Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pedal use for changing volume of programs within a combi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shutoku

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: pedal use for changing volume of programs within a combi Reply with quote

I wrote a long convoluted post even I didn't understand Embarassed
...so I'll try to keep it simple.

I am running my kross midi'd to my korg sp250 piano.
The piano sends on midi ch1 and 2, so I set the Kross locally to midi ch 3.

I would like to set up a combi, lets say pipe organ and choir layered.
I would then like to have a volume pedal plugged into the kross set to change the volume of only one sound within the combi...say the choir sound.
So I could within that combi, play with or without the choir sounding depending on the volume pedal.
I can do this on my old m1, so I assume it should be possible on the kross, but I am not sure how.
I don't want to do this with a simple layer though I want to do it within a combi because I may be playing other sounds from another keyboard.

If this is possible, suppose I am playing said pipe organ and choir from the sp250 keyboard. Will the volume pedal plugged into the kross change the volume on the sounds assigned to the piano's midi channels? (this does not work on the m1)

I would think this is pretty straight forward, but I don't see volume in the midi filter section of the combi editing, at least on the software.
and I'm not sure if the global section I should assign the pedal to volume cc#4 or pedal cc#7 or something else entirely?

Barring this....is there another way to turn on and off at least one program's output quickly and easily within a combi?

I hope this makes sense.
Shutoku

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm guessing there is no way to do this.

It is a bit of a reoccuring thing here.

Probably the best idea is the person who posted a suggestion that a good idea would be a software update in which the 16 favourite buttons could function within a combi or sequence as mute buttons for each of the 16 tracks. (and apparently the Microstation can do this?)

Honestly that would be fantastic for me! How do we encourage the Korg people to look at this?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the pedal globally to CC#11 "expression" and use the midi filter page in your combi to filter out "foot pedal".
Shutoku

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm I think I tried that, but Ill give it another go. Maybe I need to trouble shoot my pedal too. I have two, a Roland and a Yamaha. Both work with my m1, but maybe not with the Kross.

However really it is a work around. Having the 16 favourites work as mutes would be much better, and allow some variations within a combi, without having to use multiple combi's and the drop of sound when changing combi's.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a shot.

Edit:
So I gave it a try with some success!
The Roland pedal doesn't seem to work, but the Yamaha does.
Playing from the Kross itself it works like a charm allowing me to bring in and take away a layer.

I had hoped it might also work for layers played from the sp250 keyboard, but alas it does not. I thought it might simply because the rotating speaker triggered from the Kross damper, does work when playing organ from another controller, but I think the difference is that that is an effect, and the expression is a global function.

So I am happy to have a bit more flexibility within my combi's.
Thanks so much!!!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that expression is a midi controller that is generated on a specific channel, which also allows you to filter it out per timbre. When set to "master volume" it's exactly that and will always control the master volume no matter what you set per channel. Use whichever suits you best!
Shutoku

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I knew master volume wasn't what I wanted, but I wasn't sure about expression versus volume.

Now If I could do something similar with the foot switch! Laughing

Actually the real next question will be if I can midi my m1 to the kross, and control expression from it with it's own pedal. After I'm off work I'll have to so some more experimenting.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's on a separate midi channel it should send expression on that channel two via its own pedal.
Shutoku

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it does.

So this is good. The only thing missing then would be to be able to independently mute two different sounds on a given keyboard, so that instead of just have a layer on or off, I could actually switch from one prog to another within the same combi.

That is where the 1-16 buttons would be awesome, because unless there is a way to trigger expression through the foot switch, which I would doubt, that is the only way to achieve it.

Still....on the positive side, many people (myself included) have been critical of the Kross keybed, but I actually find it more effective than most keybeds for having two different sounds triggered via different velocities.
So that is another avenue for achieving a sound change within a combi.
Shutoku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I read a review of the Kross in Keyboard magazine today (posted on the Kross facebook page) and found something pretty interesting.

in it the reviewer set up a combi where he used the mod wheel to change the volume on the strings in a string/piano layer.
It occurred to me that if one set up a combi where one sound could be muted or unmuted with the pedal, and another with the mod wheel, you could then essentially change sounds within a combi, muting one and bringing up the other.
Still not as effective as the 16 favourite switches, but at least making it doable! I wonder if you can do that with the pitch wheel too? (albeit as a toggle since it is spring loaded) Hmmm I'll have to experiment!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: