Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal CF Card (replacing the floppy drive)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Internal CF Card (replacing the floppy drive) Reply with quote

after seeing this thread: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43989

I purchased the internal CF Card upgrade from scsiforsamplers.com: http://www.scsiforsamplers.com/cfcard.asp

Relatively simple install if you don't mind using a screwdriver on an expensive synthesizer. Sounded right up my alley so I jumped on it. One very cool thing about SCSIforSamplers is "tech support" is the guy who builds and tests all of his products. When you call, he is 100% knowledgeable on what you're calling about. It's also cool to be able to call up to 11PM EST 7 days a week - which is when I happen to be doing that kind of work. Smile

3 words: I love it. It's VERY fast for loading/saving samples and PCG files. It will take up to a 4GB card (which is like 25 bucks at Wal-Mart) and larger than I will ever need to store all of my samples and .pcg files. It's nice to not wait on the zip drive or cd drive anymore.

If you want to see all the pics I took, check out my photobucket page for it:

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab49/mjlarsen/triton/

I haven't compared times on the CF vs. zip vs CDR yet but I will shortly. If you have any questions, ask away.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you gotta be called a "Synth Surgeon". You really don't faint when looking inside those boxes eh? Laughing

Great to have you around here, showing us that with some knowledge our beloved gear can be upgraded ever and ever.

Keep it up, bro Wink

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
bsr2002

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that work for KARMA?

Live Rig: Roland Fantom X6, KORG TR61, Yamaha Motif ES6

http://www.facebook.com/bennyrillo
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the EXB-SCSI, it will.

If you have any questions, call J.D. at scsiforsamplers.com and tell him McHale sent ya. He's a nice guy, very helpful, and keeps LATE hours. Smile

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
Man, you gotta be called a "Synth Surgeon". You really don't faint when looking inside those boxes eh? Laughing

Great to have you around here, showing us that with some knowledge our beloved gear can be upgraded ever and ever.

Keep it up, bro Wink

Wait til I do my next mod on my M3. Smile

-Mc
scsiforsamplers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: CF-CARD drive ready for Classic and Rack installs Reply with quote

Very Happy Mike, thanks for all your efforts. We sure had fun with that install! But the entire procedure is now down to a science, for both the Triton Classic and Triton Rack models.

So if you are thinking about taking the plunge, don't be shy - it really is rather easy. And having 4GB of fast, totally silent storage space, always ready when you are, is well worth a night's effort.
Swatch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good post.

If the Triton is fully compatible with my Macbook, maybe I could install this on my Triton and buy another compact flash reader (usb) for the Macbook.

Why did you need to change the SCSI cable?

Thanks,
Frank
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you actually piggyback a 2nd SCSI cable to the original. The original is still there. By piggybacking to the original, it allows you to still have your external connector while connecting an internal SCSI device. If you didn't add the 2nd cable, you would no longer have an external SCSI connection.

-Mc
dewdman42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale, I have the scsi kit and and internal HD installed. Will the CF be any faster than the internal HD?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

typically, flash memory is faster than a HD but a lot depends on the class of the flash memory as well as the limitations of the Triton.

I haven't ever used a HD with my Triton but the CF loads as fast as the Triton can handle. The only way to tell for sure would be to compare times when loading from both. I'll time it loading a huge sample this weekend to give you an idea...
scsiforsamplers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that our CF-CARD SCSI card reader drive is any faster than a hard drive - in general, it is a bit slower but most people are okay with that because of the many other advantages.

McHale makes a good point when he says "the CF loads as fast as the Triton can handle". There is more to the perceived loading speed than simply accessing and loading the sample data. Remember that it takes time for a sampler to integrate the samples into memory and set up all the parameters required to play the patches. It may be that neither CF card drive nor hard drive would show any real difference because the Triton cannot get the data into memory and set it all up fast enough to take advantage of any actual speed difference.
dewdman42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding to the question even though it probably resulted in loss of selling one more CF unit heh.

Though I can see some strong advantages in terms of reliability of using the CF instead, to easily backup my drive for one thing, as well as to to have a spare copy of the data...and probably the HD is not as resilient for taking to gigs.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you gig, an internal CF drive is far better than an external anything. The less you have to carry, drop, lose, get stolen, etc the better. I know of one guy who had his zip drive back in the day stolen after he loaded his samples. He turned his synth off between sets and when he came back, the zip drive was gone - NO SAMPLES for the second set.

SAME GUY, last year, someone stole his thumb drive from the back of his M3.

Just sayin'
dewdman42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I actually have an internal HD kit I got a long time ago, like 10 years ago. The Triton has been in storage for a while, but I'm pulling it out soon to gig. I am hoping the internal HD will be fine for this. The kit I have had an external SCSI jack for plugging in CD's and internally a HD installed inside. I seem to recall that I still was able to keep my floppy drive, but I can't remember for sure now. I am about to pull it out and start working with it again, its been a while.
scsiforsamplers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Musitronics, maybe? Reply with quote

Most likely it is that kit from those guys at Musitronics in Germany. They offered an internal drive install kit and a 2.5" SCSI hard drive - it is really a very nice kit, although way too expensive.

Our kit is fairly inexpensive and you can install your own drive, if you wish to. And if you already have a hard drive that is working, I would not expect you to want to switch to a CF drive. But for the rest of you with a Korg Triton Classic, Triton Rack, Triton Pro or Triton ProX, now is the time to upgrade to the speed and reliability of a solid-state solution, either the CF-CARD drive or the CF-SSD (solid-state drive). You can have up to 4GB of storage capacity and best of all, the CF-CARD drive allows you to easily pop the CF card and insert it into a USB card reader attached to your computer. Transfer sample files from your computer or archive your Triton files to your computer hard drive this way. What a great wave editing or backup solution!

Please check our website here:

Product List by Sampler

for a list of all the products that we carry for your sampler. And please contact us by phone or email if you have any questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: