Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future Kronos Owners- Have no fear :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Future Kronos Owners- Have no fear :) Reply with quote

I received my K88 this morning.

As a prior owner of a XS7, Extreme 76, Triton 61, M3M , Rd700GX1, I have a fair perspective for comparison.

As far as folks that have been highly critical and vocal of build quality, I don't share your critique. If you own a Kronos, its possible you received a 1st run that wasn't as solid as mine. Or maybe you demo'd a board at Guitar Center which was a return and smacked around by 5 year old's.
Or maybe you are from mofotator Smile

The fan is NOT noisy. I hear it and its slightly above audible. my room is very live with wood floors, and minimal furniture. Fan noise not a distraction.

The RH3 is a nice surprise and I am a piano player. RH3 feels and responds great and I am used to the RD700GX1.
My RH3 is flawless, no spaces or gaps.

Navigating the small fonts/sub menus ( characters are somewhat crowded on some screens) will take some practice . I use the up/down arrow buttons in sub menus as an alternative.
I also have adjusted my stand lower so I have a better view of the Touchscreen.

The LCD resolution is bright and detailed. I don't know how it fares in direct sunlight.

I am ordering a pad controller to better use the Karma pads. a
pad controller is inexpensive & will sit nicely on my 88.

All the Kronos buttons and dials are solid. I think they are a step up in quality compared to the Extreme.

The sliders have a little play if you wiggle them sideways. But who does that ? The Kronos up/down sliders are perfectly ok. The XS motif sliders are a touch more solid in comparison.

The Kronos looks AWESOME. The chassis is extremely impressive, all components fit neatly and perfectly.

BTW, my serial # is 540
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you got it. Looking forward to your comments as you get to actually use it some more!
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only fear is how long my wait is going to be.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
My only fear is how long my wait is going to be.

my preorder was from February so wait is my best friend.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reporting on your RH3. Makes me feel confident that mine will be fixed.
dregsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Greg on your new Kronos 88! And thanks for update on the keybed etc.

I'm near death waiting for my 73. I have to force myself to read the messages on the board every day to keep up to date, it is very depressing. No small consolation that many others are still waiting like I am.

The good news is I just got an update from GC and, (take a deep breath) I should be getting my 73 in about two weeks.

I won't be holding my breath this time. Wink
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Great comments too!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on GregC's observations - same sentiments here!

Last edited by PianoManChuck on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Kronos Owners- Have no fear :) Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I received my K88 this morning.

As a prior owner of a XS7, Extreme 76, Triton 61, M3M , Rd700GX1, I have a fair perspective for comparison.

As far as folks that have been highly critical and vocal of build quality, I don't share your critique. If you own a Kronos, its possible you received a 1st run that wasn't as solid as mine. Or maybe you demo'd a board at Guitar Center which was a return and smacked around by 5 year old's.
Or maybe you are from mofotator Smile

The fan is NOT noisy. I hear it and its slightly above audible. my room is very live with wood floors, and minimal furniture. Fan noise not a distraction.

The RH3 is a nice surprise and I am a piano player. RH3 feels and responds great and I am used to the RD700GX1.
My RH3 is flawless, no spaces or gaps.

Navigating the small fonts/sub menus ( characters are somewhat crowded on some screens) will take some practice . I use the up/down arrow buttons in sub menus as an alternative.
I also have adjusted my stand lower so I have a better view of the Touchscreen.

The LCD resolution is bright and detailed. I don't know how it fares in direct sunlight.

I am ordering a pad controller to better use the Karma pads. a
pad controller is inexpensive & will sit nicely on my 88.

All the Kronos buttons and dials are solid. I think they are a step up in quality compared to the Extreme.

The sliders have a little play if you wiggle them sideways. But who does that ? The Kronos up/down sliders are perfectly ok. The XS motif sliders are a touch more solid in comparison.

The Kronos looks AWESOME. The chassis is extremely impressive, all components fit neatly and perfectly.

BTW, my serial # is 540

That's all excellent news! Congratulations!

I remember first getting mine out of the box and playing around with it thinking that the sound of the fan was just something to get used to: not annoying or loud, just different coming from the other gear I've had. Then I remembered a Yamaha A3000 with internal SCSI drive I used to use and how I could swear I was living next to an airport when the drive would spin up! Razz

I'm glad you enjoy it so far and I'm sure you'll still be in the middle of sussing out its immenseness when mid-October's OS upgrade and late-Novembers VSTi/AU editor sneak up on you like a surprise!! Smile

Hammer On!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
drchris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it just gets better! I've had my 88 for about 7 weeks now (but 2 of those were vacation so I was away from the board), and I spent most of the day playing and practicing on it. I spent an hour working on wavestation sound porting (which is a steep learning curve for me, but I'm making progress). Then the rest of the time was spent with the German Piano in a custom split for a particular song that our worship leader asked me to play in 2 weeks. Practicing is completely different than ever before on the Kronos. I sometimes sit and play the same thing over and over again partly to hone my "chops" and partly just because it makes me feel good to hear this thing.

You have many great days ahead of you with you new Kronos.

Chris
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations you have received it; and thanks for the good review.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Enzi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know. I am picking up my K88 next week ... Very Happy
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on Greg experience, my 88 is of the same great quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: