Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please remind me how to clone Kronos 2 SSD?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Please remind me how to clone Kronos 2 SSD? Reply with quote

I remember seeing a good post about it a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm not having a problem now, but I'd like to have a clone ready to go if the original should get flaky, or if I should need extra storage space for samples, backing tracks etc.

The new SSD will be much larger than the original, and if I understand correctly, I should (must?) create additional partitions/volumes on the new drive. I have a Windows 10 PC as well as a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro that I can use to clone the drive. If I understand correctly, if I clone the drive there should be no need to reinstall the Kronos OS from DVD and/or re-activate my purchased sound libraries.

Can someone kindly point me to a tutorial or instructions for cloning an original Kronos 2 SDD to a larger, new SSD? I imagine it could be done with MacOS' or Windows' built-in disk management utilities, but might be easier with some 3rd-party software.

Thanks!
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's 11 pages of advice for the curious.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68128&highlight=clone+ssd

And more:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=122927&highlight=clone+ssd
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow Purgatory's method below and ignore the rest. Worked like a charm for me back then and still zero problem. Avoid procedures that need to reauthorize anything.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118683
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Follow Purgatory's method below and ignore the rest. Worked like a charm for me back then and still zero problem. Avoid procedures that need to reauthorize anything.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118683

That's the one I was looking for. Thanks!
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After considering the stories about problems re-installing the Kronos OS from DVDs with larger SSDs, I bought two 128 GB Kingston SSDs from Amazon for $14.00 each. I was thinking that smaller drives like this might be harder to find in the future, and I don’t have a need for a lot of storage on my Kronos.

So I figured I would make one of the new drives an exact clone of my original drive, make sure it boots, and store it as a spare along with the original. Then I would make another clone and try using some partition utility to make the extra ~64 GB available for storage on Kronos if I should eventually need/want it.

I’ve always kinda-sorta wanted to play around with Linux, so I converted an older Asus laptop to Linux with the Ubuntu Desktop distro. I downloaded the Ubuntu ISO and burned it to a bootable USB thumb drive using Unetbootin. That went surprisingly smoothly… The only hiccup being some incorrect information on the web about how to get into the Asus laptop’s BIOS settings to enable the proper boot options.

Clonezilla and Gparted were readily available for download from the Ubuntu software repository by following simple instructions. But I had trouble trying to figure out how to use Clonezilla to do the “sector by sector copy” of the original drive. Interface didn’t look anything like what I saw on several YouTube video demos. Perhaps the videos were all using the Clonezilla “live boot” option where I was running it from within an Ubuntu install. After messing with it for a while I did get it to copy the drive, but it complained about partitions and did some sort of “optimization” that I didn’t understand. That image would not boot on my Kronos. So I pulled the new SSD back out of Kronos and brought it back to the Linux machine where the original Kronos drive was still connected. This time I used Linux low-level dd command to copy the original drive to the new drive:
sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc status=progress
This process took almost 3 hours to complete, but resulted in a clone that boots perfectly well on my Kronos. I didn’t time it, but it seems to reduce the boot time by about a full minute.

So now that I’ve figured out how to make a working clone, I will make another and try using Gparted to resize the ext3 /korg/rw partition and see if that works. Looking at other posts on the subject, I am seeing conflicting information about which partition should be re-sized. Intuitively it seems like /korg/rw should be the correct one.

But right now I’m happy just to have a spare bootable SDD. When I was messing with Clonezilla it told me that only about 27 GB of the original was used, and I still had like 29 GB free, and that is probably more than I’ll ever need.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS
I am not enjoying repeatedly removing and replacing dozens of screws on the bottom of my Kronos 2-61. I also learned that it is not a good idea to try to flip the unit right-side-up with the bottom panel removed because there is nothing securing the keyboard assembly, and it wants to fall out.
helminsen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: LARGER SSD Reply with quote

I have just purchased my first Kronos (a 2011) and are interested in getting a fresh "factory reset" with a larger SSD (thinking 250-500gb) by replacing the original disc.

Found this thread and my thought is that the below way seems to be a good option to go with but have anyone had problems during this process?

[quote="Xenophile"]Well, here's 11 pages of advice for the curious.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68128&highlight=clone+ssd

I have also ordered 2x2gb RAM for it (understand that only 3gb will be available though).

Do not have the restore DVD's but will be downloading from Korg and follow the instructions in burning the DVD's.
Only thing that is a bit confusing to me is that for the Kronos (2011) and the X there are just 2 downloadable files (updated 2023.03.17) and the restore instructions states 3 discs (I see there are 3 downloadable files for the Kronos 2)?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Kronos, and Kronos X came with two restore DVDs, whilst the Kronos 2 came with three DVDs.

helminsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The original Kronos, and Kronos X came with two restore DVDs, whilst the Kronos 2 came with three DVDs.

Thanks for the info!

My Kronos will soon get a update in memory, 500gb SSD, new fan + extra cooling for the CPU Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: