Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X50 vs korg kross?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justineponcedeleon16

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: X50 vs korg kross? Reply with quote

Im wondering which is a better keyboard for live performance. Smile im in a variety genre so we play rnb, love songs, fast songs and etc. can u guys help me out? Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kross is newer and has more modern sounds.

The x50 is from a previous generation (twice removed actually) and has a lot of classic sounds, leaning more towards synths. I'd say the quality of 'real instrument' sounds has improved a lot in the newer models. But you may find the synths to be less fat.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with X-Trade,

I honestly don't think there is any comparing the X50 to the Kross. The newer EDS-based waveforms are much more realistic, and have come a long way since the days of the Triton, Karma, etc...

Now, that being said, there is a unique sound and charm to the early Korg waveforms that is different than the Kross/Krome/M3 sounds. For the simple fact that they are different waveforms, it makes it hard to compare the two.

It's a point that depends on a listener's preferences.

But I think most readers here would agree that the newer efforts by Korg are more realistic.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iluvchiclets wrote:
there is a unique sound and charm to the early Korg waveforms that is different than the Kross/Krome/M3 sounds. For the simple fact that they are different waveforms, it makes it hard to compare the two.

It's a point that depends on a listener's preferences.

Agree 100%.

That's why I kept my Triton when I purchased the M3.

Sounds Good
tommymandel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Guilty Embarassed Confession Embarassed
I was waiting for help in a store, and just started playing an X-50 - there was a sound called Portamento Synth that blew my mind, couldn't match that on the Kross. Another one right after it in the Slow Synths category, also great... It definitely sounds different, you were right, OP...fatter? maybe!
SO I found one on eBay (an X-50 with a broken key)
for well under $3..
-and it's shippin to me-
Evil or Very Mad Wink Question
Sell the Kross? Maybe, depends on how the X-50 plays with the rest of my rig: Casio Privia for pianos, Hammond SK-1 for organ, X-50 for synths, strings and brass? In my particular case, it might fill out the necessary categories better than a Kross does. But I still have to check EP's. . .
Maybe just X-50 + Kross would cover things, especially with my crazy edited organs on the Kross, and the Tried and True Triton organs on the X-50?
First World Problems, I know. Embarassed Shocked Embarassed
Justineponcedeleon16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your selling ur kross for an x50 am i right brother?
Justineponcedeleon16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pls tell me if ur suggesting i have to get an x50 and replace my kross cause i am really not satisfied and it breaks my heart cause ive saved a lot of money to buy it. Its not cheap and i wanna cry bcuz it doesnt meet my expectations especially for live gigging
tommymandel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't say until the X50 arrives and I can play them together, and really compare them. . . My guess is that each one does some things better (like the more eperienced posters above have told us) than the other, and it depends what you want it for. I'll let you know my opinion after Dec 4 Smile
Justineponcedeleon16

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yesss im im looking forward for your opinions Very Happy
Danextgen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the "realistic" sounds really better on the kross than on the x50?

Because the realistic sounds on my kronos are not that much better than the ones on my micro x ..
tommymandel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan- I am wondering that too. But I will say this: I took the Kross to a top NYC rehearsal studio (Montana, W. 56 st.) tonight, and plugged it in to the snake. It sounded freakin awesome. Every sound cut in the mix, but didn't sound too treble or too bass. Funky Brass Section combi, and Upright Piano program. Some organs too. What you're playing it through is a big factor with this keyboard.
twstone1983

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I wanted to chime in and ask the OP or anyone else what specific sounds do they use as I might be able to offer a comparison. I have a Kross 61 and a TR88 which shares the same sound engine and ROM as the X50.

I agree that the Kross has more realistic sounds, but that doesn't always mean its better over all. For example when I got Kross, I noticed that the Pianos do have a more realistic quality to them. But the TR pianos have more of a raw bite and I find myself using them more. However the drums in the Kross sound much more convincing than those in the TR.

So if you can give me some sounds you would like some comparisons for, perhaps I can try them out and if I get some time, record and post them so you could hear them for yourself.

Current Gear: N364, TR88, Kross61, Art Pro MPA II, Studio Projects B1, Shure SM58/SM57, Behringer C1, Behringer XM8500, Yamaha MG 10/2, Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Steinberg CI2, Cubase AI 6.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I could finally compare the two, and I must say: the stereo is really different between the two keyboards. the X50 sounds deeper and in headphones. To generalize, I'd say the X50 is fuller and maybe deeper, but the Kross is more transparent and balanced over the frequency range.

Pianos: I agree with what TWStone said in the post above this.
EP's: X50's may be a bit more solid, but not all that different. Idea wait! Idea
Idea edit: there's an FM E.Piano (A78) on the X50 that is gorgeous. Like a TX816 which was 8 DX-7's in a rack mount! And an analog EP that just says, "Play Me!" And the first EP, (A17) is also kind of normal in a good way, touching all the bases. For me, the Yamaha EP's are the best. Kross has a few cool ones, but I've yet to settle on a favorite Kross EP. Some have a bit of bite, some have plenty of sparkle, but seem thin overall. There are some funky ones that take advantage of the wah or vocal simulation, mostly wurlitzer ones (on the Kross.) But they all sound slightly 'far away' to me when i play them. But they are useful in many live situations - the better the sound system, the better I sound.!. Just takes some getting used to. Idea PS. Now some good news for the Kross fans: take the 002 Factory EP Program- E.P.Distortion SW2, and light both switches, which will turn on modulation, and turn off the distortion, and you have a pretty good Rhodes, in my opinion. (especially if you play it from an 88 note Stage Piano, and blend it with one of their dark ones with a bit of bell on it.) Idea

Strings: X50's smoother, if you like smooth strings. (I do.)
Brass: Haven't checked yet.
Organs: I still like the Kross for organ, but the X50 has the older Korg gems.
Basses: Both great. Both massive. Kross's are moderner, incl some Dubstep
Pads: X50's very lush; Kross's also lush but more transparent, with a bit of a tendency to peak in the mids.
Synth Leads: Both good. Depends on taste, but I think there're more in X50.
Drums: haven't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure TWStone hit it right again.

I don't want it to sound like I prefer the X50, but the 4 3-purpose knobs are nice to have. The Kross is super-cool, the drum grooves newer and tastier, and Taylor Swift's not the only person who digs RED! - If I had to send one back, I'd probably keep the Kross, but I'd miss the X-50.

Last edited by tommymandel on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
tommymandel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you all think: Could Korg make a keyboard that has the Kross sound engine, and the X50 sound engine, plus aftertouch, and is under 15 lbs? What would its price point be?
twstone1983

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could Korg build it? I am sure they could. Will they, probably not as they milked the HI synth engine from about 1999 through 2008 then started using the EDS engine. Since they are 2 different rompler engines its doubtful they would bother building 1 synth with both. The closest we might get is possibly a VST of the triton series. But I wouldn't even hold my breath on that.

Current Gear: N364, TR88, Kross61, Art Pro MPA II, Studio Projects B1, Shure SM58/SM57, Behringer C1, Behringer XM8500, Yamaha MG 10/2, Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Steinberg CI2, Cubase AI 6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: