Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Freezing When Playing a Combi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandiaburd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Kronos Freezing When Playing a Combi Reply with quote

I've experienced repeated freezes when playing, mostly with one particular combi (a 6 layer patch with two of the layers controlling an external keyboard). Once it freezes it won't respond to the touchscreen or any physical controls and the only way to fix is to power off/on. The freeze is bad enough during a gig but the 2 minute reboot sequence just rubs salt in the wound.

I recreated the combi from scratch but the new version suffers the same problems as the old. There doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern to exactly when it freezes or why. Sometimes it freezes with notes on and sometimes it freezes in-between notes.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious and maybe a hunch, as a test, I would try disconnecting the external keyboard from midi completely?
Is there a chance something may be going on here?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made about 20 combis, mostly not that much layered and never got a freeze myself.

I didn't make them from scratch, but by copying and adding/changing from there.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things to try:

1. As suggested above, build your 6 layer combi and remove the midi signal to the external keyboard. If problem gone then you know it's related to the external keyboard

2. Next build your 6 layer patch 1 by 1, identifying which prog (when you add it) causes the problem. Try a different prog instead - does it still freeze?

At least after that you should have isolated the issue a little more so that we can maybe help you get to the source of the problem.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably found a bug. Share the combi so others can try it, or send to Korg.
sandiaburd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Follow-up Reply with quote

Thanks for the repsonses. I take it from the lack of similar stories that I seem to eb the only "lucky" one with this problem.

I doubt that the external keyboard is the problem since I use several other combis that communicate with that keyboard. Also, it's only connected via MIDI out from the Korg to MIDI in to the other keyboard (a Roland V-Synth). But for the sake of complete testing I'll unhook the keyboards and verify that the combi still freezes the Korg and also try it with another external keyboard and see if it exhibits the same behavior.

I'll post the combi dump file this evening. I'd appreciate it if someone would try it on their Kronos and see if it freezes. As to the suggestion to send it to Korg, there's an online support form on their site but I see no way to attach a file.

I'll also try rebuilding the combi one layer at a time with testing in-between. Perhaps it is related to one specific program/sample?

I'm new to Korg - I've had the Kronos not quite a month and gigged with it for the first time over Halloween weekend - wasn't very happy when it locked up with a full set of stuck notes in the middle of Bring Me to Life (Evanescence).
sandiaburd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Follow-up with PCG File Reply with quote

I did some more testing last night. The original combi locked up even with the Roland V-Synth NOT connected to the Kronos. So then I tried recreating the combi one layer at a time and testing after each layer. The first 4 layers, all using internal programs worked without problem. Shortly after adding the fifth (one that controls an external program, with the Roland V-Synth still unconnected), the Kronons froze while playing the patch.

It appeas that the smallest unit of storage that I can back up is a full user bank. I backed up the bank (User A) containing the problem combis and zipped the file. There are three combis named some variation of "Bring Me To Life" in the bank (positions 2, 30, and 31). The combi in position 2 is the original 6-layer combi that freezes the Kronos. The combi in position 30 is 5-layer the copy that freezes the Kronos. The copy in position 31 is a 4-layer version that doesn't freeze the Kronos. The ZIP file can be downloaded from:

http://averia.unm.edu/CombisUserBankA.ZIP

I'd be grateful if someone would download the ZIP file, unzip the embedded PCG file, load combi 2 or 30 into your Kronos, and see if it causes your unit to freeze when playing it. It usually happens to me within 60 seconds or so, especially when using the damper and mod pedals a lot. My Kronos is an 88-key unit but I'd expect similar behavior in units with fewer keys.

Thanks in advance for your help.
MauiAlan1963

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: I've had same problem with new Kronos 2 Reply with quote

I just bought a Kronos 2 and received it in January 2021. I've had this occur 4 or 5 times, I believe it occured every time while in Combination Mode. On every occasion but one I had to turn off and restart to play again. I'm uncertain what's causing this and sent email to Korg customer service.

Otherwise, I'm thrilled with the Kronos ... love it. I see this is an old posting and am curious if anyone has new information on this issue. Thanks.
sandiaburd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine my surprise at seeing a follow-up message after almost ten years Smile

The problem was never solved directly, though I was able to create a similar combi that didn't have the lock-up problem. The OS has been upgraded a few times since then, but I haven't tested to see if the old combi still causes the lock-up. I never had the problem with any other combi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: