Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Midi vs Post-Midi (Global/MIDI) Velocity Response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommymandel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Pre-Midi vs Post-Midi (Global/MIDI) Velocity Response Reply with quote

Re: Pre-MIDI / Post-MIDI

Does changing this setting affect the Kross 61's sound, when it is being played Locally (by its own keyboard?) - It seems to, and I'm having trouble interpreting the .pdf on this issue.

I'm trying to get my Kross 61's own keybed to trigger Kross's internal Piano and EP sounds in a similar manner to they way they sound when played from a CP-300 via Midi. (That is a high-end Yamaha Stage Piano with weighted action, introduced around 6 years ago.)

I was having a lot of trouble doing this, but after I switched from Pre-MIDI to Post-MIDI (Global/MIDI page) it seemed to be better.

What I can't be sure, from the .pdf, is if the different curves on the right side of the page (Post-MIDI) apply to the different Velocity Curves effect on the KROSS's internal sounds, when played directly from the KROSS's keybed.

It seems to, but it might just be wishful thinking!

Thanks for any and all help on this Smile
tommymandel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is that Post-MIDI velocity curves only apply to playing data which is received at the MIDI IN (and possibly from the Kross's internal Sequencer.)

Here is my issue with the velocity curve presets offered by my Kross-61:

With Curves 3 and lower, (3, 2 an 1) the soft notes are too soft. With 4 (Normal) and higher, (5, 6, 7 & 8 ) the medium-struck notes are too loud. But it's tricky - the 9 curves are not just linear gradations of the same relationship between how hard you strike a key and how bright and loud the resulting sound is. Actually 9 is meant for the 88-note keyboard, and for the moment, I'm sticking with that on my 61, because it seems to offer the best compromise.

Ideally, I'd like one between 3 and 4, with the low velocities producing slightly louder sounding notes, but needing a much higher velocity to really make them scream and honk. I realize the individual patches can be edited to achieve that result, but that would be a mammoth task, with so many (great) patches!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: