Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe Sampler/Bass Station II Slave Midi Setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squigges

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Electribe Sampler/Bass Station II Slave Midi Setup Reply with quote

Hi, I have the ES2 set up controlling the Novation Bass Station 2. On the default settings, the 1st pad on the ES2 is the midi track for the BS2, and the BS2 can be easily played using this setting via the ES2 keypad. However, when I change Pattern 1 on the ES2, for example, to Pattern 2, the BS2 changes from the patch I've chosen (for example, no 126) to Patch 1. And if I move up to Pattern 3, the BS2 changes the patch I've selected to Patch 2, etc. It seems to be calibrating the patterns of the ES2 to the patches of the BS2.

How do I stop the BS2 from automatically switching patches? Also, when using the touch pad on the ES2, the resonance or something on the BS2 changes and starts to make weird sounds, is there a way to choose not to have the touch pad affect the BS2's behaviour?

Thanks in advance!
scttcmpbll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this setup for a while, and its very annoying due to the fact that you can't use any knobs or the touchpad without it changing the BSII via midi CCs. If Korg implemented proper settings for turning off midi CC send and program change, this wouldn't be a problem. This could be done on the old Electribes.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Global Parameter on the e2: Set the global MIDI channel to a different number.

Global MIDI channel is where your program changes are sent to. If the slaved device is on another channel, it won't receive them - BSII won't changes patches on you.

Example: If you're controlling BSII on Channel 1, set global to Channel 2.
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long term solution get a midi splitter/ filter box
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm
Something like this will allow you in the future to play 2 synths from the E2 while filtering program changes
squigges

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:
Under Global Parameter on the e2: Set the global MIDI channel to a different number.

Global MIDI channel is where your program changes are sent to. If the slaved device is on another channel, it won't receive them - BSII won't changes patches on you.

Example: If you're controlling BSII on Channel 1, set global to Channel 2.

Great! That worked perfectly. Are there any interesting things that can be done as far as controlling the BS2 using the ES2? I mean, something that anyone has discovered about the midi parameters of the E2 or ES2 related to the BS2.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squigges wrote:
Great! That worked perfectly. Are there any interesting things that can be done as far as controlling the BS2 using the ES2? I mean, something that anyone has discovered about the midi parameters of the E2 or ES2 related to the BS2.

Well, both machines send and receive MIDI data for all the knobs, but those functions don't line up.

So if you change the oscillator edit knob on the electribe, you're adjusting resonance on the BSII, and vice versa if you run cables both ways. I guess that's good if you're running your BSII's audio into a mixer, not so great if you run it back into the electribe as the audio in oscillator.

You can look at the MIDI charts for both machines to see what knobs overlap.

I wish there was a more advanced MIDI filtering option on the electribe, so I could control the BSII from the electribe, run the audio of the BSII through the same channel as audio input oscillator, filter the knob data out, and tweak both machines without making a mess of the parameters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: