Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noise coming from house speakers at my church... Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Jens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davc1 wrote:

we still have many many electric gadgets that use only 2 prongs .. !

That is no problem, if the "gadget" provides double isolation of the power supply. A (over-)simplified thumb rule would be: If the chassis and housing of a device is made of isolating material, it's safe to forego safety ground (THIS APPLIES TO THE MANUFACTURER! IF A DEVICE IS MEANT TO USE SAFTEY GROUND, USE IT!)

So, in other words, there are ways to safely design a "gadget" without need for grounding. But other devices - depending on their design - will need it.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Jens wrote:
davc1 wrote:

we still have many many electric gadgets that use only 2 prongs .. !

That is no problem, if the "gadget" provides double isolation of the power supply. A (over-)simplified thumb rule would be: If the chassis and housing of a device is made of isolating material, it's safe to forego safety ground (THIS APPLIES TO THE MANUFACTURER! IF A DEVICE IS MEANT TO USE SAFTEY GROUND, USE IT!)

So, in other words, there are ways to safely design a "gadget" without need for grounding. But other devices - depending on their design - will need it.

+1

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
davc1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you are assuming all the A/C outlets are properly installed , maintained and grounded ...

besides DI boxes ... there are other Safe Hum Eliminators ...

or yet another gadget ... unless i should list the millions of such
' gadgets ' ... instead of using a common catch all kinda phrase ...

since we are not there .. we can only assume ... and make suggestions from decades of experience which hasn't killed us yet ...

if you freakin know Everything .. then get in your car and go help the guy ...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
davc1 wrote:
i always worried more about using A/C Ground lifts on bass/gtr rigs , especially if they sang ... then you can get a good Zapp ... you Will see that bright light for a second or two ... !

One of our guitarists sometimes gets a shock when touching his lips to the mic he sings through. Strange is that the other guitarist who also sings never has this problem. Both have about the same gear, and are on the same electrical group.

We advised him to use a 'cap' over the mic but maybe there are better solutions like a DI box, ground lift of PA or guitar rig or maybe some other solutions? Please let me know.

Could be as simple as his shoes are conductive and the others are not. I'd do a serious check to see why his mic is hot. Wink

Ok I pass the message to him next rehearsal.; thanks for answering.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davc1 wrote:
and you are assuming all the A/C outlets are properly installed , maintained and grounded ...

[snip]

Never assume. I carry one of these in my kit bag to test all outlets before using them.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoealdus is suggesting what I would have suggested next. Always test your power outlets. Never assume they are wired correctly. You never know when an idiot has messed with something!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: