Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano sounds not cutting through band mix
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roblof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
To be honest, not having piano sounds "cut through the mix" is partly the responsibility of the sound guy as well as being aware of the frequency spectrum of the other musicians. If you're not "cutting through the mix", that means the guitarist or bass player (for instance) is in the same range as you are. That's easy to solve, especially if you rehearse. Cut some lows or mid highs etc, just as you would in the studio. Sure you could be louder, but that just leads to everyone else trying to be louder too. Some compression sounds reasonable, but if you're adding anything to the sound you're just shifting the problem to your fellow musicians.

This is all true.

Also, the venue can become a huge sound factor due to the acoustics and monitor/instrument placement and the mix on stage.

A synth is a very difficult instrument to mix for a sound engineer due to its huge difference in sounds. One moment a soft string pad is playing and next a distorted jon lord hammond is roaring!

The same problem occurs with i.e. guitar players using pods or similar to make their guitar sound live on stage. The problem is usually that the patches aren't balanced with each other but rather as an isolated instrument.

What sounds great in isolation may sound aweful in a mix, due to other instruments working in the same spectrum.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblof wrote:
What sounds great in isolation may sound aweful in a mix, due to other instruments working in the same spectrum.

Well yes, that was my point. But in most circumstances you would actually know what the other guys are playing or sounding like. Everybody wants a thick big sound but then you get exactly this problem; you're in each other's way. If you know that the guitar player has this big bottomed rock sound on a song, why would you even bother trying to have a fat piano sound? You're not adding anything useful to the spectrum, just creating problems for yourself and the sound guy. Since we have all this synthesis power, dozens of eqs and compressors and thousands of memory locations, just adapt. It's not that the piano sound isn't fat enough, it's that you're trying to force it into a place in the mix where it won't go.

That's overstating it a little bit perhaps, but makes my point.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
roblof wrote:

Well yes, that was my point. But in most circumstances you would actually know what the other guys are playing or sounding like. Everybody wants a thick big sound but then you get exactly this problem; you're in each other's way. If you know that the guitar player has this big bottomed rock sound on a song, why would you even bother trying to have a fat piano sound? You're not adding anything useful to the spectrum, just creating problems for yourself and the sound guy. Since we have all this synthesis power, dozens of eqs and compressors and thousands of memory locations, just adapt. It's not that the piano sound isn't fat enough, it's that you're trying to force it into a place in the mix where it won't go.

That's overstating it a little bit perhaps, but makes my point.

It's completely true. I play in a coverband and we have the intention not to play like the original cover as much as possible. This means I can use literally any sound I want as long as it fits. However, there is the challenge.

When other (like guitarist) play low, I use a high sound. If a guitarist plays a solo, I play a bit lower to give some space.

Sometimes I play some low bass sounds, but in that case I have to check in the rehearsal room if it is not in the way with the bass player.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: