Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are you going to use the new set list slot colors for?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Where are you going to use the new set list slot colors for? Reply with quote

As everyone probably knows, OS3 makes it possible to use set list slot colors (16 in total).

Where are you going to use these colors for?

One think I can think of, is use one color for the 'end of set/end of gig' slots I use, and maybe another color for patches I have to do something manually... But I can imagine many others like:
- slots referencing a program vs slots referencing a combi
- slots which are transposed

Problem is, only one color is allowed and the above possibilities do not rule each other out.

Where are you going to use the colors for?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/

Last edited by michelkeijzers on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I thought is to color code the type:

Sequence
Combi
Program (AL-1)
Program (CX-3)
Program (HD-1)
etc

But I think I might want to expand it to cover purpose as well:

Special FX, song intros, audio and speech clips
Favorite sounds
Generic combis
Songs for live sets
Songs for personal indulgence

We'll see. The final result will probably happen after a lot of experimenting, but it will be a fun process. One of my earliest wishes was that the Set List could be color-coded. It must have been a common enough request for Korg to have implemented it in an update.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color coding by type would be some nice feature of PCG Tools (meaning: automatic color coding, not manually).

For favorites it might also be indeed interesting (as feature in PCG Tools).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is off topic, but since I have you hear Michel... could you please give a brief overview of the different file types. I've downloaded your PCG tools but have not used it yet. I have used the Kronos sound editor.

I'm enjoying Burningbusch's famous synth sounds, and also the specially made CX-3 organs from OS update 2.1. The problem is, I keep losing or overwriting my work (edited programs and new combis), because Busch's programs want to load into the same bank as the new CX-3 programs. I don't fully understand the practical differences between a PCG, a KSC, and a user-KSC. Thanks.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSC is Korg Sample Collection. It's references to a bunch of samples elsewhere on your Kronos. When loading a KSC, the Kronos looks up and loaded all these samples as well as the different multisample mappings that have been made with them, they can then be used by (mainly) HD1 programs in your Kronos. Userbanks are just a slight variation on this in that they load only the first parts of all these samples, and the rest of the samples are streamed from the SSD when you actually hit a key. This saves a great deal of RAM but has small drawbacks as well, like not being able to edit the samples in sampling mode. Every KSC you save yourself will also have an accompanying a Userbank KSC with the same name.

PCG stands for Program/Combination/Global and saves/loads exactly these things. If you load a PCG entire it will use any banks saved in it to overwrite your current banks. If you instead OPEN the PCG in disk mode, you can navigate inside until you see the bank you want to load. If you then click LOAD, it will prompt you for a location and you can select an empty or unused bank you have left. You can even navigate further inside using open, and audition single programs without loading them, or load them individually. If any custom sample banks or Korg expansions are necessary for those programs, they will of course need to be loaded before you can use/audition the program.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I needed to understand regarding PCG files... that I can dive further into a PCG while is Disk mode to load only a specific bank or program, and more importantly, choose to where they will get written.

But before I shut the Kronos down, where/what exactly do I save? Say I loaded a bank only from a whole PCG. Do I save in Global, or in Combi or Program mode. Currently I'm doing all of the above just to be safe.

I really want to master the file system before I create more combis or download new sound sets. I think I glossed over a post awhile ago where DanatKorg explained the whole concept behind user sample banks and how they relate to PCGs etc. I recently made a program where one key is a one-shot sample of the intro to Pink Floyd's "Time" clocks and alarms sound medley. But it was hit and miss, and took almost half an hour just to figure that out. A thorough understanding will make that sort of work a breeze.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Programs, combi and global settings are retained when you turn off the Kronos. It is not necessary to save them to disk before turning the Kronos off, although it is good practice to make backups from time to time and before you do significant editing sessions or load new things. Global settings are just that, by the way - the settings you make in the global pages. There is no relation to programs or combis there.

Sampling sessions do have to be saved to disk after creating them, or they will be gone after you turn off the Kronos.

When creating sample sets it's easiest to empty the RAM of any currently loaded stuff first. The easiest way that I know (but I don't do it very often) is to load the WAV or sample bank you want to edit and choose the "clear all" option. After making your edits, choose "save sampling data" and give it a name. If it's an older set that you've edited or expanded upon, made sure the "force new ID" option is OFF, or all your programs that were using them will suddenly become confused.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to some "cross fading" live with my band, i'll be using them to signify a new song starting in the long set list set i use for Sirion.

This OS update makes me such a proud kronos owner...

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me that having colored Set Lists will also let you see at a glance if you've got the right Set List pulled up.

Before, all Set Lists looked the same -- plain gray from a distance. You needed to get close to the display, read the contents, then flip to the correct Set List if not already there.

Now, with the color coding, in a darkened or overly bright live situation, you can just glance at the color pattern to instantly recognize which Set List you're on. You can flip Set Lists without bending over while keeping some distance, especially useful if you're also wearing a bass or guitar or talking to the audience at the same time.

You could even go so far as to "mark" each Set List page, say in the upper right corner, by using a dummy/blank slot with a color not used elsewhere except for this specific purpose of identifying the type of Set List it is:

Yellow: 70's set list
Green: 80's set list
Red: 90's set list

Not to mention that a colorful Set List page makes the Kronos look sexier from a distance. And yes, this update makes me a prouder Kronos owner. I can't wait till my Oasys co-worker gets in from vacation and I can playfully taunt him with all the advances of OS3...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
It occurred to me that having colored Set Lists will also let you see at a glance if you've got the right Set List pulled up.

Before, all Set Lists looked the same -- plain gray from a distance. You needed to get close to the display, read the contents, then flip to the correct Set List if not already there.

Now, with the color coding, in a darkened or overly bright live situation, you can just glance at the color pattern to instantly recognize which Set List you're on. You can flip Set Lists without bending over while keeping some distance, especially useful if you're also wearing a bass or guitar or talking to the audience at the same time.

You could even go so far as to "mark" each Set List page, say in the upper right corner, by using a dummy/blank slot with a color not used elsewhere except for this specific purpose of identifying the type of Set List it is:

This is another usage indeed. Thanks for responding.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:

This is another usage indeed. Thanks for responding.
I guess you need to change it into every 16th or when you use 4/8 slots/page option to change it every 4/8 slots.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all responses so far.

If I take the majority of responses into account, it seems that people normally want to map a color to a specific 'function' or meaning of a single slot.

For this, maybe it's a nice idea that instead (or next to the colors), the meaning of each color can be selected in PCG Tools. Similar to e.g. categories which you can rename yourself.

Too bad, I cannot show the text on the Kronos itself of course.

Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are you going to use the new set list slot colors Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

Will try to assign same color to sets that a part of the same song.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are you going to use the new set list slot colors Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Will try to assign same color to sets that a part of the same song.

Sounds like a good intention ... maybe I will built in PCG Tools in the future something to 'define' the beginning of a new song (which can be used for moving mutliple set list slots automatically if they belong together).

andrewt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure yet how I'll use it. I play in a Rod Stewart tribute band that also does other covers and original songs. I have master Set List with every song in alphabetical order which gets updated when we put a new song in our repertoire. I make a copy of that Set List and use the copy to put the songs in order for the next gig (if we get a set list in advance... Rolling Eyes ), and then all the leftovers are in alphabetical order at the end of the Set List in case we do something that's not on the night's set list.

Sometimes it takes me a few seconds to find where the set ends and the spares begin, so I might color code the spares.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: