Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sample Manage Question (Legendary Strings)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
popmann

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SMALL part of the VSL library takes about 100GB HD and...I typically use 4-6GB in RAM buffers for a small Chamber ensemble.

Just saying.

I'm OK with the usage. The fact is--arranging/sequencing strings is a very separate process for me than any other use I would have. I'm OK clearing the whole memory. I guess it would be nice to still keep a piano, but...if it's truly studio caliber, then I'm OK with it needing the whole machine.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am REALLY REALLY trying to make this work, but DANG... I have to completely remove alot to make this work...

even taking away 2 of the 3 pianos and one of the drum sample sets only has me freeing up 487mb of ram...lol
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Korg... anyway, you can make this have a smaller impact on the RAM? i mean even 250mb or so would be a huge help...

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EXs 1 & 5 the HD-1 content correct?

That's a lot of content to lose if you don't load those samples... but at the same time, I'm thinking that since I have the m3, I may not really need those samples as much... (crazy thing is leaving that out only frees up 207MB...)

so now I'm at taking away: (or it looks like I'll have to)

EXs
6 German Grand
7 Japanse Grand
9 Jazz Ambiance Drums
1 ROM Expansion
5 ROM Expansion 2

AND MAYBE

3 Brass & Woodwind

if I do take 3 away as well it leaves me with 847MB
if I don't take 3 away it leaves me with 694 (just short of the required 700MB)

Don't get me wrong that is the beauty of the Kronos system, being able to load what you like and not load what you don't like/need

it's a gift and curse!!!! LOL

700MB just seems like alot compared to other sets...(in Kronos)

YouTube -

Facebook -

mathieumaes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better solution would be to simply upgrade the OS so it can support more memory...
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
A better solution would be to simply upgrade the OS so it can support more memory...

I don't know about this one... The motherboard has the first restriction to overcome: we have 2 slots and each one can hold 2 GB at most.

Updating this means upgrading the hardware Confused

But better if all of us are able to use VMT to the fullest extent.
popmann

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...32bit Windows can't see much more. Does anyone know if there'sa 32bit Linux distro that can see a full 4gb and have it addressable?

even with the 3gb swithc properly configured, 32bit Windows could only let a user mode app use about 2.8gb on my last PC.

No...this is a 32bit machine. Unless they redid the whole OS to be 64bit (which the chips are)...but, that would be HUGE work...and really dimished returns until they do a KronosII with 8-16gb of RAM.

It really would be cooler and more realistic to devlop easy "autoload sets"---where it just has a boot loader that comes up immediately and asks which user configured sets you want to load before proceeding. "Orchestral set"..."Piano set"...etc.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this would require a hardware change as well... But it makes me wonder why Korg decided to use 32-bit hardware in the first place...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wonder if the following algorithm would work:

- During startup, don't load any samples (this will reduce boot time)
- When start up is finished, automatically load samples, starting with the samples used in the currently selected program/combi and continuing back and further. This means that during the first xxx ms no samples will be loaded but using program up/down will cause the samples to be loaded (in almost any case).
- When memory is full, remove the last used sample and load new ones when needed (like swapping RAM in a normal OS).

Pro: no autoload lists are needed
Pro: boot time faster
Con: very fast switching or switching to other areas might cause a very slight delay

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would also be cool if we could identify samples based on a category... so in a case where we download an expansion set like legendary strings, we could go in and automatically identify any "default" or any other string samples that were loaded into the machine, then delete them to make room for the better samples...

same thing with drums. you purchase or create a sample set of drums you can easily go in run a query (based on category) and identify all the drum samples (even a sub-category would be nice) and then delete all those that you want to replace so they aren't taking up precious RAM space any more...

YouTube -

Facebook -

NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you can do is go through the programs in the expansion sets that you use/don't use. You need to write down the multi-samples used and not used in each program. Don't forget to look at your combis and make sure they're not using any programs you've "forgotten about" or didn't realize you used it in! Once you have this down you can go through the multisamples and remove the ones you don't need. From here you make you're own KSC file.

You may need to make several smaller KSCs and then load them all up together to create your "Main" KSC. This is the only way I know of to cut down the RAM use in a way you won't notice.

KORG already has done this with some of the Factory loads. I believe EX3s is pruned and the whole thing is not loaded. As much as we love the possibilities, at some point you have to make decisions about what you're acutally going to use. In fact you may have to do several setups for what you're working on. (i.e. one for your live gig, most studio sessions, orch arrangements etc...)
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:

In fact you may have to do several setups for what you're working on. (i.e. one for your live gig, most studio sessions, orch arrangements etc...)

For this reason it would be a good idea if a PCG file was connected to a KSC file which automatically loads (and unloads other if needed) samples which are used in the PCG file.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
it would also be cool if we could identify samples based on a category... so in a case where we download an expansion set like legendary strings, we could go in and automatically identify any "default" or any other string samples that were loaded into the machine, then delete them to make room for the better samples...

same thing with drums. you purchase or create a sample set of drums you can easily go in run a query (based on category) and identify all the drum samples (even a sub-category would be nice) and then delete all those that you want to replace so they aren't taking up precious RAM space any more...

This looks afaik a bit like the substitution system for windows fonts.

E.g. (with samples instead of fonts): program X uses samples a, b and c. There is a separate list that has for each sample a substitution set, e.g. a: f, g, x. b: h, j, z etc.
If a is not loaded or available, then f is used, otherwise g, otherwise x.

danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:

In fact you may have to do several setups for what you're working on. (i.e. one for your live gig, most studio sessions, orch arrangements etc...)

For this reason it would be a good idea if a PCG file was connected to a KSC file which automatically loads (and unloads other if needed) samples which are used in the PCG file.

If you save a PCG file and a KSC file with the same names, the KRONOS will load them in a single step. See the "Load KSC too" option in Load PCG.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:

If you save a PCG file and a KSC file with the same names, the KRONOS will load them in a single step. See the "Load KSC too" option in Load PCG.

- Dan

Thanks Dan ... I didn't know this (I don't know that much about samples/KSC files ... yet). I know it's a shame after owning also an Extreme.

NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:

- Dan

What's odd is, when I try that, it never seems to work. It's no big deal as individually loading always does. But the load KSC or load PCG (It seems the reverse is also available too) too has yet to work for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: