Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Volca > DAW question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Another Volca > DAW question Reply with quote

Hello, all.

I am new to analog and have some questions regarding the Volca series. I browsed through a bunch of threads on this forum and am still having difficulty wrapping my head around how to best incorporate my Volca Bass into my Logic workflow. Here are my questions:

1. Is triggering the Volca by feeding it quantized MIDI from the DAW and then recording the audio the only way to go about getting the sound into the DAW apart from playing freeform?

2. What accessories/cables do you need to record MIDI-synced audio into a DAW while also being able to monitor playback?

3. Is matching the BPM on the Volca to the BPM of the project a viable way to get in sync without the use of MIDI in?

4. What if you have the whole range of Volcas - Bass, Beats, Keys, etc. How is recording into a DAW done then? Do you record individual instruments one by one? All at once? It sounds like a pretty tricky setup.

5. What is your workflow? Say, you have a Volca (or all three) and a DAW. How do you make a song?

As you can see I am struggling to understand all this a little bit haha. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to record all the hardware at once onto one (stereo) track.This is a simple and instant way of working.There is always the option to do some trimming or minor edits on the comp afterwards plus maybe some extra instruments/samples.You would need a mixer for this to combine the Volcas.
Midi clock sent from Logic is always a good idea,locking your tempo to the computers grid.It will also start all machines at the same time with a start command from Logic. Midi out into one Volca then use sync cables to link the others.
If you have no mixer plus want more control over your indervidual instruments to remix better in box,you can record each Volca seperatly ,one at a time.But you sacrifice some immediate ,organic flow as you're not jamming everything live together- things happen more contrived when multi traking this way.Although then you have the luxury of treating each sound to its own processing and edits.Alot of people here do it like this and you can end up with sophisticated tracks and its easy to intergrate with soft synths.Also no need to mix everything before recording..But it's nice to be able to monitor your other instruments if not recording them.A mixer is good for this and you can hear how your song is evolving with the different (volca)parts.
Some peeps get by with just a Belkin Rockstar for this.You will need stereo mini jacks at least to connect to it.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit- I've just re-read your post..you only have the VBass?
You don't need a mixer but I would recommend the midi clock from logic so you are in sync with your virtual instruments.
You can send sequenced notes from Logic but it will be more straight forward to sequence with the Volca -and use its special abilities.
pyll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Spheric. That makes sense.

I had some success getting audio from the Volca into Logic freeform, but I was unable to achieve MIDI sync.

- I set the MIDI clock on the Volca to Auto
- I connected Headphones Out to Line In on computer (I don't have an audio interface)
- Plugged USB MIDI Out from computer to 5-pin MIDI In plug on Volca
- Created External MIDI track and input a sequence
- Created an Audio track which received signal when I played the Volca manually but would not record from the MIDI track

Am I missing something here?
Thanks!
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all seems very good ,apart from point 3:
- Plugged USB MIDI Out from computer to 5-pin MIDI In plug on Volca
Are you using a simple cable converter? Did it come with any midi drivers? (-software from the company who make it).
You may want to consider an interface.You can get audio/midi combo's quite cheap and this would improve audio quality.I use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro.It does the job well enough.You may be able to find something cheaper on EBay.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an iOS device there is an app called midi monitor,which is free and would be useful now to check you have Logic routed fine.It sounds like you have,but just incase.Either that or another midi instrument.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing wrong with experimenting with your current system until you sort something better.You will experience drift.Just treat it like taking a sample and edit about with smaller chunks of audio.
pyll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I was using the iConnectivity mio converter. I'll have to see if it needs any sort of driver.

The Volca has a MIDI In port. Does that mean we plug the cable labeled MIDI Out into it or is it MIDI In to MIDI In? I tried plugging both ways just in case haha but I'd like to know which is the correct way.

I did not have a problem connecting Bass Station 2 to Logic, writing and editing MIDI, and then recording the audio. But my Volca won't read the MIDI regions.

Thanks for your help.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puzzling.
It's good your BassStation works.
It is midi out to in (btw) and it seems you've had iCM working so..
Have you tried different midi channels from Logic into Volca?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: