Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I was bad today... :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: I was bad today... :) Reply with quote

Curious how difficult it is too fix a broken key? Simple. 5 screws hold the entire keybed in place (2 on each side and 1 in the middle). 3 screws on top of each octave. Better get used to this pic. If you gliss AT ALL, you'll be snapping them like toothpicks when they start to age.

All the rest of the pics are for one purpose. Enjoy:

more coming soon. Need a couple things to finish. Smile

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quick question since you opened up the M50: are there springs for the keys action or just plastic contacts like those on the X50?

Thank you.

Korg M50 / Korg Nanokontrol 2

Past gear

Teisco Organ / Yamaha Electone / Casio CZ-230S / Casio CZ-3000 / Ensoniq ESQ 1 / Ensoniq SQ1 / Ensoniq SQ1 Plus / Ensoniq SD-1 /Yamaha PSR? / Hammond XM-1 / Roland RS9 / H&K Rotosphere / Yamaha S80 / Korg X5 / Kurzweil ME-1 / Korg X5D / Korg CX-3 (V2) / Hammond M111 & Leslie 147

Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/bubusdeolivos?feature=results_main
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the M50 has ZERO springs in it. It's all plastic. That's why I took the picture of the side profile of the keybed so people can see how tough it will be to replace a key, how the action works, how it's connected, etc.

Those keys are fairly flexible now. Once they harden, I'm afraid that they will snap if you are a hard player. China isn't known for long lasting stuff.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing people were ditching the X50 because of the lack of springs under the keys...

Korg M50 / Korg Nanokontrol 2

Past gear

Teisco Organ / Yamaha Electone / Casio CZ-230S / Casio CZ-3000 / Ensoniq ESQ 1 / Ensoniq SQ1 / Ensoniq SQ1 Plus / Ensoniq SD-1 /Yamaha PSR? / Hammond XM-1 / Roland RS9 / H&K Rotosphere / Yamaha S80 / Korg X5 / Kurzweil ME-1 / Korg X5D / Korg CX-3 (V2) / Hammond M111 & Leslie 147

Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/bubusdeolivos?feature=results_main
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No springs - that seems to be a trend in low-end keyboards these days...I really like the keybed on the Yamaha NP-30 Portable Grand, unweighted but very playable in piano style, but was surprised to see no springs when I opened it up...I was thinking about installing the NP-30 keybed in another instrument (for the feel and for the much lighter weight) but decided against it because I wasn't sure how long the flexible plastic keys would last (and since the NP-30 is a "home" keyboard, this clearly wasn't a design criteria)...it sounds like people had the same concerns with the X50, or did they actually have problems with it?

It seems like it would be possible to produce a reliable, lightweight keybed with a piano-type feel, using some other technology to provide key resistance...there would be a market among us older pro and semi-pro musicians for a lighter, higher-end 76-key instrument that had such a keybed...

df
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keybed seems to be the only weakness I have with the M50. But I like playing it to be honest. And if I was certain the keys wouldn't break on me, I'd have NO problem with it. I just hate thinking how all that's standing between me and broken keys is about 1/16" of plastic. I'm way too hard on 'em for those to last long. My Triton keybed has held up over 10 years but that wasn't a "cheap" keybed.

Only time will tell... So far so good though.

-Mc
boogieman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you place the power adapter inside the keyboard? If so, did you have to drill a hole for the power cord to come out? Needless to say, I'd have to think twice about this, as I'm sure it voids the warranty. But the little round socket for the power plug is SOOO flimsy...
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm cutting out a LARGE hole to mount an IEC socket to the outside of the case so I can just plug a standard cable to the back. Funny thing is, it's EXACTLY how Korg did it on the M3. Since the back of the case is metal, I'm trying to decide the cleanest way to do that.

When this is done, there'll be enough pictures to see exactly how everything was done. I have everything figured out except how to cut that IEC socket hole and how to securely mount the power supply without drilling holes through the top of the case.

I'm POSITIVE this voids the warranty. If you don't gig much, I wouldn't worry about it. But the thought of leaving the power supply at home on accident scares me.

-Mc
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the keybed is so easy to remove and reinstall, a manufacturer might offer a springed or maybe even a full weighted hammer action upgrade to 61s and 73s.

Do anyone knows if the keybed on the 88 is the same design. I mean, no springs and just plastic hinges?

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the M50-88 is a whole different animal. It uses the M3 keybed which ISN'T cheap in any way and it's manufactured in Japan where the 61 and 73 are made in China. I also don't see the keybed alone being profitable and it would cost the consumer QUITE a bit of money if such an upgrade even existed.

The M50 synth action keys aren't bad to play, I just don't know if they can last very long. That's my only concern. Sure, they're not spring action (which makes the top of the keys immovable), but they aren't that bad and certainly better than many other synths that cost more.

Now if Korg sold replacement keys on the cheap, I'm good all the way around. They are certainly easy enough to replace...

-Mc
Critica1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find that playing my M50 is more enjoyable than whining about it's "defects"...how strange Shocked
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critica1 wrote:
i find that playing my M50 is more enjoyable than whining about it's "defects"...how strange Shocked

ahhhhh newbies. Almost begging to get flamed. Welcome to the internet Critica1. You should have mom or dad sit with you for a while.

Until then, please be quiet. Grown ups are talking...

-Mc

p.s The term for what you just did is called "trolling." It's also not considered humorous or welcome.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it is possible to change the keybed to a new one, for example, the Fatar TP/8s?

Andrew
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. There'd be so much retrofitting to the M50 it would make more sense to pull all the guts out of the M50 and make it a module so you could use any keybed you wanted - and that'd be insane. Might as well buy the M3-M at that point.

-Mc
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was only a "fantasy". But, really, the keybed is the only true wrong thing in this keyboard. I can't "feel" the machine under my fingers, compared to my previous N5ex and TR61 (not to mention the M3 keybed I also had, of course, which is on another planet).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: