Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dilemma - trade Z1 for Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilemma - trade Z1 for Kronos? Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
shawnhar wrote:
I know, I know, never sell an old synth, you'll regret it later...
[...]
But I don't think I can afford one unless I trade in my Z1 to get it!

• How much money would you get from selling your Z1?
• How long would it take you to save that amount?
• Do you really need/want a Kronos *immediately*?

I agree with EXer: if it's a simple matter of needing the money to get a Kronos you're better off just selling the Z1 and jumping right in. If you can afford to get the Kronos and the idea of selling the Z1 for extra cash down the road just sounds like a good/responsible idea then maybe it's a better idea to just bite the bullet and eat the cost of the Z1 now so you can hold on to it for the long-term.

If you're the type who likes diving into the sound engine and playing with/manipulating parameters to experiment or have so much knowledge of the architecture that you can be productive just jumping into sound design with the engine then I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Kronos. It is different from the Z1; I can't say if it's better or worse- just different. Don't forget, though, that you can supplement some of the unrealistic sounds with samples in the combi mode (which allows blending up to 16 programs, each with different engines and up to 2 "osc"s per program) to get a more realistic performance.

If you just like the presets of the Z1, I'm not sure you'll be able to just fire up the Kronos and find exactly what you're looking for (although there are a ton of sounds to audition among the 9 engines and 14 banks). I think you will ultimately enjoy the added freedom and expansiveness of the Kronos as long as you don't get hung up on how unlike the Z1 it is.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
shawnhar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys, that was very helpful.

The more I think about it, the more I think I need to figure out a way to hang onto the Z1. I'm not generally much of a one for hanging onto old gear (it always sounds good in theory, but I inevitably find myself not actually using the old stuff any more) but I think the Z1 is just too unique and special to live without. Quite apart from anything else, the x/y touchpad alone is worth the price of entry! I don't understand why Korg still make keyboards without one: it's just a fantastic control surface for so many purposes.

Which means it is time to crack open the piggy bank and start counting pennies toward my Kronos gear lust Smile
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't know if Yamaha owned Korg,

Um, no.

To the original poster, if you do plan on parting with your Z1, definitely don't trade it in... I'm sure you know this already, but sell it outright as you'll obviously end up
with more $$$.

Very Happy
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 5-600$ you'll get for Z1 and you wont get no more then that it is not
worth it selling, i would not sell the Z1 for any price if i had it, keep it please
since i know down the line you will regret. Wait another month or two to save
that Z1 money for the Kronos and then get Kronos, it will be worth waiting
but then having Z1 and Kronos.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
I don't know if Yamaha owned Korg,

Um, no.

To the original poster, if you do plan on parting with your Z1, definitely don't trade it in... I'm sure you know this already, but sell it outright as you'll obviously end up
with more $$$.

Very Happy

Yamaha DID own Korg for a while. It was a very unusual arrangement where Yamaha bought Korg on Korg's request - and for a limited time - to help Korg financially. As soon as the M1 and related technologies did well for Korg, they bought their independence back.

As for the original question - I'm delighted to hear you're keeping your Z1. It sounds like it in particular is very special to you so for the sake of the $500 or perhaps less you'd get for it, just wait till you can afford the Kronos. I own the Z1 and OASYS and the Z1/MOSS sound is strong, versatile and not represented on OASYS. So if you want to retain the Z1 sound - you must retain a Z1.

I also own the VL1 and agree with the comments regarding the Z1 and VL1 sounding very different. Indeed the VL1 sounds incredibly acoustic (though I disagree with the poster who said it sounds thin without the breadth controller) while the Z1 altogether more synthetic - but equally usuable.

Kevin.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Yamaha DID own Korg for a while. It was a very unusual arrangement where Yamaha bought Korg on Korg's request - and for a limited time - to help Korg financially. As soon as the M1 and related technologies did well for Korg, they bought their independence back.

Ah, well that's different from what I was told: Yamaha invested money in Korg, but didn't own the company.

Anyway... that's irrelevant when it comes to the MOSS topic though.

Very Happy
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually - your take on it is about right - I believe Yamaha took a majority share hoding for several years to provide capital to Korg with an agreement to sell the shares back at a fair price when Korg were better off. So technically Yamaha had a majority stake in Korg but I believe they never interfered in the running of the company.

Kevin.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. I wanted to make sure my info was indeed accurate.

Very Happy
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Triton classic, fully loaded including Moss. The idea was to keep that but use the Kronos as my main board. However... now that the Kronos has been here for 3 weeks, I haven't even fired up the Triton! I don't know if its because of the whole novelty of the Kronos or not... but I can tell you that the pianos on the Kronos are so superior that I can't see using those on the Triton again. Still contemplating selling the Triton, but I had 11 good years with it!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're playing live and need the flexibility of two boards under your fingers I can definitely feel you. I'm planning to keep my Extreme 61 with Moss once I get my K88, but am somewhat afraid I'll be programming all my new stuff on the K!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Unless you're playing live and need the flexibility of two boards under your fingers I can definitely feel you. I'm planning to keep my Extreme 61 with Moss once I get my K88, but am somewhat afraid I'll be programming all my new stuff on the K!

I have a bit of the same. I have an M50 and only use the Triton Extreme now as slave keyboard. However, it's nice to always use it and in case the M50 would fail during a gig, I always can use the Extreme (altough not all combis are programmed there).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? You prefer the sounds and possibilities of the M50 over the Extreme?
I've tried the M3 and while I liked the control surface, I didn't think the sound difference was immense for my purposes (it's my top tier keyboard, no piano/ep etc). Plus, IIRC, the Extreme has many more patch memories which is always nice as starting points for my own sounds. And 5 IFX. And sampling.
leukegast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Korg Z1, super Synth! Reply with quote

Korg Z1 is a super synth. I own now the Korg Z1 for more than 4 years, and I still like it. I love the controllers.
See here my Korg Z1 video's , I hope it will give you some new inspiration.
http://www.youtube.com/leukegast

I doesn't own a Kronos, but a Kronos is much expensiver than a second hand Korg Z1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: