Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark/aggressive sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Dark/aggressive sounds Reply with quote

Does anyone have any demos of dark and aggressive distorted sounds on the Kronos? Possibly riffing with KARMA.

I'm mainly interested in synths, but a madly overdriven organ sound is also one of my favourites..

And are there any proper modern sounding electronic dance/club style drums?

Kind of stuck with all the piano and ep demoes on the Internet.. They ARE nice, but not really very useful to me.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this post for example: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63709
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark/aggressive sounds Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Kind of stuck with all the piano and ep demoes on the Internet.. They ARE nice, but not really very useful to me.

Lolz...i never understood that either...why would anyone buy a 4000$
mashine just for Pianos and EPs...and there is only those Demos.
SoundsOfPlanet
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark/aggressive sounds Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Does anyone have any demos of dark and aggressive distorted sounds on the Kronos? Possibly riffing with KARMA.

I'm mainly interested in synths, but a madly overdriven organ sound is also one of my favourites..

Check this http://soundsofplanet.manifo.com/demo--neo--endorphin

I recommend: Bed Lead and TECHNO DREAMS

http://www.soundsofplanet.com/
one Man -one Kronos- and new sounds by Sounds of Planet
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's a good start and I hear some interesting stuff but still relatively soft..

Here's what I'm doing with the Radias at the moment:
http://soundcloud.com/patternbeyondrandom/ff-demo
That isn't a final master by the way, I think it sounds a bit dull but I'm not sure. That's all one patch by the way Cool

It's a very raw sound, I do use a lot of decimator. This is just a kind of sound that 'evolved' from the instruments to be a kind of signature for us.

I imagine the MS20EX would be very useful but i'm also very curious about MOD7 and AL1. Again, an absolutely barking organ sound would be nice to hear.

I haven't had a chance to demo one yet.
Basically I'm thinking about replacing my entire live rig with just the Kronos. I may have to keep the laptop for backing tracks in Ableton but I'd rather not. Whilst I love being on stage behind a stack of synths with rack case and mixer, it's a lot to transport and takes an age to set up.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

Here's what I'm doing with the Radias at the moment:

I've listened to your demo, and these kind of sounds can be easely done on the kronos with the MS20 module.

I've almost finished my new MS20 soundset which will be shared for free with the community and that one also contains a couple of those 'waveshaped distorted' sounds to get you started.

I will see if i can make a youtube demo of some of the sounds this wednesday to show you some of those sounds.

X-Trade wrote:

yes, in the kronos you have presets for the 909, 808, filtered house kits, etc. Also it's very easy to create drumkits yourself (i've programmed a hardhouse kit for my own purposes). Also you could expand the wave library with your own drum samples that you can use for your own drumkits.

So lot's of possibilities for drums.

Here's an example where i modify the bass sound to a more aggressive sound in realtime with KARMA enabled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKES-PayurE

i've created a couple of trance demo's with modern style drums, you can find them here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3LftakET30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE6Ga6BrYV0

So i hope this gives you a little impression of different styles in the Kronos.

X-Trade wrote:

Basically I'm thinking about replacing my entire live rig with just the Kronos. I may have to keep the laptop for backing tracks in Ableton but I'd rather not.

that's not necessary with the kronos. You can put the backing track on the Kronos where the track is streamed from SSD and where you can play along the backing track live. Check my backing track tutorial for that to see how that's done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edzVvnGccgc
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that's good stuff.

I'm quite familiar with programming and all that, but I've been dubious about whether the Kronos can fulfill my needs primarily because of all the uber-clean and smoothe demos and abundance of pianos. My ms2000 and Radias can get really nasty and that is what I love about them.
I'd like to see that demo when you've done it.

As for the backing tracks, we try to keep things semi-live so when I say 'backing tracks', we're actually looping sections of the song to select during the song live. Ableton works really well for this. I had started before using RPPR but then got Ableton. I suppose I could sample and slice the different parts, or perhaps use wave sequencing even. Th problem with RPPR is that there is no stopping of other patterns. Hitting the 'kill all' area stops your new pattern from starting, so in my experience I had to remember to stop the current set of patterns AND start the next set at the same time, it's a lot to do whilst playing compared to Ableton's tracks and scenes.. Anyway, that's an entirely different problem.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice industrial man...brings me back to the days of me banging my head
while listening to Klaus Larsen (Leaether Strip) or Rudy Ratzinger (Wumpscut) Very Happy
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I'm quite familiar with programming and all that, but I've been dubious about whether the Kronos can fulfill my needs primarily because of all the uber-clean and smoothe demos and abundance of pianos. My ms2000 and Radias can get really nasty and that is what I love about them.
I'd like to see that demo when you've done it.

i've tried the decimator effect yesterday on the kronos and it's really powerful. You can completely destroy the sound when you lower the bitrate. You can also use any modulation source to modify the decimator effect, so it has great possibilities for the the things you want to do.

X-Trade wrote:

As for the backing tracks, we try to keep things semi-live so when I say 'backing tracks', we're actually looping sections of the song to select during the song live. Ableton works really well for this.

Ok, then i misunderstood you. I think you should stick to ableton live for this purpose. Ableton live is one of the best solutions for that when you play patterns in the background. Especially when you use the novation ableton launch pad with it Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to demo try one out tomorrow (hopefully!!) - a Kronos 61.
Any particular factory programs or combis anyone can recommend that might interest me?
irtehyar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorite factory sounds for dark/aggressive stuff are in mod-7.

Try

F048 Following the suspect
F027 Gonzo Bass
F031 Nuklear DOG Bass

Make sure you turn on karma and abuse the joystick and two buttons over the mod wheel!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is pretty cool.

I didn't necessarily find anything too exciting in the presets, but I did enjoy playing many of the sounds and particularly the sound quality of some sounds.

Th monitoring conditions weren't great, there was a DJ demo going on next to me, and I had to keep an impatient singer entertained whilst I found my way around the somewhat familiar user interface. I have played the OASYS a few times.

I returned after a coffee and removed the singer.. Rolling Eyes And immediately started a more scientific evaluation. I had high hopes for the MS20Ex and they were satisfied instantly.
I found an AL-1 preset in U-A and reset it to use MS20Ex, routed VJS+X to LPF, VJS+Y to HPF, reduced the envelope, and hit drum track and KARMA. pretty neat! Jump into the IFX and get a decimator in there at 4bit with no damping or filters, and it started screaming and howling and growling unlike any synth I've ever owned. Very Happy

I have some really bad recordings of this on my blackberry.. May be able to post them up.

Didn't get so far with CX-3 but from what I've heard of it online, it seems promising. In person I was a little disappointed, but as I said the conditions weren't great. I did get close to some of my super distortion sounds but need to dig into the rotary speaker settings a bit more I think.

I might have to get myself one of these..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: