Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos bug? or correct Rhodes implementation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ginox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Kronos bug? or correct Rhodes implementation? Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm trying to modify the "eg release" value of some of the E. Piano programs but nothing happens

For example:
I-A018: EP Mark I PreAmp&Cabinet

I'd like to extend the release time of the notes, but I can't.

So... is this a normal implementation of the rhodes programs? or it's a Korg Kronos bug? I have no experience in rhodes pianos, so that's why I'm asking...

Thanks!
Gino

PD: I'm using firmware 1.5.0
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody correct me if I'm wrong, if E.P.s are anything like the grand piano's synthesis engine, Korg sampled the sounds from beginning to end without any looping. so I doubt there is any way to make the release portion any longer. you might have some luck with the dx style pianos, if they are coming from the fm synthesis engine.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a combination of modeling and sampling, not unlooped samples like SGX-1. Haven't tried to change EG on them myself though. Try the modeling page maybe? As opposed to the EG page?
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the rhodes (EP-1) is not unlooped... i notice this when i played through some EP-1 patches, the disk light won't beep (as it does while i play SGX-1 Piano)...

to extend the release time (when pressing the damper pedal), go to EXI tab, and go to oscillator tab.. on the "harmonic sound" box, look at decay parameter, then try to increase it

to extend the release time (while not pressing the damper pedal), on the same page, try to increase the release parameter there...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
no the rhodes (EP-1) is not unlooped... i notice this when i played through some EP-1 patches, the disk light won't beep (as it does while i play SGX-1 Piano)...

This does not mean everything; maybe the complete samples are loaded but not yet played. Meaning that the samples can be loaded completely very fast, and the unlooped sample is played while the sample is already loaded.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think it's still looped, because you can change the release parameter... unlike SGX... SGX play samples until the end of it.. you cannot change or extend the release time...

lets assume that it's unlooped, and 3 velocity layer sampled... to load all those samples (6 types of EP ???) to the ram would require at least 2-3 gigabytes???

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic begs the question... Even with a damper pedal connected, and set up to act as a damper pedal, it will actually function as a sustain pedal, holding the sustain level of patches that have this parameter (synths, strings, horns, etc). Pianos and percussion instruments do not have a sustain portion. So when you press a sustain pedal on a piano patch, how is the Kronos handling the envelope to create the release portion? Are we hearing the release portion, or is it a continuation of the initial decay. Some graphics for this concept would be nice.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
well i think it's still looped, because you can change the release parameter... unlike SGX... SGX play samples until the end of it.. you cannot change or extend the release time...

lets assume that it's unlooped, and 3 velocity layer sampled... to load all those samples (6 types of EP ???) to the ram would require at least 2-3 gigabytes???

It's not a standard sampling engine, tt's a combination of sampling and modeling. Could be the sustain portion is actually synthesized from the parameters and the initial attack sample. No way to know without more info from Korg. But why do you care at all? It sounds great, doesn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: