Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS RAM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:
it's a user level upgrade, no problem, and no guarantee loss

I don't think so because the Kronos has no removable slot covers. The only way to install bigger RAM would be to open the case. No manufacturer would allow the user to open the case and still honor the warranty.

well your remark is really too late!

but to upgrade the oasys ram you had to open the case (which was really easy) and it was a user level, no guarantee loss. confirmed !!!

now what is different withe kronos it's that it seems it's not the same way to open it like the oasys was.
mjames4208

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a computer geek, but is it possible that, in a future update, external hard drives will work as ram? This would allow streaming of user samples.... Again, I'm not a computer geek. I'm just throwing that idea out there.
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjames4208 wrote:
I'm not a computer geek, but is it possible that, in a future update, external hard drives will work as ram? This would allow streaming of user samples.... Again, I'm not a computer geek. I'm just throwing that idea out there.

External hard drives would not be used as RAM, but as with a PC or Mac, a secondary hard drive (internal or external) can be used to store samples that are streamed by a sampler (like Kontakt).

I doubt Korg would do it. Korg is pretty conservative when it comes to designing a solution and sticking with it. Adding a second external drive for sample streaming might introduce too much risk.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not get any hopes up for being able to expand the RAM memory.

I remember a bit of information from a few months ago about the sort of Atom processor used for the KRONOS, which was said to be a dual core running at 1.5Mhz.
The only dual-core Atom running at 1.5Mhz I can find is the N550, and you can't use more than 2GB with that processor.

Unless of course KORG used an older underclocked D5xx model, in which case it would be possible to expand to memory to 4GB.
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
I would not get any hopes up for being able to expand the RAM memory.

I remember a bit of information from a few months ago about the sort of Atom processor used for the KRONOS, which was said to be a dual core running at 1.5Mhz.
The only dual-core Atom running at 1.5Mhz I can find is the N550, and you can't use more than 2GB with that processor.

Unless of course KORG used an older underclocked D5xx model, in which case it would be possible to expand to memory to 4GB.

Well, Korg has been a bit cagey about revealing the CPU model, but you KNOW someone will eventually open up the Kronos and make a positive identification. Any brave souls out there?
panrixx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KapnKrunch wrote:
Well, Korg has been a bit cagey about revealing the CPU model, but you KNOW someone will eventually open up the Kronos and make a positive identification. Any brave souls out there?

Sounds like a job for McHale Wink
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
KapnKrunch wrote:

Sounds like a job for McHale Wink

Right! Let's get McHale to do it, he'll do anything Smile

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1, they mentioned 1.6 GHz, not 1.5 GHz. The only embedded 1.6 GHz Atom dualcore with HyperThreading, and support for up to 4 GB of RAM is D510.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a couple weeks, we'll know for sure. Smile
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Jan1, they mentioned 1.6 GHz, not 1.5 GHz. The only embedded 1.6 GHz Atom dualcore with HyperThreading, and support for up to 4 GB of RAM is D510.

I somehow remember that at one point 1.5 GHz was mentioned, but I can't say I'm completely sure about this anymore.

You're right about the processor, the N550 is not suitable for an embedded system, so it must be one of the 'D' models, probably the one you mentioned. Which is good news, because it means that 4GB of RAM should be technically possible.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the way I understand it is.. If you remove programs(Exis) to make room for new programs..Sharps, Erics, or what you create etc,,. it also affects the Combis??

So you have one free bank thats it ,,, and after that the Kronos is fully loaded and anything you remove.... or move... around the combis are hosed that use those programs you just removed. ?? And I created a setlist using one of the Extras and then rebooted it to the factory setting and the Setlist Program doesnt play now.. just as I thought. SO you have to reload it everytime to play correctly in the setlist? I seriously dont understand this layout at all..especially since the setlist is supposed to be preloaded everytime.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing programs has ALWAYS affected the combis with Korg.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Removing programs has ALWAYS affected the combis with Korg.

This is both good and bad. If you improve (or personalize) a program than it has the advantage that it automatically is being used by all combis using that program. However, if you want to change the program purely for a combi, you have to copy it first (without knowing in which combis it is used). Luckily a cross reference list is posted.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I wish combis were self-contained, not referring to the programs (but still having a possibility to load from programs - they just wouldn't use a pointer to the memory location of a certain program, instead they would copy the program to their own file and make it a part of itself). That would take more memory, sure, but then again memory is cheap nowadays.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Actually I wish combis were self-contained, not referring to the programs (but still having a possibility to load from programs - they just wouldn't use a pointer to the memory location of a certain program, instead they would copy the program to their own file and make it a part of itself). That would take more memory, sure, but then again memory is cheap nowadays.

That's a feature that is VERY desirable, just like 'Smooth Sound Transition'. Wish all keyboard manufacturers did that. Access Virus TI finally did that. Their multis contain separate copies of the program patches that make um up. C'mon Korg... it doesn't take that much more patch space Wink

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: