Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using a powered spkr in place of a keyboard amp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Anyone using a powered spkr in place of a keyboard amp? Reply with quote

I'm considering switching from my 15" 2 way keyboard amp (72 lbs) to a much lighter 12"-15" powered speaker/monitor (33 lbs-39 lbs) since its only used for my onstage monitoring. Has anyone used the JBL Eon 515XT or a similar unit for this purpose? I'm also considering the new Eon 615 which has more power, Bluetooth control and newest design. My back will thank me for this I'm thinking.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two x JBL Eon 10 (very old one), and for me it is more than enough. I heard a 15" has better sound quality (especially deep).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CGoodhines

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a QSC K12.
1000 watts. No problems ever.
drb32856

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I have two x JBL Eon 10 (very old one), and for me it is more than enough. I heard a 15" has better sound quality (especially deep).

I'm considering the new JBL Eon 615 (replacement for 515xt) but they are not in stores yet. Sweetwater Sound says they will have them in a few days. 1000 watts and bluetooth adjustable. 49lbs and from what I've been able to find out they have much improved sound. But I would like to see and hear them before jumping in.

I also liked the QSC. But a bit out of my price range. They sound awesome though.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using JBL eon-10, -15, and PAK versions for the better part of 10+ years with few or no problems.

The PAK was a 15 version with EQ and multiple inputs - a prototype of the Gen-2 version. Must say that on-board EQ is certainly convenient - whatever brand or size you go with. Being able to add a mic (XLR) to your keys gives you the flexibility needed for solo gigs.

My band uses the Gen-2 EON-15's with subs as our "light gig" PA - again for several years with no trouble.

I like JBL for their reliability (yay!) and think the EON's are particularly well designed for working musicians.

-----------

Once played a small college gig with rented PA. When the big PA crapped out we ran the whole band through a single EON-10 (loud!) for half an hour until the sound guy traced the problem to a fried compressor.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackie Thump 15" with a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer. More than enough for onstage monitoring.

..Joe
jimsweb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this one at my home studio.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-BX5-D2-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B005F3H6Q8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408740485&sr=8-1&keywords=maudio+bx5
barry murphy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought those. They are terrific.
baz
jimsweb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, curious to know, which one did you buy? BX5?
drb32856

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
Mackie Thump 15" with a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer. More than enough for onstage monitoring.

..Joe

I'm auditioning the thumps this week. They look like they can handle the load. On stage I am fighting the sounds if a loud Marshall half stack and a heavy hitting drummer. So need to cut through as best as I can to hear myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: