Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of D.I box on the Kronos for live shows?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooch

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every pro sound company will see you have a guitar cable out of
your stuff an put a DI there for you to plug in to. Balanced or not.

Every FOH snake/monitor split is XLR. Every single one.
Otherwise it's break out adapters and figure out what will
work. Usually scratching heads ensue. And your last on
sound check.

Get your own DI if you want to have something consistent.
If you get something thats not Radial/Whirlwind/Countryman/Rapco it will
probably get used. Maybe not.

My 2 cents. Usually it's "Cool. Radial DI. Done."

John
DocBambs

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I normally use the DI box of the PA company, if they don't have one I use very cheap Behringer DI20's (cost about $25) and never had any problems with it.

I have got through several DI20s as they have been a bit variable - they are good when they work as they have lots of features. I do have a working one in my kit box - in case of emergency. I would spend a little bit more and buy a decent make one. I can't see where you are based, but Orchid Electronics in the UK have just got a good review in Sound on Sound for their DI. You can phone them up to discuss your requirements rather than struggle through a web form and they ship anywhere.

http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/

DB

(N.B. I'm not affiliated to Orchid - they are ever so polite to me on the phone and the kit is always good!)
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocBambs wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
I normally use the DI box of the PA company, if they don't have one I use very cheap Behringer DI20's (cost about $25) and never had any problems with it.

I have got through several DI20s as they have been a bit variable - they are good when they work as they have lots of features. I do have a working one in my kit box - in case of emergency. I would spend a little bit more and buy a decent make one. I can't see where you are based, but Orchid Electronics in the UK have just got a good review in Sound on Sound for their DI. You can phone them up to discuss your requirements rather than struggle through a web form and they ship anywhere.

DB

(N.B. I'm not affiliated to Orchid - they are ever so polite to me on the phone and the kit is always good!)

Thanks for the info, however I just checked and it cannot be bought from thomann (whereI like to buy my stuff). Transport costs from England are very high, but probably UK owners can use this post as info.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alanjpearson

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?xsid=dc17b643c703e6317b62df3c5da85e4f&sw=DI8E&x=0&y=0

It's a mixer and DI box in one unit - works really well.

If you don't need that complexity (how are you monitoring??) and less channels then this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_di4000_ultra_di_pro.htm

R
Alan
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Not necessary for my needs live, but I use the Radial JDI duplex for recording with great results.

Radial DIs that I utilize:

Radial ProD2 - Stereo DI, Basically acts as 2 DI's since most PA's are MONO

Radial AV2 - Similar to above but has additional jacks for multimedia devices

Radial JDI - Used as a Stereo to Mono DI for Analog synths. Most Korg keyboards automatically join L/R to MONO if only using the Left Output. But many analog type synths don't. Examples; Virus, UltraNova, DSI Tempest, etc... don't. If you only use the left output, you loose half the signal. So stereo panning patches suffer greatly. So the JDI will merge the left/right to a mono signal. (Don't use a Y cable!)

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocBambs wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

DB

I'm not affiliated either but I only live round the corner from them and I've used their products floor years, so I can vouch for the quality of these DI's! They also make up all of my leads and cabling. John ( the main man ) is a very helpful and friendly guy.
music_avijeet

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooch wrote:
Every pro sound company will see you have a guitar cable out of
your stuff an put a DI there for you to plug in to. Balanced or not.

Every FOH snake/monitor split is XLR. Every single one.
Otherwise it's break out adapters and figure out what will
work. Usually scratching heads ensue. And your last on
sound check.

Get your own DI if you want to have something consistent.
If you get something thats not Radial/Whirlwind/Countryman/Rapco it will
probably get used. Maybe not.

My 2 cents. Usually it's "Cool. Radial DI. Done."

John

Some of the smaller ones for the smaller shows (budget wise) don't really have sufficient DIs. I'll probably purchase and keep my own and keep them just to be on the safe side.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a small A&H mixer with XLR outs for smaller venues. It doesn't mind phantom much, and it has a 30db pad switch, if not a ground lift. Lets me do my own monitor mix though, and sum to the FOH, plus it has a few mic channels and a decent verb for duo or trio gigs.

Usually when they really need the boards separately, they're large venues with plenty of channels and DIs anyways.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I use a small A&H mixer with XLR outs for smaller venues. It doesn't mind phantom much, and it has a 30db pad switch, if not a ground lift. Lets me do my own monitor mix though, and sum to the FOH, plus it has a few mic channels and a decent verb for duo or trio gigs.

Usually when they really need the boards separately, they're large venues with plenty of channels and DIs anyways.

I also used to use a mixer, but I can do anything with the 2 outputs of the Kronos now sparing out a separate mixer.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rack softbag which I used on stage. It contains a Behringer 16 channels rack mixer, a wireless receiver and a 4 channel Behringer DI rack. The PA guy only needs to plug his XLR cables into my DI's in the bag.

In my old setup I had 4 different instruments that produce sounds, now I have just the Kronos and the wireless receiver. I'm considering hooking up the receiver into an input of the Kronos, so I no longer need a mixer.

My new band is slightly more professional, so I don't think having DI's is my responsability anymore...
Sanrek

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the OP (and some others) I'm currently trying to figure a bit what I really need to get things done in the right way.

...and I'm having a hard time with it, here is the situation.

When I play with my band, we can have two configurations:

Situation 1 - Small-medium gigs: We use our own main mixer, with Kronos main L/R & Aux 1/2 TRS jack balanced line out -> Mixer stereo line inputs pairs (TRS jack balanced, while having TRS to XLR and vice-versa cables to deal with the snake)

Situation 2 - Big gigs: Here we have the usual PA guys and a XLR snake going to the main mixer (mic level).

So far it seems that for the first case, as the Kronos outputs are already balanced and having to stay with line levels, I would only need to add a line isolatior to avoid the eventual humming problems.
(something like 2x: http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/twiniso.php )

But for the second one, I would need a real DI box to go down to mic level as well, so a http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/prod2.php or http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdiduplex.php )

(Yeah I know PA guys are supposed to provide DIs, but with one of my biggest show ruined because of a cheap DI failing in the middle of it (oops...no main synth anymore...at the 2nd song), I prefer to be sure of my gear Wink )
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A D.I. box also enables you to split your signal so that is you are using your own monitor system you can use the same output jacks of you keyboard. You usually have 2 or 4 sets of outputs. 2 if you have a mono D.I. 1/4 inch for your own system and XLR for the house system.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
A D.I. box also enables you to split your signal so that is you are using your own monitor system you can use the same output jacks of you keyboard. You usually have 2 or 4 sets of outputs. 2 if you have a mono D.I. 1/4 inch for your own system and XLR for the house system.

Not always for this reason, I use the outputs of my monitors to forward the signal to the PA and sometimes a DI box is necessary to remove the hum or even unblocking the signal on my monitors in case fantom power is added (due to cheap mixers).

jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about that but I've always used a D.I. to get into the P.A. if I'm only using 1 keyboard. My monitor system is mono so if I want stereo in the P.A. i have to go with a D.I. Plus, I like the safety factor of having a transformer between me and somebody else's gear. I'm using an old Whirlwind passive D.I. I've had it for years and so far it has never failed me although I'm seriously thinking about a Radial box now. They sound fantastic in that they don't colour your sound at all.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: