Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I hope you can help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: I hope you can help... Reply with quote

Although I am normally a total KORG user, when I found a cheap-ish Yamaha DX7 Mk-1, I couldn't pass it up. However, it has one major problem...

You see, whenever I start it up, I have to restart it about 7 times because it keeps saying that the RAM is corrupt. Truly, what happens is is scrambles its own RAM, scrambling global settings, internal presets (it has Grey Matter's E! Card, so it has those sounds), and I'm pretty sure that's why the Mod wheel doesn't work anymore.

I should note that I can re-synthesize (aka reprogram) any sounds back into it, but I really hate having to spend 20 minutes reprogramming. I shoudl also note that I cannot remove the E! card due to not having the IC chip it plugs into. The synth does work as it should once I reset everything to the way it was.

Now, I am totally sure it could be because it is an almost 30 years old computer and really doesn't want to be working anymore, but if anyone has any tips on how to make the DX7 stop scrambling its own memory, I would be greatly appreciative.

Regards,
Yoa

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess would be the battery, which might have an intermittent connection or low voltage. If that doesn't help, you could go over to the Yamaha forum (UK), where a lot of helpful guys will surely help you out with the best advices.

Hope you'll get it sorted.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use FM8 to get any of the DX7 patches I want, without using 30 year old hardware.
Yoa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthjoe, thanks, I just joined them and will ask them after I change the battery.

xml, if I could afford that, I might get it. $150 on eBay isn't bad for a mostly-functioning hardware DX7, though.

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yoa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that's a hell of a deal. Well, the guy who sold it didn't really know what he was doing and he said it worked perfectly, which with this thing's history so far it probably did when it was shipped! But hey, manuals are free online, and with a midi-usb connection, I can use literally every cartridge on the market, including custom ones. For my purposes, it's not bad! haha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: