Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Program 000 Kronos Grand German defect in one note?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Jens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Jens wrote:
Not confirmed here...

Sorry, you are right - confirmed. I just had the wrong octave - after seeing the actual youtube video about the phenomon, I have to damit, it's there on mine, too.

And I am also convinced that this is no "normal" string resonance - the original is surely not supposed to sound like that.
bguenthe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Jens wrote:
.Jens wrote:
Not confirmed here...

...after seeing the actual youtube video about the phenomon, I have to damit, it's there on mine, too.

The youtube video? Where is it!

Bernd
.Jens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it was from another forum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mVsYIh1l6w&feature=plcp
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bguenthe wrote:
Ok, I asked my girlfried; She can't hear it the first time, but with headphones she is also able to hear it. It is not so easy to hear.

I tried it via midi-connection (it was the c#3 on the programm that I used and it was the same. So I think it is an error in the sampling (if this is possible).

Wow, that would be a first in the history of romplers Rolling Eyes . I'm sure if you take the time to check the thousands of samples in the Kronos, you might find a bunch of not perfect samples in there.

The moral of this thread is: Don't do a piano solo piece with only C#2 notes that is to be monitored only via good quality headphones.

If the OP started this thread only to confirm that it's not his Kronos that is defect, it's quite alright. But the idea to take it to Korg because there's a sample in the Gb library tha isn't perfect.... come on!

Blink
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:
If the OP started this thread only to confirm that it's not his Kronos that is defect, it's quite alright. But the idea to take it to Korg because there's a sample in the Gb library tha isn't perfect.... come on!

Blink

That depends imo on whether the sample just isn't perfect but not disturbing, or really imperfect, noticable and disturbing/annoying.
Especially if that sample is part of the SGX-1 engine which has been a huge selling point of the Kronos.
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuma wrote:
blinkofanI wrote:

Blink

That depends imo on whether the sample just isn't perfect but not disturbing, or really imperfect, noticable and disturbing/annoying.
Especially if that sample is part of the SGX-1 engine which has been a huge selling point of the Kronos.

Hi Yuma,
Well, yes, obviously. But i think we can rule out the disturbing/annoying part as 2 persons said they had to wear good headphones or else they couldn't hear it the first time, and the first reply said he didn't hear it. Imperfect, probably, as we don't live in a perfect world.

Blink
Ev1ldead7272

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:

Blink

Hi,
I think bguenthe as indeed myself were more concerned if we had a defect keyboard and I replied to clarify I hear the same thing, to be fair I'm used to how it sounds now and the German grand is my favourite of all the SGX -1 pianos..though yet to hear the Austrian ones.
I'm not taking anything to korg..Martin at production room who kindly tested out the Kronos models to confirm it was the sample said he would speak with the korg rep...as far as I'm concerned if it's part of the sample that's fine..I'm just glad it's not a keyboard defect.

Yuma has a good point though, considering the Sgx-1 is one of the big features korg are selling it on and also the fact that it's the first sound you hear when the keyboard loads it should be perfect.

Regards Nathaniel.
levioter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry may be I am completely stupid but I hear only the normal resonance (metallic) of a real piano string !
To me this seems normal !

On the video I hear a little more resonance but the record is really really bad !
I have a Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO as headphones to listen to that so I cannot say it is my headphones.

So may be it is my hears Laughing

Someone else can hear this problem ???

PS: I own also a K73

Cheers
.Jens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levioter wrote:
I am sorry may be I am completely stupid but I hear only the normal resonance (metallic) of a real piano string !

[...]

As I said, yes. And someone on another german forum is complaining about it also (he made the video).

I have to admit that I used decent headphones, too. But we are definitely not talking about "normal" resonance - at least not of pianos in general. It's only one particular key (the lowest C# on a 61), and it's not even a resonance of a straight octave or other "simple" harmonics. It's a clearly audible tone (the note A in the highest octave WITH dampers - i.e. the second highest A on a 88 keyboard).
I am quite sure that even a Steinway doesn't have this type of resonance on a single note normally.
But: as obviously all velocity layers are affected (which means more than only one sample), it seems like either
a) something resonated in the recording setup (part of the actual piano, or something around)
b) the damper on the A key was defective or inadvertedtly slightly off-position during recording
c) there is a wrong sample index stored for some supplement/"background" samples like string resonance or harmonics...

In the youtube video it's hard to hear, though...
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levioter wrote:

On the video I hear a little more resonance but the record is really really bad !
I have a Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO as headphones to listen to that so I cannot say it is my headphones.

So may be it is my hears Laughing

PS: I own also a K73

Cheers

Yeah, i posted yesterday without even taking the time to check it out. I tried it last night at different velocities and didn't noticed anything. Maybe i don't have the ears of others here. I don't want to doubt that others are hearing something, but honestly, i don't.

Blink
.Jens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I double checked right now: The effect is also clearly audible in the bad quality of the YT video - if you once heard it Wink

But, to be fair: even if it's not really "normal" - I don't find it very disturbing, it's an acoustic instrument (or resemblance of...) after all. I'd call it "character", even it may not be intended...
bguenthe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I reported the problem to my local store yesterday. Hope they will inform Korg about this prob.

I want primary make shure that my Kronos is not defekt.

But as yuma said. This SGX-1 is one of the BIG-features of the Kronos Workstation and should be perfekt. And I'm sharing the Kronos with my gilrfriend. And she wants to play the only the piano. So I'm not that amused about this issue.

Bernd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: