Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I figured out how to patch EXi1 to EXi2 inside a single prog
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirCombatWombat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: I figured out how to patch EXi1 to EXi2 inside a single prog Reply with quote

At last!

Here is how it works,

I noticed that both EXi's have separate sends to Master effects 1 & 2, I can't believe I have missed this as I really have been looking. The rest is simple, just send EXi1 to MFX1, set MFX1 to Stereo Limiter with 1:1 ratio and gain adjust 0. And set MFX1 return to 0 in the Routing tab. Then in EXi Audio Input tab, set EXi2 input source to MFX1. That's it.

The one thing I noticed is that the MFX block the signal if set to 000: No Effect, turning the effect on or off has no effect. I think it would be convenient if the "000: No Effect" would pass the signal through unaffected.
sirCombatWombat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The implications of this discovery are beginning to hit me, now it is much easier to program components for a big modular combi.

I have dreamt of owning a Buchla, now I'm not so sure if I need one anymore. Only time will tell. Cool
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Grapite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice going, more to explore, thanks!
regards
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I figured out how to patch EXi1 to EXi2 inside a single Reply with quote

sirCombatWombat wrote:
I noticed that both EXi's have separate sends to Master effects 1 & 2, I can't believe I have missed this as I really have been looking.

You didn't watch the Sample to Program tutorial on the DVD? Smile

Seriously, this is a great post. I have been wondering why the engineers didn't just allow EXi 1 or EXi 2 as a source input. Would be a cool implementation.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I figured out how to patch EXi1 to EXi2 inside a single Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
I have been wondering why the engineers didn't just allow EXi 1 or EXi 2 as a source input. Would be a cool implementation.

I understand that direct access to the individual EXis would be cool!

As to why it works this way: we used the main bussing system for the EXi audio input, and the signals for individual EXi or Osc (or even Programs, for that matter) aren't available there. Changes could have been made, of course, but it wouldn't necessarily have been trivial to do.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirCombatWombat wrote:
The implications of this discovery are beginning to hit me, now it is much easier to program components for a big modular combi.

I have dreamt of owning a Buchla, now I'm not so sure if I need one anymore. Only time will tell. Cool

Could you explain actaully what you're about, what those implications are and what all of this provided in terms of new capability. I'm not following your implied excitement in the slightest.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I figured out how to patch EXi1 to EXi2 inside a single Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Could you explain actaully what you're (excited) about, what those implications are and what all of this provided in terms of new capability. I'm not following your implied excitement in the slightest.

The implications are that you could use filters from both EXis on the input signal, so you could have 48db filter cutoff, mixed filters and synths.

Though this could be easily routed in a Combi, you don't have the advantage of staying in Edit Mode, so it has to be pre-planned. In a Program, you can just tweak and tweak, hearing your changes immediately.

sirCombatWombat wrote:
Here is how it works,

I noticed that both EXi's have separate sends to Master effects 1 & 2, I can't believe I have missed this as I really have been looking. The rest is simple, just send EXi1 to MFX1, set MFX1 to Stereo Limiter with 1:1 ratio and gain adjust 0. And set MFX1 return to 0 in the Routing tab. Then in EXi Audio Input tab, set EXi2 input source to MFX1. That's it.

The one thing I noticed is that the MFX block the signal if set to 000: No Effect, turning the effect on or off has no effect. I think it would be convenient if the "000: No Effect" would pass the signal through unaffected.

sirCombatWombat, I think you left out one step - on the IFX TAB, turn BUS SELECT to OFF. This will get rid of the dry signals. I'm guessing you did this.

The idea is that Master Effects go through the Total Effects, which are the last chain to L/R, so you don't need L/R on in the osc bus. A compressor or limiter will give you that "dry" signal, but you can use any effect you want, if you want to actually add an effect to that first osc.

Again, this is a remarkable post. Applause

Last edited by Mike Conway on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike -

Thanks for your reply. So - flexible filters - is that it?

sirCombatWombat - why do you now not need to buy a buchula modular synth? There are many OASYS non-synthesis experts who could do with an explanation.

Cheers,
Kevin.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Hi Mike -
Thanks for your reply. So - flexible filters - is that it?

There are many other possibilities. Look into what the MOD-7, MS-20EX, and STR-1 can do with live audio input - they all have different capabilities!

MOD-7: use audio input as an FM modulator, and process it through one or more waveshapers, ring modulators, and filters, using envelopes, LFOs, step sequencer for modulation

MS-20EX: use the ESP to generate control signals from the audio's volume and pitch; also process through the filters of course, but with the added bonus of modulating the filters at audio rates with the input audio

STR-1: use the audio as the excitation for the string (and process through filters too, of course)

- Dan
sirCombatWombat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, Mike!

danatkorg wrote:
Clever!

That means a lot coming from you Dan! Cool

Mike Conway wrote:
sirCombatWombat, I think you left out one step - on the IFX TAB, turn BUS SELECT to OFF. This will get rid of the dry signals. I'm guessing you did this.

I did, I forgot that from the description, thank you. Also the EXi2 has to be sent to the MFX2, and MFX2 return turned up.
What I haven't figured out is how to get the IFX in to the loop, but in combi mode this is not a problem so it doesn't matter that much.

danatkorg wrote:
There are many other possibilities. Look into what the MOD-7, MS-20EX, and STR-1 can do with live audio input - they all have different capabilities!

MOD-7: use audio input as an FM modulator, and process it through one or more waveshapers, ring modulators, and filters, using envelopes, LFOs, step sequencer for modulation

MS-20EX: use the ESP to generate control signals from the audio's volume and pitch; also process through the filters of course, but with the added bonus of modulating the filters at audio rates with the input audio

STR-1: use the audio as the excitation for the string (and process through filters too, of course)

Also the MOD-7 is very cool modulation source! I played with the Waveshapers set to LFO frequencies and fed them to MS-20EX LPF cutoff freq. that is set to self oscillate. Very fun!

Kevin Nolan wrote:
sirCombatWombat - why do you now not need to buy a buchula modular synth? There are many OASYS non-synthesis experts who could do with an explanation.

I think this thread is beginning to expand on that, so tag along. Of course the Buchla is vast and very complicated instrument, but I feel that I'm getting features from the OASYS that tread very much on Buchla territory, that's why the comparison.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your posts - very informative and very exciting. Well done sircombatwombat - it's like you've delivered a new significant OS feature to OASYSA users. Very much looking forward to harnessing this - thanks a million.

Anyone have any thoughts on what 48db/octave filter can deliver? I know that the beloved Roland VP330 Choral sound houses a 52 db/octave filter, but I don't know how critical that it to the extraordinary success of that sound. But surely 48 db/octave filtering of AL-1, Polysix and MS20 voices is going to be something special?

Kevin.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, sirCombat.

It would also be nice to hear some of the patches that have resulted from this discovery. Even if they're somewhat experimental.... Smile

jg::
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on what 48db/octave filter can deliver? I know that the beloved Roland VP330 Choral sound houses a 52 db/octave filter, but I don't know how critical that it to the extraordinary success of that sound. But surely 48 db/octave filtering of AL-1, Polysix and MS20 voices is going to be something special?

Kevin.

If more filtering is what you're looking for, you can do this with effects as well. As mentioned above, I don't think this the most interesting aspect of using EXi inputs (though it does give you the opportunity to use *different* filters, such as the MS-20EX's gritty filters on an STR-1 sound...).

Note that all of these connections will work best if you treat them as being monophonic, since there's no way to route individual voices - only busses.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried this, and noticed a caveat: you'll still hear EXi1's "dry" output signal, as well.

If you want to hear only the output of the second EXi, I think you'll need to use Combi or Sequencer modes, in which the bus routing is more flexible.

- Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: