Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anyone beta test the editor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RKfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Did anyone beta test the editor? Reply with quote

Looks like there are a few release issues with the editor. Considering that quite a few of us volunteered (for free) to act as beta testers its a little sad that the Editor has been released in the state it has.

I think we would have spotted the screen resolution problem and some of the performance issues - but no-one contacted me. Did anyone on this forum get asked to beta test in the end??
AlchemistMusicStudio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silence must be heard... Silenced

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlchemistMusicStudio
http://www.myspace.com/remiplanet
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan... there is no screen resolution problem with the editor.....
AlchemistMusicStudio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimal interface visibility is above 1600 x 900 (no scroll bar).

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlchemistMusicStudio
http://www.myspace.com/remiplanet
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify - on my set-up (with a pretty old monitor) at its highest resolution the editor runs off the bottom of the screen. As I have said in a different thread it means I need to get a new monitor in order to use the editor, and since I plan to get a new monitor in a month or so this will not be an issue. However a scroll bar on the RHS would be useful too - and save me a few quid.

My main point was that although lots of people volunteered as beta testers it seems that our offer was not taken up. And since I do testing as part of my job, its an opportunity missed.

When I get some time this week - have the week off I will have a chance to really put the editor through its paces.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
To clarify - on my set-up (with a pretty old monitor) at its highest resolution the editor runs off the bottom of the screen. As I have said in a different thread it means I need to get a new monitor in order to use the editor, and since I plan to get a new monitor in a month or so this will not be an issue. However a scroll bar on the RHS would be useful too - and save me a few quid.

My main point was that although lots of people volunteered as beta testers it seems that our offer was not taken up. And since I do testing as part of my job, its an opportunity missed.

When I get some time this week - have the week off I will have a chance to really put the editor through its paces.

NDA= non disclosure agreement.

likely, the beta testers had to sign it
Chrutil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
My main point was that although lots of people volunteered as beta testers it seems that our offer was not taken up.

I don't think you can conclude that.
First of all any beta tester would be under an NDA and not be able to reveal that they were, indeed, beta testing.
Then when it comes to beta feedback, things like resizable GUI is feedback that is typically out of scope to change once you reach beta - but I agree that some of the more obvious glitches that people seem to have found should have been identified during a beta phase, but just because they are found does not mean that they will be addressed.
I have seen very solid software being released without beta testing, and I have seen flaky software released that went through extensive beta cycles.
If you are not satisfied with the quality or feature set of a piece of software, you surely have all rights to complain, but I don't think you can complain about it not being beta tested, because we cannot know if it was.
C
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrutil makes some good points. The purpose of beta testing is usually to find critical bugs that prevent the software from operating within its designed specifications. Unexpected crashes, lost data, UI controls that don't work are in the realm of the beta tester. Potential usability issues and general design flaws are not. By the time beta testing commences, the design phases have been long completed and the product is usually close to shipping, making radical changes infeasible.

Beta testing is like the Quality-Assurance tester on the iPad production line. Their job is to make sure that each iPad turns on, that the screen works and is legible and that the panels and chassis fit together within the specified tolerance. It'a not their job to report that the UI is outdated, that a higher-spec processor should be used and there is no expandable memory.

I am as disappointed with the usability of the editor as many of you and see it as a lost opportunity to create something brilliant. But int his case, by the time it got to beta testing, I suspect that ship had already sailed.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Did anyone beta test the editor? Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
Looks like there are a few release issues with the editor. Considering that quite a few of us volunteered (for free) to act as beta testers its a little sad that the Editor has been released in the state it has.

I think we would have spotted the screen resolution problem and some of the performance issues - but no-one contacted me. Did anyone on this forum get asked to beta test in the end??

I don't think Dan asked for volunteers to betatest the editor, but for beta-versions of the OS...

But again, I don't think anybody got to betatest the 1.6 OS ? Or did they ?
jahrome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrutil wrote:

I don't think you can conclude that.
First of all any beta tester would be under an NDA and not be able to reveal that they were, indeed, beta testing.

That's not completely true..at least from my experience. I have tested products in the past. I could reveal that I am a beta tester but just not give any additional details I am not authorized to give.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the policy or NDA (generally; not Korg specific).

Some NDAs define that beta testers should not even mention they ARE testers, some NDAs define that they cannot specify when /what is the test scope and some NDAs define that information from the test (results)/details can be published.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt complaining - just curious since we were asked to volunteer - just wondered if anyone was picked. What I was not asking is "was this piece of crap beta tested" - this was not my intention at all............. (misinterpreted again)....

Anyway I have had a bit more of a play with it and - since its free - can't really complain with what we were given for nothing.

Two things I think are great is (1) the ability to copy a backup of my current set-up and (2) I can write .ins files for Sonar.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for nothing is not really true.

Part of the price of the Kronos paid is for developing the editor (if one uses it or not).

So it should have at least the minimum 'conditions' of what the software supposes to do.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is completely up to Korg if they use a broader field of betatesters or not (be sure they have some they know for long). And we will never know if any betatester gave them the appropriate feedback: that this software may work relatively stable (not crashing all the time), but anyway just isn't up to the task of speeding up workflow in a smart way.

It looks to me rather like a big parameter mirror tool, than helping musicians making music with the Kronos, and recording it into software DAWs.
Wasn't that the original purpose of developing this software???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: