Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

boot speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordofscones

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: boot speed Reply with quote

Has anyone done any experimentation to quicken the boot speed?
1.5 to 2 mins seems awfully long for an OS to load, especially from SSD.
Seeming as the sounds play direct from the SSD (or am I mistaken?) what is it actually doing all that time?
phenaste

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, 130 seconds is quite long to load an OS from a SSD.
Microsoft Windows 7 would probably boots into 40s with Kronos hardware specs, of course without any additionnal drivers or services (Network services for examples) but only audio card, video card, music controllers, storage controller and USB drivers Smile
But after OS load, you have to load : EXi, Prog & Combi reference (with associated PRELOADED.KSC), Seq mode, Sampling etc... All sounds are not streamed from SSD, in fact only the SGX-1 are ! MOD-7, AL-1, MS-20EX, PolysixEX are synthesis models, no samples, they are loaded as "plug-ins" into the Core of the Kronos OS. HD-1 programs are based on PRELOADED.KSC samples.

The boot time does not seem to be boost even if you upgrade the SSD. Sad
So the only possibility is to optimize the boot sequence and users don't know the detailed steps of the boot sequence. Question

Three options :

- Development team hasn't worked on the boot time, because it's not a "bug" and it will be proceed later.
    - Development team has done some efforts since a long time, and they not came back to enhanced the boot time.
    - Development team has already done is best effort. No solution.

But I'm convinced that the boot time can be reduced.
An estimation of 70s ~ 90s might be consistent.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's un-Godly!!!

Name a working musician who hasn't been a part of a blown circuit breaker or fuse on stage!!!

I have to sit there with my thumb up my arse with the band and the audience / dancefloor looking at me while the freakin Kronos takes 2 minutes to boot before we start playing again.

I just look at everybody with my nervous grin, teeth showing and say; "This is a brand new top of the line keyboard with 9 synth engines". And they all just give me the finger!

GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Korg MUST fix this!!!!!
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys really serious?

If you want instant on, get a battery powered Casio keyboard for backup.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
It's un-Godly!!!

Name a working musician who hasn't been a part of a blown circuit breaker or fuse on stage!!!

I have to sit there with my thumb up my arse with the band and the audience / dancefloor looking at me while the freakin Kronos takes 2 minutes to boot before we start playing again.

I just look at everybody with my nervous grin, teeth showing and say; "This is a brand new top of the line keyboard with 9 synth engines". And they all just give me the finger!

GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Korg MUST fix this!!!!!

Why not use a UPS if this is a problem?

Another way: make sure the band has a song that can be played without keyboards (or without the Kronos).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really.... Just use a UPS, this issue goes away! I've gigged with computers since the Atari days, and I wouldn't be without one.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenaste wrote:
Microsoft Windows 7 would probably boots into 40s with Kronos hardware specs, of course without any additionnal drivers or services (Network services for examples) but only audio card, video card, music controllers, storage controller and USB drivers Smile
But after OS load, you have to load : EXi, Prog & Combi reference (with associated PRELOADED.KSC), Seq mode, Sampling etc... All sounds are not streamed from SSD, in fact only the SGX-1 are ! MOD-7, AL-1, MS-20EX, PolysixEX are synthesis models, no samples, they are loaded as "plug-ins" into the Core of the Kronos OS. HD-1 programs are based on PRELOADED.KSC samples.

So the only possibility is to optimize the boot sequence and users don't know the detailed steps of the boot sequence. Question

Three options :

- Development team hasn't worked on the boot time, because it's not a "bug" and it will be proceed later.
    - Development team has done some efforts since a long time, and they not came back to enhanced the boot time.

Show me ANY computer setup that is ready to play live in less than 2 minutes ... that includes booting up, loading daw, your vsts (16 vsts), tracks setup, and ready to play live with minimal latency and then be able to switch from song to song without hickups...
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
phenaste wrote:

Three options :

Show me ANY computer setup that is ready to play live in less than 2 minutes ... that includes booting up, loading daw, your vsts (16 vsts), tracks setup, and ready to play live with minimal latency and then be able to switch from song to song without hickups...

+1, my thoughts, exactly.

Also, yes, get a UPS, already.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, lugging an extra 50lbs UPS / Voltage regulator is the Elephant in the room solution to a simple matter of Korg speeding up the boot process.

That makes a whole lot of sense. Just what I need, more equipment to setup/breakdown/ and cart around on a my gigs.

AND, I DO have an OCZ SSD 189 Gig drive in my custom built QuadCore Win7 64bit machine and from a cold boot it starts in 40 seconds to a usable condition. Let me know and I will YouTube a video of it.

SO DON'T TELL ME IT CAN'T BE DONE!
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
Are you guys really serious?

If you want instant on, get a battery powered Casio keyboard for backup.

You obviously don't gig very much, do you?
KevinH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
Sure, lugging an extra 50lbs UPS / Voltage regulator is the Elephant in the room solution to a simple matter of Korg speeding up the boot process.

CyberPower has 8 port UPS systems that are essentially a big power strip and they only weight around 10-15 lbs. So, there are lighter options out there.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:

That makes a whole lot of sense. Just what I need, more equipment to setup/breakdown/ and cart around on a my gigs.

AND, I DO have an OCZ SSD 189 Gig drive in my custom built QuadCore Win7 64bit machine and from a cold boot it starts in 40 seconds to a usable condition. Let me know and I will YouTube a video of it.

SO DON'T TELL ME IT CAN'T BE DONE!

You are comparing your QuadCore Win7 64bit to KRONOS? THAT can't be done. BTW, you never sure if the computer will ever come back up from a power outage.... blue screen.. corrupt memory dump... etc.

What other workstation is up and running with as many features as KRONOS in less than 2 minutes?

Faster than 2 minutes for KRONOS bootup? not going to happen... prepare for it being longer when you use your own samples.... seriously!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never, ever had a blown circuit or fuse and I gig ALL the time.
The worst I've had was a dB meter coupled with a circuit breaker that cut power when the band was too loud. But then the whole thing had to be reset anyways and people had to already go off the dance floor to get beer, not to mention there were people from the location threatening to shut us down if we didn't turn it down.

I agree that 2 minutes is long, but I don't really see it as a problem. Is power really that bad in many places in the US?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two times a power loss in my life. That is 2 times out of about 150-300 gigs.

Normally a PA system also needs about a minute or more to power up, same with guitarists.

I am not going to take a UPS with me ... if the audience can wait 1 minute, they also can wait 2 minutes ... and otherwise they play a song where I don't have a big effort in or even a song that can do without keys.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: