Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos + Sonar: audio output and midi performance to wav

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clandestino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Kronos + Sonar: audio output and midi performance to wav Reply with quote

After a few days playing with Sonar and the Kronos, I'm slowly getting in control of the whole thing. However there are still a couple of details I don't get...

(For info, I'm using Kronos with original OS 1.05 and Sonar v6)

First: in Sonar, I set the audio interface output to the Kronos. However, when I start Sonar, it tells me something about the audio driver not compliant or already in use by another application, and this Sonar is unable to use it. So, when I add audio loops to my projets, they're not sent back to the Kronos as I expected. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to setup something specific on the Kronos again?

Second: once I have completed a project on Sonar, I would like to keep a track of it. Obviously, I can't use Sonar to render it as MP3 or WAV. But I think I read somewhere that the Kronos is able to record what it receives in MIDI and audio and output it as a stereo WAV file. However, I couldn't find a simple way to do that in the documentation. Did anyone already tried that before? I suppose that it's happening only on the Kronos and it's pretty much DAW-independent...

Of course, thanks again in advance for all the help you can bring me!
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a Kronos, but was really interested in your post since I'm considering getting one, and would love to use it, besides as a synth, as an AUDIO INTERFACE, much like my Juli@ from Egosys.

I also use Sonar, but 8.3.1

would it be easy to set up and record instruments, etc? I was also wondering if whenever you're using the kronos as an interface you can also, a the same time record its internal sounds withing Sonar...

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
Edson Caetano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sonar X1d recognizes the Midi In of the Kronos, but does not allow use it, the editor works fine on stand alone, what to do to properly recognize the Kronos on Sonar?
clandestino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about version X1, but on Sonar 6, I just had to select "KRONOS MIDI" for input and "KRONOS SOUND" for output, and it worked. Nothing more was required.

Probably stupid: did you tried to start the kronos, then the computer, then the DAW?
fclef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Sonar X1; however, the process should be similar. First of all, the Kronos USB interface only works properly for audio if you use the MME driver in Sonar, not ASIO or WDM. Secondly, Sonar can indeed render a WAV file. Once you're finished your project, insert an audio track, arm it to record and then record your sequence into this track. Once recorded you can export the audio track as a WAV file. (AFAIK Sonar can only directly render audio from soft synth tracks.) You might want to consider updating your version of Sonar to either 8.5 or X1 - there are many new features.
In the past: Korg DS8, M1, T3, Trinity, O1W, Wavestation, Triton Extreme, Triton Studio 76
clandestino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint, fclef. So I have to figure out how to set Sonar to use the MME driver.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really curious how anybody gets by with the incredible latency of a MME driver. Razz
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, didn't know that about MME... somehow I was dreaming about having an ASIO audio interface included within the Kronos and recording with/through it!

guess I'll have to stick to my M-audio fast track, athough it's giving me headaches in Win 7 ultimate 64 bits... everytime I work within Sonar with it, I get this terrible high pitched noise which percolates into anything I record!

levioter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ferchis,
If you are working on Win7 64bits you can use asio4all this is a free ASIO driver which can be used with generally every sound card.
This should work for you also.

I hope this will help.

Regards.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levioter wrote:
Hi ferchis,
If you are working on Win7 64bits you can use asio4all this is a free ASIO driver which can be used with generally every sound card.
This should work for you also.

I hope this will help.

Regards.

Does this mean every generic sound card will probably be enough for sequencing? I remember I once bought a new sound card with ASIO because the latency was too high (allthough I really don't do much with it, mostly due to lack of time).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASIO4ALL doesn't improve the sound quality much, but the latency is definitely improved to a usable.

The unique benifit of using ASIO4All is to use more than one ASIO audio interfaces at a time. In windows DAWs only one ASIO device can be active at a time. So, if I have a 16 channel interface and a coupe of 2 channels interfaces from synths... I couldn't use all of them at once directly in DAW. With ASIO4All, I can use all of them at the same time in digital quality... it's pretty amazing.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asio4all is great for getting Asio on simple onboard soundcards, and support of more than one Asio source is also great.

But I get problems with Asio4all as soon as I record more than a few tracks, and Asio4all uses up CPU along with this Kronos plugin and all the other VSTia and effects in your DAW. It is no real alternative to the use of a fast hardware audio soundcard from my view, at least not in a modern multitrack recording system.

The usefulness of the whole Kronos plugin in Windows 7 depends on the question, if there is a smart way to control recording of several Kronos midi tracks with it, while using an Asio hardware soundcard, and then get the midi tracks recorded to audio. We don't need theoretical considerations, we need practical step by step solutions well useable by anyone.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the m-audio fast track mk2 DOES have its dedicated win 7 64bits drivers, but apparently and, as far as I know and have read, there are others who've had similar a high-pitched noise every time they make the driver "work", be it in a DAW or just to playback the system sounds.

does anyone know why this might be?

thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: