Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No MIDI being sent from SQ-1 to Ableton

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgw120205

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: No MIDI being sent from SQ-1 to Ableton Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I just bought the SQ-1 and have it connected via USB to my computer to run it with Ableton. I'm running into an issue where it won't send MIDI note information to Ableton although it appears as a usable MIDI device in Ableton's Midi Sync preferences.

On the MIDI track channel strip in Ableton I have it set up as:

MIDI FROM: SQ-1 (SEQ IN) on MIDI Channel 1 (default for the SQ-1)
MIDI TO: DIGIDESIGN MBOX TO PRO (Port 1) - I have the Volca bass running from the Midi of the MBOX.

I also have Track and Sync On for the SQ-1 SEQ In input channel. No MIDI is being sent at all though...any suggestions? I know the SQ-1 is synced up to Ableton though because when I start and stop the transport in Ableton the SQ-1 follows accordingly. Tempo wise it's in sync also....not sure what to do about that issue though. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - I don't use ableton but as you have it connected by usb, shouldn't you be looking for it as a usb device in ableton? not a midi device?

eg: my synths appear as usb inputs in Cubase as they are connected by USB, , they have their own named usb channel automatically, I just select it

midi connected instruments just select my soundcard and the channel, in your case the mbox.

yes the sq1-1 will auto follow as the usb cable will read clock info if ableton is set to transmit - the device doesn't need to be selected to follow clock if daw is transmitting.

look for a usb channel named sq-1
bgw120205

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. In Ableton the SQ-1 is fully recognized as usable USB/MIDI device and it also syncs to Ableton's time clock. You still have to select the SQ-1 as "MIDI From" on the track since it is outputting MIDI (or at least it's supposed to.) I had it working for a few minutes last night but it's not working again and I'm not really sure what the issue is with it not sending any MIDI into Ableton. Is it even capable of that or am I missing the point of what the USB is meant fore?

I'm sorta at a loss for what to do at this point regarding the USB functionality of the SQ-1....
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - do you have another daw you can test it on? usb sends midi just fine from the sq-1

do you have another piece of hardware you can drive from the usb?

process of elimination as to where the problem is Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: