Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 61 Keybed disappoints-rant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Kronos 61 Keybed disappoints-rant Reply with quote

In the fall of 2019 I purchased my Korg Kronos online, I really wish I had tried out the Keybed feel before purchasing… I had been a triton and triton studio user exclusively since they came out and absolutely loved the Keybed feel/action! I mistakenly thought that the Kronos being the upgrade of the triton line would also use the same Yamaha FS Keybed, logical right? I knew that the marketing language said “semi-weighted” but these keyboard manufacturers have interchangeably been using these terms “synth action/semi-weighted action for years, so I assumed Korg wouldn’t change one of the most critical aspects of the triton line as so many users we’re professionals, but I was wrong. But I kept my Kronos because it is such a wonderful beast, but to this day I still don’t like the Kronos Keybed feel/action. I kept using my triton studio as my main board in my double keyboard setup. Now I need to replace my triton studio and I’m looking at the Yamaha Montage to get a different manufacturers tones for more sonic options, but mainly for that same Yamaha solid, smooth and fast FS or FSX Keybed. Why would one keyboard manufacturer use another manufacturer’s Keybed in their flagship if it wasn’t that good? It’s it’s a synth, it needs to have “synth action”. Thanks for letting me rant!
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with the "synth" action on my Kronos 2-61 purchased in 2017.
I connect a Studiologic SL88 Grand via a single USB cable for pianos, and play most all the organ/synth/sampler stuff on the Kronos keyboard.

My only complaints would be my constant worry that the Kronos is going to throw an error message on a gig, and the weight of the SL88 Grand.

I tried the lighter-weight SL88 Studio and didn't like the "spongy" action at all. It was like trying to play a memory-foam mattress. Exhausting.
RMW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m glad you enjoy the Kronos Keybed. I guess for me, I grew up playing a hammond b3 and not much acoustic piano, then I moved right into the wurly, clavinet, Roland 101, crumar orchestrated, XP80, etc as they came out, so I bypassed the acoustic and never got accustomed to the weighted feel. The synths even up through the 90’s all had truesynth action. When they started making those little 49’er keys more as controllers for studios they introduced that cheap plastic, then when they started putting large piano samples into synths, they had to add a “semi-weighted” feel for those sample pianos to feel/sound right. After that they just shoving the semi-weighted into synths. The exceptions were only certain high end synths, and that’s where I find myself today have to spend the extra $ to get the lush fat sounds AND the true “synth” action together. Anyhoo just really disappointed that they put “SEMI-weighted keys on the flagship 6 & 7. Why not just leave the weighted for the 88’s? Just my thoughts.
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to read, RMW. Good rant.

I'm happy with the Kronos keyboard, having also come to it after the Triton (and the Trinity before that), and I've generally been happy with any of the numerous synths I own (or have owned).

Even if I haven't initially been that happy with a new synth, I think I've overcome it because I quickly become fully engaged with the sounds themselves. In other words, it's just a tool to get to what I want, rather than a playing experience. In fact, in some ways, I think it can help to have all the different keybeds because they cause me to play slightly differently. The most extreme example of that - and it's the set-up that I'm naturally least drawn to - is the capacitative 'keyboard' of the Microfreak. But I can at least say that it's made me approach musicmaking in a new way, and I could always hook up a traditional keyboard if I was that desperate.

I experience far greater variations with piano keybeds, which are so individual that each instrument (each key sometimes) really is a one-off, and again I think that's good because playing differently will make me produce new and different ideas.

The reason I'm rambling on like this is to ask you whether or not your first experience of keyboards was a prolonged period of formal piano training on one piano that might have got you accustomed to a certain feel. With me, I missed out on all that education, and so I approach things in a very loose way. I'm just interested in any possible influence such an experience might have had on you.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also disappointed with the Kronos 61 initially. Now, I'm fine with it. You're right about the Yamaha FS keybed. Likely the best action for synths ever made. Sadly, Yamaha stopped making it some time ago. Likely too expensive. I wish it could be an option. This price for the competitive keybed or this higher price for the better keybed. But, if it isn't made any longer what can you do.
I service Yamaha products and over the years accumulated several of those keybeds. I built two MIDI controllers using them. I always knew the value and held onto them just for that reason. I still have a 76 note keybed hoping to finally use it in a newer controller.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Triton for years and was used to the keyboard action too, also played Hammonds. In 2012 I ordered a Nord Stage 2 without having touched one, it also has semi weighted keys. At first I thought, oh no what have I done? But after a bit of time it became very playable. When I ordered my K I knew what I was getting, another semi weighted keyboard. After playing semi weighted keyboards for many years, I don’t even give it a thought, but there’s no way I could ever deal with fully weighted keyboards for the style of music I play. Hang in there 😎
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only keybed that I really disliked and couldn't adapt to was the Studiologic SL88 Studio that I mentioned earlier.

I've got a Yamaha Motif ES8 that lives in my studio at home, and I really like that one for piano. But now I've gotten used to the Studiologic SL88 Grand that I'm gigging with, and it has a somewhat heavier action, and it takes me a while to adjust when switching between the ES8 and the SL88.

I have a little Roland A800-Pro 61-key controller that has a nice synth action that I like for playing organ and synth parts. But the whole unit is so light-weight that I've nearly sent it flying off the stand when I got a little too physical playing rock organ stuff. When I gig with it now I use some Gorilla tape to secure it to the stand.
RMW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
Interesting to read, RMW. Good rant.

I'm happy with the Kronos keyboard, having also come to it after the Triton (and the Trinity before that), and I've generally been happy with any of the numerous synths I own (or have owned).

Even if I haven't initially been that happy with a new synth, I think I've overcome it because I quickly become fully engaged with the sounds themselves. In other words, it's just a tool to get to what I want, rather than a playing experience. In fact, in some ways, I think it can help to have all the different keybeds because they cause me to play slightly differently. The most extreme example of that - and it's the set-up that I'm naturally least drawn to - is the capacitative 'keyboard' of the Microfreak. But I can at least say that it's made me approach musicmaking in a new way, and I could always hook up a traditional keyboard if I was that desperate.

I experience far greater variations with piano keybeds, which are so individual that each instrument (each key sometimes) really is a one-off, and again I think that's good because playing differently will make me produce new and different ideas.

The reason I'm rambling on like this is to ask you whether or not your first experience of keyboards was a prolonged period of formal piano training on one piano that might have got you accustomed to a certain feel. With me, I missed out on all that education, and so I approach things in a very loose way. I'm just interested in any possible influence such an experience might have had on you.

Pete.m good insight on how different Keybeds can stimulate our creativity… force us out of our boxes.

My training wasn’t formal in the sense of institutional music Ed but I did learn to play the Hammond B3 non-stop since about 9 yrs old. My father was a Pentecostal pastor and our neighborhood had recently received a great influx from the African American community so the schools churches stores, etc all changed and as we are all products of our environments the music really ignited me. Dad had AA evangelist & preachers from all around the east coast and the south come in and hold revivals in the church 6 nights a week sometimes for 3 weeks at a time. Most of the. Would bring their own organist and I would sit there beside the organist soaking their playing skills up every night. Naturally I started to get good real fast and it was all black gospel. This prolonged period went on for about 8 yrs till I was 18 or so and went on to do some really cool things in that field of music . But it was all organ Keybed action all those young yrs and yes I believe that set the tone for how I have become accustomed to a fast Keybed. The expression wasn’t in the how had you would strike the key it was on how you worked the drawbars and volume pedal to achieve all of the nuances and emotion- the 122 leslie speaker was a very big part that emotion.
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, RMW.

Wow - what an interesting story that is, and what a musical education to have had. You'll have really picked up on the energy of the playing in ways that a conventional musical upbringing might not have provided and, having come up playing that particular instrument, I totally get why you felt the need to say what you did about the Kronos keybed.

Interesting too, that a significant part of your playing was shaped by the drawbars and Leslie speaker and not just the keys themselves - kind of opening you up to the possibilties of electronic music further along the road, perhaps, in a way that just playing piano possibly wouldn't have done.

Thanks again for such a fascinating post.
RMW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
The only keybed that I really disliked and couldn't adapt to was the Studiologic SL88 Studio that I mentioned earlier.

I've got a Yamaha Motif ES8 that lives in my studio at home, and I really like that one for piano. But now I've gotten used to the Studiologic SL88 Grand that I'm gigging with, and it has a somewhat heavier action, and it takes me a while to adjust when switching between the ES8 and the SL88.

I have a little Roland A800-Pro 61-key controller that has a nice synth action that I like for playing organ and synth parts. But the whole unit is so light-weight that I've nearly sent it flying off the stand when I got a little too physical playing rock organ stuff. When I gig with it now I use some Gorilla tape to secure it to the stand.

Xenophile, thank you for your insights! You telling how you have to use gorilla tape to hold down your board rings a bell because I get emotional about the music I play and need a solid foundation beneath me. I looked at the Yamaha MODX6+ and it had internally what I feel I want to replace my main and bottom board the triton studio 61, but the thing only weighs 14lbs. There’s no way I would be happy with the delivery side of the music I get paid to play, I’d end up breaking it real quick! Lol. I can’t play with any creativity when the board is bouncing around under my hands! I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting the Montage as my main bottom board. Thanks for sharing your experience.
RMW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
I played a Triton for years and was used to the keyboard action too, also played Hammonds. In 2012 I ordered a Nord Stage 2 without having touched one, it also has semi weighted keys. At first I thought, oh no what have I done? But after a bit of time it became very playable. When I ordered my K I knew what I was getting, another semi weighted keyboard. After playing semi weighted keyboards for many years, I don’t even give it a thought, but there’s no way I could ever deal with fully weighted keyboards for the style of music I play. Hang in there 😎

Triton & The Hammond go well together, they feel similar and moving back and forth doesn’t feel like 2 different worlds. I’m pretty happy with the Hammond sounds on the Kronos though… after I tweaked them and got the basics like vibrato/chorus, key click, and got adjusted to the faders as drawbars, it screams for me… I can enter an organ solo with command, punch and emotion. I always split my boards with a Rhodes/acoustic/pop piano, or a wurly w/vibrato & Hammond on top. Thanks for the “hang in there” 👍
RMW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
I was also disappointed with the Kronos 61 initially. Now, I'm fine with it. You're right about the Yamaha FS keybed. Likely the best action for synths ever made. Sadly, Yamaha stopped making it some time ago. Likely too expensive. I wish it could be an option. This price for the competitive keybed or this higher price for the better keybed. But, if it isn't made any longer what can you do.
I service Yamaha products and over the years accumulated several of those keybeds. I built two MIDI controllers using them. I always knew the value and held onto them just for that reason. I still have a 76 note keybed hoping to finally use it in a newer controller.

Geo

That’s very cool you were able to keep those FS keybeds and build controllers with them!! That’s an amazing skill. We’re you happy with what you created??
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RMW, thanks for sharing your story.
Awesome sitting next to a variety of organists for 9 years!

It's great to hear you're happy with Kronos CX-3 organ.
It's been a point of contention on other forums on just how good it is.
Generally the consensus is fair to middlin', does the job but not the best.

You must have a fairly well trained organ ear by now.
So it's heartening to hear you've dialed in the Kronos to taste.
Would you be willing to share your organ patches with the community?

Also, when you enter a solo, what do you do?
I imagine you kick up your volume pedal and switch on the drive.
Do you grab certain faders and bump them up too?
Thanks in advance for any insights you could share.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Octave FS keybed with controls. Used with my modular synthesizer.
(Never been able to upload an image here...probably just me)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfu88fnvabl2uca/Modular%20kybd.jpg?dl=0[url][/url]
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
RMW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
Hi RMW, thanks for sharing your story.
Awesome sitting next to a variety of organists for 9 years!

It's great to hear you're happy with Kronos CX-3 organ.
It's been a point of contention on other forums on just how good it is.
Generally the consensus is fair to middlin', does the job but not the best.

You must have a fairly well trained organ ear by now.
So it's heartening to hear you've dialed in the Kronos to taste.
Would you be willing to share your organ patches with the community?

Also, when you enter a solo, what do you do?
I imagine you kick up your volume pedal and switch on the drive.
Do you grab certain faders and bump them up too?
Thanks in advance for any insights you could share.

IMO the CX-3 is middlin. I wanted to sometimes add organ solos in place of lead synth lines, I play POP, and R&B in a 11 piece wedding band. But when I added a blues band gig I really needed it so I focused on getting the most out of the CX3 since it was already in the Kronos. I use Logics when recording and there are some pretty good virtual B3’s in there but I have to stack them a bit. In the late 90’s and into early 2000’s I was a Hammond Suzuki rep in the Northwest region of the U.S. I was brought into Addison, ILL location and shown around. There were 2 techs at work benches and several new Leslie’s and some XB3’s in the back. I got the marketing spiel from Mike Armstrong (great guy!) and they sent me back to Seattle with an XB3 and a Leslie 122. I sold it to the church that I was working at and played it there for the next 2 years. With that combination it sounded pretty authentic but it still lack meat & balls. The digital tones were difficult for my ear to bring under control with the bars, meaning my usual bar registrations weren’t giving me what a tone wheel and military grade amplifier could. Then the 2 manual Nord came out, I played one of those at a different church and the same thing - tone went shrill and thin, no beef again. Ultimately I have come to the conclusion that all of the digital models suffer from the same thing - lack of a Hammond tone wheel generator & military grade amp, etc. so yes I use my ears whenever playing the clones and tweak them the best I can, but it is just not the same. I will try and videotape myself at my blues gig this weekend to show the way I use the bars with the Kronos. It’s all in the bars, even the volume. I don’t use a volume pedal on the Kronos, just the volume knob. I have a website. At the bottom is a video of a recording session where I did B3 overdubs. You can see how I use the bars for color & tone. The volume pedal on the real B is a huge part of it tho. Www.lavoyjenkinsmusic.com Yes, I will share my Kronos PCG file for sure. It’s nothing magical because I still end up wrestling with the bars as I solo anyway. In my style of playing I use bars to changes the voices which keeps the solos interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: