Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple Keyboard Controllers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcoulter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Multiple Keyboard Controllers Reply with quote

Given the Kronos' wide variety of sounds (and sound generators) as well as the very large polyphony of the instrument, I've been considering using it as the only sound module in my live rig, using one or two other midi keyboard controllers for quick sound changes (and to look cool in a retro 70s way).

Has anyone done this? How does it work for you?

Tentatively I was thinking about building a pyramid, stacking two controllers on top of the Kronos. Next up would be the ACUNA 73, and on top would be the AKAI MPK261.

Thoughts are welcome.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be simpler to have an 88 Kronos and set up combis with various splits/zones. I am in the minimalist gear crowd
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works really well. I've used different configurations off and on, using an upper controller with my K88 (an Axiom49) and a Vortex Keytar as well (besides the customary USB nanopad). These days I'm actually using a Prophet 12 on top, using it as both a synthesizer and a controller (along with the Nanopad). There are some things the Prophet does that the Kronos doesn't and the other way around. Plus, it makes a way better organ controller than the K88. I also control some other outboard gear from the Kronos, too. As long as you keep track of your channels and such, it's pretty simple to host a pretty complicated MIDI setup with the Kronos as the centerpiece. I use it weekly with a gigging band and the Kronos has been rock solid in that department.

I actually recently added a Moog Sub37 to the live rig, too. I probably won't be using it to control Kronos sounds, but I will be using the Kronos to be sending program change information to it.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Privia PX-350 under my Kronos 61 with lots of splits and layers on both boards...works perfectly. I have the Kronos on ch 1 and the PX-350 on ch 2. All sounds come from the Kronos.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the Kronos61 is cumbersome if you're taking it to various gigs a lot. I like to play most of my stuff live rather than sequence them. Stuff like Rush and Journey and other classic 70's and 80's there are lots of sounds going at the same time. I don't want to add extra weight/cost by getting more dedicated 61-key synths.

So I have multiple MIDI controllers which are lighter, smaller, and cheaper than buying and lugging several boards. By assigning different splits to separate MIDI channels and using various MIDI controllers assigned to those channels, I can play several sounds at once.

top tier: Novation X-station with 4 zones/MIDI channel sends (light weight, USB powered, nice keyboard feel and aftertouch)
2nd tier: Kronos61
floor: FCB1010 set up as bass pedals
on top right of X-station: Q-Nexus 2-octave controller (USB powered)

The Kronos serves as the central hub, supplying power over USB and as the main sound engine.

I'll soon be getting a Minitaur to dedicate to the bass pedals, and a DSI Tetra for leads and when I need that analog punch.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can connect 2 USB controllers to the Kronos, more if you connect a hub. If you want to connect more than 1 regular MIDI controller you will need a Midi Merger.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the controllers are class compliant there should not be any problems with multiple USB connections although it's not guaranteed as noted in this thread ...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=99037

I have connected several keyboards using MIDI and a MOTU MIDI Express XT without any issues.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup is a Roland FC300 Foot Controller (with extra volume pedal and dual switch), EX5 and Kronos.

The Kronos is now doing >90% of the sounds, but there's still a few that the EX5 does better, and I like its 76 note semi weighted keyboard as the main board.

The Kronos did allow me to replace a Remote61 and retire my gig rag and a PC that was running NI B4II

So, yes; it's easy to use a Kronos with a controller. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a Kronos as only sound source and another synth as 'slave keyboard'. I also use a foot pedal board which has a builtin MIDI merger.

I considered using the Kronos as ony keyboard, but I noticed I need to have multiple sounds at the same time (like different for verse/chorus) and programming them in order would be a lot of work (and less flexibility).

As someone above said, when using more than 2 keyboards, a MIDI merger is needed, but consider using splits having 2 keyboards only.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACUNA 73 and the AKAI MPK261 look to be great choices for MIDI controllers.

The Akai has all the nifty controls -- sliders, pads, buttons -- with aftertouch. And it is bus-powered, meaning you can just plug in one USB cable into the Kronos so you don't have to deal with a power supply nor a MIDI cable. Quick setup.

The Acuna looks like a good piano action controller. It's not too heavy at 32lbs, but I would get a Kronos61 if you're already gonna use this for the piano keybed. It also has 4 MIDI zones (very nice!), which means you can setup up multiple splits along the Acuna once and forget about it. Then in your Kronos combis you can just line up the various sounds along the MIDI channels without having to go in and edit the keyboard split ranges manually. You'll have to use the power supply, but you can use the USB cable or a MIDI cable to talk to the Kronos. Also nice is that is has multiple MIDI OUTs, so in theory it looks to be a nice MIDI controller in case you want to expand with modules/rackmounts in the future.
Arizona Sage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
]FCB1010[/b] set up as bass pedals

I have an FCB1010 but haven't tried using it with my KronosX88. Does it interface easily. Can you share any wisdom with a midi challenged person?

Kronos X88 OS 3.04
Mainstage/Omnisphere/Keyscape/Korg VST/M- Audio/Keylab controllers
Kemper Stage
PRS/Charvel/Jackson/Gretsch/Gibson guitars
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FCB1010 interfaces very easily with the Kronos -- just use the MIDI OUT directly into the MIDI IN on the Kronos.

If you already have something else going into the Kronos MIDI IN, plug that instead into the FCB1010, then use the MIDI OUT/THRU of the FCB into the Kronos IN. The FCB has MIDI merge, which means it will take any incoming MIDI and pass it THRU the OUT so that you can use both whatever is plugged into the FCB as well as the FCB itself. This feature is very handy.

As far as using it as a bass pedal, unfortunately it will take some MIDI programming to do it. Rather than read the manual and try to program it yourself, I would suggest just using the PC editor instead:

http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

If you intend to use it as bass pedals, you'll have to decide what notes you want the pedals to be. I found that it's best to use some kind of pentatonic scale to cover most songs. Going from left to right, on the bottom row, I have this setup:

A C D E G

The top row has the in-between notes that I'll use less often:

B C# D# F# A

If you need to use another scale, you can just make another preset and use the UP/DOWN to switch between whatever scales you need. This way, you can also use other presets to do things besides being a bass pedal, like sending program changes or MIDI control commands to turn off FX or trigger a wah or whatever. You can also program the 2 pedals however you like. Organ volume and wah-wah are two good examples, although it might be more practical to set two different volume pedals to control different instruments.

Incidentally, one cool way to use the FCB is to trigger the Kronos pads. Let's say you set up the pads to trigger audio samples or even chords. Normally you would have to touch the Kronos display, call up the Controller/Pads window so you can play the onscreen pads. Each pad has an associated MIDI note number. If you assign those MIDI notes to your FCB, then you can just use your feet to trigger those audio samples/backing tracks/chords/whatever. Hands-free Kronos pad use. =)

Try fiddling with the editor to see if you can make any progress. If you have any troubles, post here (or in a new FCB thread) and I'll try to help you out. HTH
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the above post:

- If you use multiple keyboards, use the slave keyboard MIDI's OUT to FCB MIDI IN. Connect FCB MIDI OUT to Kronos In (FCB MIDI OUT acts like merger with FCB MIDI IN).
- I didn't try, but it is possible to connect Kronos TRU to slave MIDI IN and have FCB control both of them (although separately).
- Use an application to program the FCB ... there are two... I forgot which one I use (I change the settings rarily).

Just FYI, I use the following functionality on FCB (with UNO chip):
- I only use one bank.
- One switch to 'program'/ set the pedals
- One pedal for volume (only MIDI channel 1, so slave keyboard is always on 100% volume, Kronos I can vary). Did this on purpose so I can e.g. use a dynamic sound on Kronos and non-dynamic sound on slave.
- Other pedal is for Ribbon (which I use for various changes).
- Switches for: Leslie off/on, Leslie speed, Leslie down (effect), Joystick up full (no hands needed for vibrator), one for damper, rest for various MIDI CCs which I barely use so far.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Arizona Sage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for your informative responses. I will need to spend some time with it. I had previously used my FCB with my guitar rig to switch my rack effects and amp channels. Never thought to use it with the Kronos but makes sense!

Kronos X88 OS 3.04
Mainstage/Omnisphere/Keyscape/Korg VST/M- Audio/Keylab controllers
Kemper Stage
PRS/Charvel/Jackson/Gretsch/Gibson guitars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: