Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot find SysEx Mode selection [sorted]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Cannot find SysEx Mode selection [sorted] Reply with quote

In the MIDI implementation charts, I cannot find the codes to select Program, Combi or Seq mode via sysex.

Does anyone have this info ?

Also, is there a PDF/text of the MIDI Implmentation that shows tables per page ? The 4 pages in the parameter guide are unusable due to craming two pages side by side, so printing a hard copy is not legible to the very small size of the characters.

Cheers.

Last edited by Francois on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every details are in the MIDI system exclusive document which is on disk 2 of the Kronos DVD. However I think you can request an updated version or load it from Korg.com (last not 100% sure).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot find it at korg.com.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just need the sysex codes to put the Kronos in Prog or Combi mode from an external sequencer if someone can help. I'm sure it must be somewhere in the doc but I don't have it and it doesn't seem you can download it for some reason. Thanks.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found the answer myself as Korg still use the same parameters as previously used with various synths. All that was needed was a bit of trial and error whilst looking at the changes if any.

Basically, the "change mode" sysex function is still 4E and the ID of the Kronos is 68.

So to change the mode of the Kronos from your PC sequencer, you need to send the sysex string :

F0, 42, 3g, 68, 4E, xx, F7

where

g is the MIDI channel, so 30 for channel 1 and 3F for channel 16

xx is

00 for Combi mode
02 for Prog mode
04 for Seq mode
06 for Sampling mode
07 for Global mode
08 for Disk mode
09 for Set List mode

In other words, if you want to make sure your Kronos is in Program mode so you can select a particular sound with MSB/LSB/Prg Chg, then send (assuming the K is set to channel 1 in Global mode).

F0, 42, 30, 68, 4E, 02, F7

Some of you may wonder why bother when the Editor or PCG Tools can create patchnames ? Well, not all MIDI applications can generate or use ways to control a synth via a patch manager. So by using this sysex string and checking the list of MSB/LSB allocated to the various banks in the Parameter guide, you can still select the required sounds.

Message to Korg : you could put the sysex info in the download section, it's not like it's full of industrial secrets ! Or better yet, just add this selection method in the manual.

Last edited by Francois on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating instrument definition lists is not removed from the wish list but put on a lower priority for now. If more people request it I can make files for other DAWs too.

About the documentation: I think it is on DVD2 but I also don't see why it should not be downloadable.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: