Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume linearity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Volume linearity Reply with quote

Can somebody confirm the volumes in the timbres of the combis are linear or not (or all volumes used in the Kronos ... and probably for other models too)?

The reason I ask: I have an M50 and Triton Extreme and will go to the Kronos later. For several combis, some volumes of timbres used in it are set to 127. I try to keep all volumes of the timbres in the combis as they should be sound while gigging, i.e. some timbres will have very low volumes, other highs (also depending on used effects etc).

With my app (PCG Tools), I want to be able to change the volumes of a set of combis or programs at the same time. This way you can lower the volumes of all combis from e.g. I-A000 to I-A050 with e.g. 20%. However, I need to know if the values are linear. I guess they are since there is already such a feature for a single combi but not for a set of combis.

And second question, would others like this feature?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maphill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be a good feature.

The best way to check:

1) Fine a very simple sustaining program, or make one that is just a sine wave.

2) Create a MIDI file that has the same note played successively at the same velocity, but sending volume control messages in between 10 20 30 40, etc. 120. Or whatever resolution you want.

3) Export the recording to Audition/CoolEdit, or any wave program with statistics. For a sine, you could look at peak amplitude for each note, for more complex sounds, might be safe to compare RMS.

4) Report back here with your results and save us the work. Wink

Seriously though, if nobody is willing to do this, I could look into it.

Mark
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea ... maybe it sounds lazy since I asked the question and I'm going to say I'm not going to do this immediately but if nobody knows it or nobody tries I will .... actually the reason is that I want to continue programming for the next months and probably the test will keep me a few hours busy (I have not even connected my synth to the computer).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Rounding inaccuracies? Reply with quote

I have done a test on my Korg M50 and wonder if somebody can try it on the Kronos. It only takes a minute.

- Select a combi.
- Set one timbre to volume 127 (max), one at 100 and one to 50 and one to 2.
- Check 'hold balance'
- Select the volume 100 timbre.
- Decrease it to 50.
- Check the volume 127, volume 50 and volume 2 timbre.

On my Korg M50 it is 63 resp. 24. The 63 is possible: 127/2=63.5 and probably truncated to 63. However I would expect 25 and 1 for the other and it is 24 and 0. This cannot be a rounding error and the 0 timbre is now inaudible. Of course it would be soft already, but depending on vca, vcf, waveform and effects it may give some extra dimension to the sound which is now gone.

And since Korg itself has the 'hold balance' implented as a (more or less) linear scale, I can assume the volume curve is also linear (at least in the values).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: