Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you organise your sounds/set list?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

addy73 wrote:
Another idea to add is if you are using a single set list for a show, have each page be a set. (1-16) set 1 (17-32) set2 etc.

Also,
I usually reserve the top 4 slots of a set page for Paino, EP, Organ, and strings.

Both ideas are good. When using combis (pre Kronos), I also added a combi called 'END OF SET 1' etc or 'BREAK'.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night at rehearsal I finally got timd to start getting my set list together. At least from a song stand pi]oint. We tend to write songs that have a lot of parts so I'm using my pedal to advance to the next sound. Since I often use the same sound a few times in a song I have to copy and paste a lot but it's worth it.
I'm thinking that it might be better to have one song per page but then again I'm not sure. If our band's set list is put together right I might just run with all of the songs in sequential order. Don't know yet.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on every song i use generally the same setup (piano, piano+string, etc).. any misc sound is covered on my PSR (flute, brass, guitar).. so, i just need 1 setlist (and 1 page of it Very Happy )
except for complex song of course...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a related matter, I was today staring for minutes on end at the set list mode and wondering something about midi channels:

how could I play PROGRAMS on the GLOBAL channel if I'm controlling the K61 with a digital piano? I've been trying and trying, but couldn't find a solution.

the thing is: I want to play MOST of the sounds in the set list ON THE CASIO PIANO, and only some sounds on the Kronos keybed, so I thought about setting the piano to ch1 and the K to ch2, but as it turns out, when I change the global channel in global mode, ALL sounds (obviously) go with it, I mean, they play on ch2, so I'm left "empty-sounded" Razz in the digital piano (ch1).

the only solution I can think of is to simply create A COMBI for every sound I'm planning to use and then assing everything to its corresponding channel, and then put them in the set list.

is this clear? Am I over-complicating things?

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what you need to do if you want the two different keybeds to play fifferent sounds. To avoid problems, I would suggest leaving your Kronos global midi channel on 1 and set your Casio to 2. Then program your combis accordingly.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sander is right. That way is faster too. I sometimes just for fun at jam parties bring my Wavestation EX. I just built some combis quickly with the secondary sounds on ch 2 and the Wavestation running on channel 2 as well.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
DocBambs

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
Sander is right. That way is faster too. I sometimes just for fun at jam parties bring my Wavestation EX. I just built some combis quickly with the secondary sounds on ch 2 and the Wavestation running on channel 2 as well.

Jam parties sound like a great idea.

[deleted: question about marmalade]

DB
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another question, related to an odd thing: I'm currently programming the combis I want to use, and selecting channels for both keybeds (casio and kronos), and it turns out that if I put some sounds in ch2 (the one for the casio) the Kronos ALSO plays them!!! the global channel is set to 1, so I can't play ch1 sounds on the casio, but I can play BOTH ch1 and 2 sounds ON THE KRONOS!

is it the kronos going mad? this also happens in ch3, but NOT in ch4, so I'm planning to set the casio in ch4 and then route the corresponding sounds. am I missing something here?

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:
another question, related to an odd thing: I'm currently programming the combis I want to use, and selecting channels for both keybeds (casio and kronos), and it turns out that if I put some sounds in ch2 (the one for the casio) the Kronos ALSO plays them!!! the global channel is set to 1, so I can't play ch1 sounds on the casio, but I can play BOTH ch1 and 2 sounds ON THE KRONOS!

is it the kronos going mad? this also happens in ch3, but NOT in ch4, so I'm planning to set the casio in ch4 and then route the corresponding sounds. am I missing something here?

You have to set the MIDI c hannel on the Kronos timbres not to global channel, but to 1, and probably Karma is using other MIDI channels. Switch off Karma and probably also you need to disable items in the different Karma settings, even if Karma is disabled.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can happen because of Karma. It could send stuff to different MIDI channels. I'm not in front of my Kronos, but if you go to the Karma tab, you can find in the bottom left area a list of channels that are used by Karma.

Hope this helps!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def a Karma issue. Starting with an empty combi will never produce this behavior. Karma lets you "reroute" midi channels in a sense.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, I'll look into it tonight and tell you what happened...

jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocBambs

Jam parties ARE fun but you have to be careful not to get your keys too sticky!

I have a small bunch of musician friends who I've been jamming with for a few decades now. These are jams in the purest sense. One of us starts something and we all just join in. These can often go on for well over half an hour for each song or what ever you want to call it. We try not to have any singers involved because, well, they never shut up! They're looking for verses and choruses and of course there aren't any. We tend to call them "fusion jams" all though they often don't sound like jazz fusion all that much. fun though.
It's always good to just stretch out and burn.
I have a couple of set-lists built specifically so I can do this. Piano, Rhodes, organs, leads, and various pads and effects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: