Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Duds!? Volca Bass & Volca Beats Issue w/ Video
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: 2 Duds!? Volca Bass & Volca Beats Issue w/ Video Reply with quote

Hi All

Just received 2 Volcas for Xmas, a Bass & a Beats and I think both are faulty!!??

1) VOLCA BASS:
When I use VCO Group M1 for 3 seperate oscillators, and step sequence, i cannot seem to activate ALL steps for VCO2. Steps 1, 3, 5, 7 & 11 do not activate at all. ALL steps activate & light for VCO1 & 3. When using other Group modes (M2 or M3) and step sequence, ALL steps light and activate. Can someone please check this video and confirm issue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsCnesIANW0

2) VOCAL BEATS
When using Step Sequence, the LED Lights for steps 9, 10, 11 & 12 never light. Selecting them will turn step on or off as expected, but theres no indication as lights s tay off. This happens for all sounds. Anybody else have this issue?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Av_tI4Qmk

REALLY disappointed with the build quality or more importantly the QA of these machines. Am i just unlucky to have received 2 duds, or are these issues widespread.
geux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem for the steps !! Shocked Shocked
I've asking korg but no answer. Sad
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to post video's . Now i like the volca's even less.
Surely these are under warranty right ? Nobody has had one for a year yet. Can't you just return it for a new unit or a refund ?
ryca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:
Surely these are under warranty right ? Nobody has had one for a year yet. Can't you just return it for a new unit or a refund ?

yup under warranty! only just received them for xmas. store i purchased from will replace mine this week. i was curious if the issues were widespread tho as didnt think i was that unlucky! Sad
geux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us informed on what Korg will answer to your request.
(I cannot do it because I opened the volca to check the inside, and break the waranty Crying or Very sad)
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issues some people are having with them are regional. From what I remember reading, they are all manufactured in a single warehouse, but then shipped out afterward to be inspected and calibrated individually in whatever country they are to be sold at.

Either way, since they come with a warranty, you shouldn't need to email Korg about it. Just return it to the store you got it from for a replacement, or take it a Korg licensed repair shop. The warranty covers all repair costs free of charge.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
peteone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting these videos my volca beats works fine so im relieved there...however it is significantly quieter than the other 2 volcas! is this a common issue (should I replace the unit?)

as far as bass goes (which I literally just got an hour ago) have the same problem with VCO2 also my LED (upper) on step 16 is not lighting up at all....
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volca Beats being quieter is normal. The Volca Bass & Keys actually respond to velocity when using MIDI, so they have that extra volume range for softer and harder key strikes if you're using a MIDI controller. The touch strip, however, triggers each note at full velocity.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
peteone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
The Volca Beats being quieter is normal. The Volca Bass & Keys actually respond to velocity when using MIDI, so they have that extra volume range for softer and harder key strikes if you're using a MIDI controller. The touch strip, however, triggers each note at full velocity.

thank you for your answer and info on bass and keys being velocity sensitive . - now I don't have to worry about keys being a defective unit..

I called my store about the bass though and they are ordering new one for me so that's good, this time will double check in the store if everything works..
chris-korg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my Volca Bass mid of October 2013 from Germany, my Volca Beats end of October 2013 from Austria. For the Volca Beats I manually upgraded the firmware to the actual Version v1.02.

Tested today both - worked fine, I could not replicate the behaviour of your Volcas shown in the videos.

Still it is very strange as this in my opinion looks like beeing a software issue....
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryca wrote:
DrHoo wrote:

yup under warranty! only just received them for xmas. store i purchased from will replace mine this week. i was curious if the issues were widespread tho as didnt think i was that unlucky! Sad

Get the replacements. Dodgy goods as new. Not acceptable.
ryca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all replies/confirmation.

beats being sent back today

bass will follow very shortly
button

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just me or have there been a lot of volcas with issues? I dunno. maybe this is normal I don't usually follow new products.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah , must say they seem a bit fragile don't they.
ryca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok update.

my Beats has been sent back and will be replaced. it seems like a common problem as I've heard from a few other Beats owners that have the same issue... LED's 9-12 not working

as for the Bass... I'm still not 100% it's a fault and think it could be user error. the user manual states for STEP MODE button:
Quote:
Press this button to enter step mode (the STEP MODE button will light up). Step buttons 1 to 16 will function as step
buttons for the sequence. Pressing a step button turns that step for the selected oscillator on or off. Steps that have
been turned on will be played. However, steps with nothing recorded cannot be turned on.Pressing this button again returns the unit to keyboard mode.

The part in bold has me thinking it could be the pattern and nothings recorded in those parts. I tried CLEAR ALL for a sequence in Memory but not seeing a change.

Does anybody understand how to use Step Mode properly and may be able to shed some light?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: