Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought a Volka Bass.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvd1291

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Just bought a Volka Bass. Reply with quote

So I just bought one of these "Volca Bass" analog synthesizers It seemed to me to be the best item in the price range, as far as analog synthesizers are concerned. I am not going to lie. I know virtually nothing of Analog synthesizers, though i have voraciously absorbed as much information as i could from this forum, and the Internet in general. I have been searching for some time for a affordable analog synthesizer, and pretty much every finger pointed at the "Realistic moog" which is NOT what i would consider affordable($500+? a bit expensive for a guy whos car cost $800) So obviously i was quite happy when i discovered this little cutey of a synth.

I have a few questions(hopefully someone has answers/knowledge), and chances are I will pop in and out of these forums on a regular basis.

Question 1: If i hook an MIDI controller to this, of some sort(again, super noob) that has more keys then the volkas built in ribbon controller, how will it be effected? Additionaly, what would be a good(and cheap) basic MIDI controller to plug into this thing?

Question 2: What is the likelihood of mod kits/bending kits coming out for this, and what kind of extra functionality could i expect from such a mod kit? I know this is no modular synth, but could it be?

Question 3: Will this thing play nice with random guitar effects pedals i have laying
around?

While i am not knowledgeable of synthesizers, for what i believe i am getting in this package, and how new it is, this clearly must be a somewhat ground breaking device. Had the volka line not come about, I would not have probably bought a analog(im not really interested in digital ones either) synthesizer due to the typicaly intense price range.
I wonder how many other people like myself are simultaneously discovering this.
slug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a Volka Bass. Reply with quote

jvd1291 wrote:
Question 1: If i hook an MIDI controller to this, of some sort(again, super noob) that has more keys then the volkas built in ribbon controller, how will it be effected? Additionaly, what would be a good(and cheap) basic MIDI controller to plug into this thing?

You will be able to play the full range of the Volca Bass from the external keyboard. The Octave range control on the Volca Bass will have no effect. Something like the Miditech Music25 is a pretty sweet small controller with hardware MIDI output.

jvd1291 wrote:
Question 3: Will this thing play nice with random guitar effects pedals i have laying
around?

For the most part yes, but it depends on the pedal.

jvd1291 wrote:
While i am not knowledgeable of synthesizers... I would not have probably bought a analog(im not really interested in digital ones either)

As you are new to synthesizers let me say dont get too hung up on the analog/digital argument as there are good and bad of both types, as well as powerful hybrids.
jvd1291

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i probably made myself sound very boorish, I dont feel that ive totaly written off digital or combos, but most things of that nature tend to cost $300+, Someday id like to get a beastly synthesis machine going, but at the moment these volka things seem like the perfect introductory item for me Very Happy
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no quick route to knowledge about synthesis.If you have a genuine interest then yes, the volca bass is a good beginners synthesizer.Probably an ideal stepping stone.
Analogue is a good place to start because it is the root of real synthesis & everything that followed it was modeled on it (Although it's not quite that simple)
The volca bass doesn't offer all of the features of a more fully fledged synthesizer but as you have pointed out it's cheap & with that in mind it sort of offers a lot.
Thing to remember is that the volca series targets just an area of synthesis & although can be used any which way you see fit, it's aimed at making electronic music at a basic level , 1 bar sequences mainly. There are enough features to offer beginners a taster of the different areas such as basic midi control, a sync in & out for other analogue compatable gear, different ways of sequencing & a few other bonus features to boot (Many established synth heads are also loving these) It's also a teaching tool ,Korg are known for making synthesis accessible & encouraging new people to try it... & here you are. Hope you find the way into the awesome world of synthesis & electronica. Razz
darenager

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider the Keys as an alternative or addition to the Bass, it has a slightly more flexible sound and features, and is a little more like a typical analog synth, and has (limited) polyphony.

Both great for a beginner though!
jvd1291

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Very Happy i would actually like to get all three, and maybe aquire a monotron or two too. But in due time.
slug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with darenager - the Volca Keys is probably the best for anyone new to synthesis, as it explores more of the typical parameters with an (almost) normal envelope system, and the polyphony of course.
jvd1291

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: It has arrived :D Reply with quote

I am very pleased with it, it sounds awesome, and i am perfectly able to run it through my patch pedal, making for much variety in sound on top of its already seemingly unlimited variation. I really enjoy this Very Happy i cant wait to get the others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: