With casters on the bottom, I do very little lifting, and with the well-placed handles on the sides, a "bear hug" lift makes it surprisingly easy to move up stairs, etc.

The thing that's a little strange about this amp is that it is short and squat, and doesn't have monitor angles built in, so for optimal angling, having it 3-6' behind me with a small amp stand that aims it up is ideal, or simply setting it on something that puts the speakers on ear level.

And having a 1 point stereo source thats reasonable to schleep has a lot of advantages: you're still getting stereo (and some of these boxes are much better than others in delivering a "stereo experience"; this MotionSound does a good job); you have only one box to deal with; just one set of audio cables and power cable to set up; takes up less room, and configuring the ideal positioning for a good stereo sound is mostly a no-brainer. AND, it's distributing the sound in the room much more than a single source would do.

Using 2 single speakers, you'd need speaker stands or monitor angles built-in to the cabs, and even then you've got to negotiate the space required (on small stages, in crowded living rooms, etc.) for the optimal placement.

That's why I'd be an advocate for a keyboard sound system that could attach to brackets coming off the keyboard stand, something like the small monitors used for vocal monitoring (like the Mackie SRM-150
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie-SRM150-Compact-Active-PA-System-601064-i1759578.gc) that was in turn connected to a powerful 12" sub on the floor. That would rock! Even better, having 2 monitors on each side of the keyboard stand, so that 1 is facing in towards me, and the other is facing towards outwards so your sound can be heard by others as well; or even better, each of the keyboard stand mounted speakers would project 360 degree sound!

Yeah, 19 pounds is tempting- in fact, I've been considering the ZXA1's because of their reputation for good sound quality, reasonable price, and light weight; but then we're talking needing a sub if you wanted performance level volume and bass.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, I run a pair of QSC K8s for everything. Gigs (keys and DJ), rehearsals and near-field monitoring. I won't pretend that they are ultra flat and accurate for near-fields, but I've never had a room that is, either. I go headphones for critical listening.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
having a 1 point stereo source thats reasonable to schleep has a lot of advantages...you have only one box to deal with; just one set of audio cables and power cable to set up; takes up less room....

Yes. For those kinds of reasons, I sometimes use a Roland SA-300, which is easier to move than the MotionSound. But it's definitely a compromise, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the ZXA1. It doesn't even push as much bass, even though it has a 12" vs the 8" in the EV. But the ergonomics are nice. No running wires everywhere, no speaker tripods, no separate mixer or mixer stand. There are times speed and convenience of setup take precedence.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the ev zxa1 for one night and returned it the next day. I loved the tone but hated the white noise. My K10's don't have that white noise sound but they do have a fan that kicks on once in awhile that doesn't bother me though. I prefer the K10's the EV. The 15 inch ev was recommended to me but they were 150 miles away and I wasn't about to drive there to hear them and they didn't want the sale bad enough to toss them on their truck and bring them so I don't know what type were like. I can say I have not for even one minute regretted dropping the cash for the QSC K-10's I love them. I use them for everything now from my ipod to wavedrum to movies and games. I know I am a broken record.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Quote:
I can say I have not for even one minute regretted dropping the cash for the QSC K-10's I love them. I use them for everything now from my ipod to wavedrum to movies and games. I know I am a broken record.

I've heard of a lot of people who swear by the K10's and K12's, it seems to be becoming something of a standard. It's a little puzzling to me though, 'cause the JBL PRX 612m is $100 cheaper (than the comparable K12, and the same price as the K10) and gets the same good reviews as the K series do. AND, the JBLs are 34 pounds vs 41.

The market for hi-power, hi-fidelity front-of-house performance powerhouses has suddenly gotten very rich indeed. Here's the 3 new top players I've been hearing alot about in the the $600-$800 price range:

: EV just came out with the Live X series, their new 1000 watt 12" getting top reviews as well, for the best price in the group so far: $600!

: Peavey has had a new ribbon mic speaker on the market for $800, haven't heard many reports yet

: Yamaha recently came out with a blockbuster, the DSR 112: wood cabinet 12", 1300 watts, $800, 47 pounds. Has the loudest output, has had many glowing reviews about its fidelity and power.

Like the keyboard world, things are thankfully getting lighter and more powerful! A forum I enjoy learning from on this subject is Harmony Centrals Live Sound and Production: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forumdisplay.php?33-Live-Sound-amp-Production

Quote:
My K10's... have a fan that kicks on once in awhile, that doesn't bother me though.

Do you practice in a quiet space, or is it easily noticeable? I really dislike fan noise!
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I had the ev zxa1 for one night and returned it the next day. I loved the tone but hated the white noise.

My ZXA1s are not silent when powered up, but the noise level really seems rather quiet (certainly below anything I'd find objectionable at a gig). I wonder if there might have been a defect in yours?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did love the tone of the EV's and the live was recommended to me but I wasn't doing a 150 mile one way trip for them to make a sale when they have a truck running between stores everyday!

The noise wasn't bad but I do practice in a very quite place and that is why the white noise bothered me and why the fan noise doesn't. I can tame the fan noise with a little foam on a wall. I really wanted the PV impulse 12d but our nephew had a pair in the store sold them and they were back right away because they got very noisy. I don't know what happened then all i know is they went back t Peavey for warranty work otherwise I couldn't find a set to try. i think a lot of the QSC success is because to can find stores to try them at. I have not seen the Peavey, EV live or JBL in any store around me.

AJ at sweetwater tells me the Peavey impulse 12D sounds better then the QSC K12 but after the news from the nephew I wasn't about to try them out and get stuck for return shipping. I did prefer the K10's and 12s to the K8 but I was testing them with my Wavedrum and it has a pretty wide range of frequencies it hits incredible lows. I assume the Kronos will have some stellar lows as well. Really though most of these new powered speakers I think are pretty nice, it just comes down to some personal preferences. A little bit of white noise doesn't bother a lot of people but the fan would I am opposite, go figure! Wink
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my kronos 61 is going straight out gigging, after a day or two programming the sounds and combi' i need, we use in ear monitors, and at home probably just a nice pair of headphones.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmm... I'm going to use my stereo. Mr. Green

At some point, when I have almost everything else I want, I'm considering a light but loud PA rig with a sub and a pair of good sounding mains.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be using my Tannoy monitors... they kick ass!!

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Rockitman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: EV ZXA1 Reply with quote

I have been using my EV SXA360, but now I went ahead and ordered a ZXA1 for smaller stages and quieter rooms. 19lbs instead of 37lbs.
I'll have to see how it stands up to the full rock band.
I can always put an SXA360 on my side and the ZXA1 on the other side
so the guitarist/bass and singer can hear me.
Now a can setup my Korg MicroX (2 octave keys) and go with a super-mini rig for practice and casual jam sessions...LOL
Rockitman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: EV ZXA1 Reply with quote

I have been using my EV SXA360, but now I went ahead and ordered a ZXA1 for smaller stages and quieter rooms. 19lbs instead of 37lbs.
I'll have to see how it stands up to the full rock band.
I can always put an SXA360 on my side and the ZXA1 on the other side
so the guitarist/bass and singer can hear me.
Now a can setup my Korg MicroX (2 octave keys) and go with a super-mini rig for practice and casual jam sessions...LOL
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
Uhmm... I'm going to use my stereo. Mr. Green

At some point, when I have almost everything else I want, I'm considering a light but loud PA rig with a sub and a pair of good sounding mains.

at home, I also used a normal stereo for a long time ... however, real monitors really make a difference. Of course it depends on the stereo.

If you gig, I suggest buy good powered monitors (or in ear), for home reference monitors.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackie HR 824 MK2s with a Velodyne DD15.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: