Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for M50 owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Question for M50 owners Reply with quote

Hi, first post here.

I'm keyboard less right now;after almost 38 years playing, I've decided to retire and BAM!, a couple of old friends want to put up a band again, just for fun.

Some history first: I've had -among others-a Korg CX-3 V2 and a Hammond M100 with a Leslie 147 so, I have a pretty good idea how a good organ sounds.

My main use for the M50 (aside Rhodes , Wurly, some strings and brasses) would be organ sounds. (blues and jazz, Greg Rollie stuff, etc.)

I don't have a need for a sequencer, we would like to play live w/o loops. I've tried the X50 (had 2 X5D's before) and the organ sounds are disappointing, not inspiring I would say.

So here it comes: how good are the organs on the M50 and how tweakable are they? How's it's Leslie effect? Is it too artificial? Is the Perc/Chorus tweakable?Is the upper octave fat enough or thin like on the K5d? I guess I could layer several organs to add the "foldback" sensation...How are the keys, say, compared to Korg's X5D and X50?

I know I will NOT get the same feeling and sound with the M50 but it's a tradeoff and I accept it.

I've been Googling for almost 2 weeks to find info about the M50 organs and found crap on Youtube.

All opinions / help are welcomed!

Thank you
pizzafilms

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Here's my 2 cents about the organ sounds on the M50:

Overall, they're pretty good as far as a rompler keyboard goes. To me, the thing that usually ruins a good B3 simulation is the Leslie. The M50's Leslie simulation is pretty damn good. You can certainly tweak distortion amount, quality and tone, rotor speeds, mic distance and spread. All in all, I've found some settings that I really like and saved the effect setting for use in other patches.

As far as the actual patches goes, they're made up of samples of the usual settings. Some with and without percussion. I wish there were a few more B3 samples, but you'll find some thin, thicker and really fat drawbar settings to use as building blocks.

BUT...you'll definitely have to do some tweaking to to get sounds to taste, which will obviously range all over the place depending on what you're looking for.

The keyboard (assuming the 61 or 73 key models), is pretty light synth action. To me, it's WAY better than breaking your fingers on the weighted keys of the 88 when you're trying to do smears or whatever. Yes, it's light, some say too light, but it was better than I was expecting. To me, the best synth keybed I've ever played is on the Korg M3, but this is also about $1000 cheaper, but only feels about $300-400 cheaper. Wink

Obviously, if there's any way to get to a music store that has a M50 on display, by all means, that will tell you the most.

My means of comparison, I've been playing a Yamaha MO-8 for some gigs and the Leslie effect really ruins the B3 sounds. Much cheesier.

Anyway, I really love my M50. It's a 73 which I personally think is the best size. I used to have a Triton Studio and while this is obviously the cheaper model than the M3, there's some serious bang for the buck here.

Hope that's helpful.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The organs and EP's are the best I've ever played. The acoustic piano is pretty realistic.

My main patches are organs and pianos and I am in love with what Korg did with this thing.

Don't forget that the M50 and the M3 are the exact same sampleset and the patches work between the two. Any sound you can get with a stock M3, you can get on the M50.

Check out my footer and you'll see what gear I'm currently using. My M50 is quickly becoming my main synth. the more time I spend with it the more I find it is superior at.

Now here's the quick disclaimer: The difference between the M3 and M50 are that the M50 lacks a sampler, aftertouch, and a couple things like the XY pad or the ability to add the EXB-Radias.

But here's the good news: the M50 weighs less than almost any synth out there. The 88 key keybed is the exact same as the M3's and it's fantastic. If you opt for the 61 or 73 key, it's a "synth" action. Between you and me, the more I play the M50, the more I prefer it's keybed over the M3's. It's MUCH faster and it doesn't feel like the keys are in oatmeal as it does on the M3.

The M50 is no sacrifice. It's great...

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys.

Is there anyone you know who posted links to audio files with just the organs?

Pads and pianos I've heard, but organs not and again, the Youtube videos I've found are not helping with my quest.

Thanks again.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none that I know of. BUT, I will say their organs aren't just awesome, they are A W E S O M E. The Leslie is awesome. The types of organs cover all of the bases and they are easily tweakable.

I thought the organs and EP's on my Triton were awesome and these organs are a million times better.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jerryv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am impressed with the organ and piano sounds ... but this is such a personal thing .... It's worth taking a ride to a music store to hear it for yourself, even if it's a long ride. This instrument really puts an amplifier to the test .. the difference between my amp and a good set of headphones is really noticeable .. The M50 puts out a very rich sound, IMHO ..
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerryv wrote:
I also am impressed with the organ and piano sounds ... but this is such a personal thing .... It's worth taking a ride to a music store to hear it for yourself, even if it's a long ride. This instrument really puts an amplifier to the test .. the difference between my amp and a good set of headphones is really noticeable .. The M50 puts out a very rich sound, IMHO ..

Pianos I'm not worried about, they are very good and there's plenty of demos out there. I hope someone puts some organ demos. I guess if I get one, I will be the one posting those demos for the help to potential buyers.

In the Country I'm living now, the M50 is u$s 1452 and return/refund policy is 0, so, though call.
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which country are you at at this moment, but I strongly believe you won't be disappointed with Organ sounds on the M50. And with Tone Adjust, a non-destructive tweak system, is even better.

Also, having a touchscreen display at this price range is so awesome.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is also (here or in the m3 section, don't remember) a short tutorial for programming a drawbar organ, if this can be of your interest
candlewick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up on the organs !!!!!! I think they are even better than the piano's. Plenty on the buffet to pick from. My band mates have been very impressed.

Go for it !!!!!

"I Need More Cowbell!!"
-Todd

TritonLE76,X3R, M50-61, TD6V V-drum module w/ Pintech Mesh Triggers
runeharpun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. The organs are imo the best part of the M50. The leslie and distortion effects on the unit are very good. There is a link in the forum to some user made organ patches which are even better than the bundled ones.

R
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runeharpun wrote:
I totally agree. The organs are imo the best part of the M50. The leslie and distortion effects on the unit are very good. There is a link in the forum to some user made organ patches which are even better than the bundled ones.

R

Hi,

Could you please provide the link?

Thanks
runeharpun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43266

But there are no audio clips here.

R
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

Yesterday I went to a store to audition the X50 and the M50.

In this Country, the prices are: X50 u$s 950 / M50 u$s 1410.(taxes incl.)

Organs on the M50 aren't u$s 450 worth the price difference. Some organs on the X50 were very powerful and inspiring, just "some".

I know that, with the M50 I will get a better keybed, display, memory, M3 sounds, different synthesis, 5 insert effects, on board sequencer but the main thing I was looking for (Hammond sounds) were not that different.

Now, I will need to evaluate if the price difference will be justified or not, giving the fact that whichever keyboard I choose, will be the one for many, many years to come.

Thank you all for the helpful opinions.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but if your main goals is organ sound there is better choice than x50, as clavia C series or clavia electro / stage, b3 clone ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: