Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

88 weighted keys controller recommendation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: 88 weighted keys controller recommendation Reply with quote

Hi all ,

I need recommendations for 88 weighted keys controller for my k-61 .

Don't care about knobs , don't care about build quality, heck i don't even care if the thing is made of paper, as long as the keys serve me well to control the kronos Sgx 1 engine .

Thanks in advance Smile

R
zzz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akai mpk 88. Try it.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you define as 'well' , otherwise any USB(?) or MIDI supporting 88 key keyboard is ok.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx , looking at the oxygen 88. Seems Like a good fit. The dealer now is searching for a good price quote for me.

The Korg dealer also has an sp170 digital piano that he can manage to sell me in a good price.

But I feel the oxygen could be more useful, especially with the USB midi option and velocity choices.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're getting it JUST for the keybed, and especially to get a good piano feel, I'd definitely try it out to see if you like it before getting one. Neither the Akai or the M-Audio are particularly known for their excellent weighted beds, though they're not bad. Check out Doepfer or Fatar perhaps?
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Since you're getting it JUST for the keybed, and especially to get a good piano feel, I'd definitely try it out to see if you like it before getting one. Neither the Akai or the M-Audio are particularly known for their excellent weighted beds, though they're not bad. Check out Doepfer or Fatar perhaps?

will do , thanks .
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow , this is a first ....

So I went and tested 2 weighted action keyboards :

- Casio cdp 200R digital piano
- M audio oxygen 88

These were the only ones available at my closest dealer.

I took the k61 with me and plugged it to each , and started playing.

And let me tell you , I found the k61 semi weighted keys to be more expressive. Heck , It even felt more weighted than both of them. Hard to explain , but I simply love the k61 keys.

Maybe because I am used to a real acoustic piano feel , that's why I wasn't feeling the satisfaction necessary or find a big leap difference. I don't know. Or maybe , it's just my playing style, which focuses more on the 61 keys range and on playing 13th and 9th chords in the left hand , instead of going way down to the lower octave.

Bottom line , I think I'll save my money and keep practicing on my Yamaha upright.

As for recording my piano tunes on the Kronos , I think I can manage to be more than just fine .

R
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your budget? I agree that I have never found a weighted MIDI controller to be able to compete with stage pianos or workstations Sad
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:
What is your budget? I agree that I have never found a weighted MIDI controller to be able to compete with stage pianos or workstations Sad

My budget is not enough to get something decent , that's why i think I'll pass. I was thinking 550$ max.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a used stage piano (like an old Roland RD or Yamaha) could be found on Ebay for around that price.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
maybe a used stage piano (like an old Roland RD or Yamaha) could be found on Ebay for around that price.

Can't wait for that. I have an album to write that is due for release this summer. Honestly , I think I'm doing just fine with the k61. So far , all of the piano songs composed on my upright have been translated successfully to the k61 Keybed without a single compromise.

If any new song pops out and happens to need compromise , then I'll think i'll just rent an 88 key.
.Jens

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:

Never? Have a look at www.doepfer.de - these things might not be so well-known outside europe (or maybe even outside germany), but that's a great deal. Not cheap, though, but it's a lifetime investment.

Also consider Fatar/Studiologic (many of the better keybeds for stage pianos and so on are from Fatar - Doepfer also uses their keybeds, but Fatar sell their own controllers, too.)

The midi controllers mentioned above have the same (or VERY similar) keybeds as e.g. Studiologic SL990 PRO, GEM Promega 3, Kurzweil PC3x, Kurzweil K2600X, to name just a few. Most of these differ only in the actual weighting of the keys (ranging from about 75-100g per key). Here's a steadily growing list (german): http://www.musiker-board.de/technik-modifikationen-diy-keys/435157-verbaute-tastaturen-sammelthread.html
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:

Got a good deal on a Casio digital piano with USB midi out. Couldn't pass on it. I took it home for a test before I buy and the sgx1 engine sounds just amazing on it. It only has 3 velocity choices , but i am actually very happy with the first velocity option setting it has.

Regarding the newly surfaced velocity issue ,well , i tested the velocity curve on the digital piano while playing the german grand : The digital piano was able to get to 127 , while my k61 could not reach more than 120 ( that is with beating the keys so hard ).

Glad I made that step/purchase and hopefully the velocity issue could be fixed ASAP with the next update !

R
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha P85/95?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: