Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lionstracs Mediastation OPEN Workstation.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Lionstracs Mediastation OPEN Workstation. Reply with quote

Hi all.
For anyone interested, here's some content I've recorded on the Lionstracs Mediastation as I work my way through it exploring what it has to offer. If you don't know what it is, well it's an OPEN Synth meaning it's a Linux PC inside a keyboard with a custom OS that makes everything pretty much seamless like a normal synth, but with the benefits of being able to install whatever you want on it and all the other benefits you would expect to get from a PC.

Being a Linux machine does not mean it's limited to Linux software either. In fact it runs Windows applications and VSTi's quite well to thanks to Wine.

So if all this sound interesting, feel free to check back as I'll update this first post with new links as I record new material.

Videos (YouTube)
1 - Introduction
2 – Loading Giga Files
3 – Piano Performance
4 – Arranger Introduction
5 – The Voyage – Performance with singing.
6 - Internet Access
7 - Arranger in depth.

MP3 Files
Song Title -“Daniel” – Giga files & VSTi's
Song Title - “Dance the night away” – Giga files & VSTi's

Photos
The keyboard arrives.
Opening the box.

Regards
Sharp

Last edited by Sharp on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:08 am; edited 2 times in total
LIONSTRACS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James!
Nice videos like always.

for anyone interested on specifications and features, just ask.
Regards
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for now beats any other machine out there besides OL, forget
Audya, Oasys or anything similar, this is the future of music.
Ozz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nice post Sharp
The Mediastation really seem to be a nice sounding machine, a great competence for the OL Neko and PC Desktop environment workstation.
It's my idea of this synth is more oriented to the arranger market?

About the Linux limitations, wine do a great job but doesn't guarantees 100% of compatibility with all the windows software. But in the other side, Linux offer really good software like Ardour DAW.

Personally I don't like a lot the PC/Synth. Seems that OL and Lionstracs have done a good work on the optimization of the OS resources and stability of the machine, but it's still a PC and a OS not designed to do only synth functions. But I cannot deny that the use of big samples libraries and VST synths are a good competition to "hardware synths".

I don't know much about the Audya, but the big difference with the OASYS is the OS. Unlike the Mediastation and Neko, the OASYS doesn't run in a Desktop OS, run in a one-porpose OS giving almost all the hardware resources to the synth, doing something like a "classic hardware synth" without a DSP/SOC but with a more powerfull CPU.

That difference seems to be forgotten on almost all discussions about Neko/OASYS/Mediastation. The 3 are differents machines Windows OS, Linux OS and a custom OS based on Linux Kernel. The difference of CPU power availability in a 1-purpose OS could be really big.

IMO the Mediastation is a direct competition to the Neko offering the plus of the Arranger function. The Neko offer the 100% compatibility with the top commercial audio software. Both have better specs as a sequencer/sampler than the OASYS.

But the OASYS offer, IMO, better synths capabilities, you could have the biggest sample on the world, but without a good synth and treatment, it's useless. Surelly some sounds would be better with bigger samples and, IMO, the big deficiency of the OASYS, it's limited to load samples not bigger than a small amount of RAM, working like a classic ROMpler and not using the capabilities of the PC hardware to load dynamically big samples.

Regards.
Alvaro.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Mediastation really seem to be a nice sounding machine, a great competence for the OL Neko and PC Desktop environment workstation.
It's my idea of this synth is more oriented to the arranger market?

Maybe because of the fact that it has all the dedicated controls people might think that but really it's just the concept that's right in my opinion. It can be a workstaiton, arranger or whatever you want. Where if you bought an Open Labs keyboard straight away your dependent on the Track Pad & Touch screen for the majority of control over what you install on their keyboards.

It's that which is what makes the Lionstracs keyboards more flexible and OPEN in my opinion. As standard it comes with all the controls to be both a workstation and an arranger. If you want it to be that is as you have to install the arranger software.

Quote:
About the Linux limitations, wine do a great job but doesn't guarantees 100% of compatibility with all the windows software. But in the other side, Linux offer really good software like Ardour DAW.

True and I'm interested to see how all that pans out in the future as I get more use from the keyboard. So far it's run everything I've thrown at it without any problems at all. Maybe if you were running general windows applications you might see some compatibility issues with Wine, but I wonder how if since all your really doing is using Wine to launch VSTHOST, then from that point onwards it's the VSTHOST app that launches the VSTi DLL. So maybe there are no compatibility issues in using it to run VSTi's.

Quote:
Personally I don't like a lot the PC/Synth. Seems that OL and Lionstracs have done a good work on the optimization of the OS resources and stability of the machine, but it's still a PC and a OS not designed to do only synth functions. But I cannot deny that the use of big samples libraries and VST synths are a good competition to "hardware synths".

I think that's where Open Labs and Lionstracs start to go different directions. A Neko is still very much so a PC at heart as it has to be operated mainly from Windows, the touch screen and the track pad, where a lionstracs keyboard operates more like a normal workstation because you have dedicated buttons for calling up sounds and so on and they are displayed in the custom OS that looks and operates just like a normal keyboard does.

For example, in the 2nd and 4th video's you don't see me accessing the actual software that's producing the sounds. I'm making all the changes from the custom OS which. If that were a Neko then on the screen you would have seen Giga Sampler and Live Arranger PC software running and being controlled from the Track Pad.

Quote:
I don't know much about the Audya, but the big difference with the OASYS is the OS. Unlike the Mediastation and Neko, the OASYS doesn't run in a Desktop OS, run in a one-porpose OS giving almost all the hardware resources to the synth, doing something like a "classic hardware synth" without a DSP/SOC but with a more powerfull CPU.

True, but then the down side to that is that they are not open or future proof. I think in the future that will be a key point in peoples decision to buy a keyboard. It's already important to many right now, but it's going to take time for Neko's and Mediastations to catch on for more and more people to buy into the idea. It's a very different concept to what we have been used to playing for years.

Quote:
But the OASYS offer, IMO, better synths capabilities, you could have the biggest sample on the world, but without a good synth and treatment, it's useless. Surelly some sounds would be better with bigger samples and, IMO, the big deficiency of the OASYS, it's limited to load samples not bigger than a small amount of RAM, working like a classic ROMpler and not using the capabilities of the PC hardware to load dynamically big samples.

I think it goes without saying that the clarity and depth of the OASYS is second to none but you get 100 X times more bang for your buck when you buy Open keyboards. That's something which is likely to draw people in. One platform that can run all your favorite synths.

I bet KORG and others are already working on their own OPEN keyboards. Either way you look at it, there are some fun times a head. The technology is going to change quite a lot in the next few years I bet.

Regards
Sharp.

Last edited by Sharp on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
LIONSTRACS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you made really a detalied and correct technical reply James, compliment.

Phil from Spain made a new Concert video with the Mediastation too.
Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/centrorey#p/a/u/0/HtmXLFMb4PQ

cheers
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World's best keyboardists are either african or italian, figures that an Italian company makes one of the best computer based keyboards Smile

I just so happen to have sicilian blood from my father myself Wink
Ozz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yep Sharp
But, like the Mediastation, the Neko also has a layer with their own software to operate like a "classic synth".

I really like the open part from the Mediastation and Neko (also is the broken promise from the OASYS), its really annoying to me to find a nice VSTi and think about use my synth as a MIDI controller (or take one) in a show with a PC/laptop on a gig :S surelly I preffer to use a Mediastation or Neko.

I think that the classic synth manufacturers will have to be more in sync with the PC hardware/software advance.

I would really like a KORG, Yamaha, Roland, etc, synth using a really powerfull CPU/GPU (do u imagine parallel computing on a synth?? 1 thread per voice xD) and using all it resources, bigger ROM; faster/bigger RAM; SDD or Flash Memory or iPod disk xD as internal storage (not classic HDD); and releasing a SDK or allowing to load VST or a new standar to use the synth resources and interface. I would love to play on a syth like that, I don't mind to loose the capability to navigate on inet, write a letter to my fans and play Crysis on my synth Razz

About the VST, don't need to see the fancy/pretty GUI of a VST, you can load it and see the GUI from the host

But all this is discussion for other topic XD..

By the way... I really like the videos/audios.. its a great synth and better concept almost future proof Wink

Regards.
Alvaro.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Just a quick note to say that my first post was updated to include a new YouTube video.

Number 5.

Regards
James
LIONSTRACS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really GOOD demo James!
The PADs/choir sounds are awesome...seem like that you still play the OASYS sounds..
Smile

I have update my website with your video demo too.
compliment again.
cheers

http://www.lionstracs.com/store/information_pages.php?info_id=25
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really GOOD demo James!
The PADs/choir sounds are awesome...seem like that you still play the OASYS sounds..

Thanks.
All the sounds are coming from the Meidastation. The pad and choir sounds are the KORG M1 legacy VSTi running on the Mediastation.

The opening sound is called Universe and something I'd expect every KORG fan here to instantly recognise. It one of the most famous sounds ever as it was COMBI 000 on the M1. Every time you turn it on that's the sound you heard first.

Don't know if you saw my post over on Harmany Central. You might like to have a quick read because there's some nice comments about your keyboard.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2601455

Quote:
I have update my website with your video demo too.
compliment again.
cheers

Nice... feel free to link to any video's I've posted.

Kind Regards
James
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, brother... You got too many toys and live too far from my house! I await more videos!
Ozz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just amazing.
Great sound, great machine and also great singing Wink

Regards
Alvaro.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...!!!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp, do you know if this would run MAX/MSP?

The demo is free to try...
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: