Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum for Korg M1, T3 and O1W
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should AI synths (M1, T series, 01W, etc.) and derivatives get their own forum and make some other changes?
Yes, 'Korg family' and downloads should be broken into synthesis methods then family as an additional level - or something big to resuffle things and make it more logical and easy to oversee
40%
 40%  [ 13 ]
Yes, but only one family for AI, M1 or alike should be added and leave all the rest alone
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
I like the forum structure as it is, nobody cares about dinosaurs - get a life
40%
 40%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 32

synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Forum for Korg M1, T3 and O1W Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=420830#420830

I fully support Kevin's idea and I think it has been said by many and many times before. Hence I thought it might worth a poll here - maybe it gets more attention...

Also, reshaping download sections a little to reflect these changes would be nice.

My .02
Kevin Nolan wrote:
...Sharp - I realise we chatted about it through PM but would respectfully recommend (it's easy to recommend stuff Smile )the following changes and additions to these forums:

1. Forum for Korg M1, T3 and O1W

2. Move Korg General Synthesizers up above the Triton forums that are now a bit dated and arguably over serviced with separate forums, quite far up the Index page. Perhaps consolidate all of those into one Triton forum

3. Forums for Monotron, Monotribe

I realise it's all work - but Korgforums could do with an update in these regards (when you get a minute !!)

Cheers,
Kevin.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed for my PCG Tools (which is not available for pre Triton, sorry for that), that I even get a lot less hits for the Tritons than for more recent synths.

However, for specific questions it would be nice to have more folders.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually tend to think there are too many sections. Particularly the tritons - the majority of questions that arise aren't specific for a certain model and could be answered under any of the sections.

It is nice to seperate the entry level and more professional products though - excuse any controversial thinking, but you tend to find more in-depth discussions for the professional products and more 'how do I plug X into Y' and 'How do I record samples on my Synthesizer?' questions... (If you at least get the direction i'm coming from, excuse any blunt generalisations).

The Korg Synths (General) sections covers mostly older instruments that don't really get enough traffic on their own to warrant their own section.

Many newcomers struggle to get past or understand the many sections as it is - and sometimes just go for one of the first 10 options and post there rather than finding the right section - so I don't really think more sections are the answer.

Of course, these are my personal opinions and in no way reflect any official position (as a moderator) with regards to for example Sharp's decisions on the structure of KF
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, some interesting results here! Smile
Majority so far (low number of votes, though) seems to think that no changes are needed.

X-Trade wrote:
I actually tend to think there are too many sections. Particularly the tritons - the majority of questions that arise aren't specific for a certain model and could be answered under any of the sections.
Many newcomers struggle to get past or understand the many sections as it is - and sometimes just go for one of the first 10 options and post there rather than finding the right section - so I don't really think more sections are the answer.

I agree pretty much with all that X-trade wrote. Hence my suggestion to go by synth engines at first level (AI, ACCESS, HI, etc.) and then (second level) by family. It would simplify the first screen a forumer sees, as there should be not so many synthesis methods used in Korg keyboard (so far, at least - and putting Oasys and Kronos somewhere on that map would be some challenge, I reckon). So it is just an idea, should not stop anyone else posting theirs.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naming of the forums is important though. I would venture that most people coming here with questions have no idea what engine is inside their synth. So I would choose combining all the Triton forums into one called "Triton" and then a subtext "all HI-bases synthesis, including Triton Classic, Extreme, Light, TR etc etc etc.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
... I would venture that most people coming here with questions have no idea what engine is inside their synth.

Even though it is mostly written on the front or in the start-up splash screen, you've got a valid point there. Still, I have no better idea than going by synth engine, since they can share many points in common. An idea also proposed by Gargamel314

Not many votes, but majority makes me (any maybe others with ancient synths) feel like a pain in the a$$. Oh, well...
jhulk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: changes Reply with quote

it should be specific to the synthesis engine

also these ancient machines are great for creativity

to much to do in new synths all done for you massive sample engines

instead of being creative they are just whole recordings of other peoples performances so people are starting to be just key pressers and letting some ones elses performance do it for them

its the same with the karma arpeg they do what 2 hands need to do with 1 finger yes they are great but its making lazy keyboard players

and doing the imagination for you and every body can sound the same

its like soft synths every one is using the same synth and every body is sounding the same

if ancient stuff is so bad why is the old expressive stuff starting to sell like hot cakes and there price is sky rocketing

this time last year you could pick up an m1 for £100 they are now selling for £250+ and that is becuase of users trying the software version

the hardware has more punch than the soft version

and the monopoly is way fatter than the softversion

and my korg dss1 with its massive 16mb sampleram kick tritons teeth in for breakfast

theres something to be said for analog filters

thats why the diy tech is flying ahead becuase they know low bit synth engines coupled with real analog filters sound way better than dsp filters
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Let's all go back to out of tune monophonic synths with no memory and impossible to lug around cp80s! Modern synths are creativity killers! That's why people like Herbie Hancock and Jordan Rudess play them, after all!
I'm going back to sequencing on my Atari too, it just sounds better.
Morshu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love the m1 but i dont have one Sad
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thoughts are ... i'm okay with how things are, things are working fine in there, but right now the "Korg Synths" subforum is an odds and ends forum. If you've played/programmed an M1 or an N364, you pretty much have a good idea of how ALL of the rest of the AI/AI2 synths work. But then some of the newer but less popular synths (the ones that aren't Kronos's or M50's) get thrown in there too like the Monotron, the PS60, Microstation, MP10 Pro ... which is kinda irrelevant to the rest of what's covered. And the poor microstation people REALLY want their own forum!

It's not really a matter of forum traffic, but if you're just starting out with your first X5D, and you see this GIANT forum full of a million subforums, and all the way at the bottom is a bucket-list of random archaic 1980's/1990's synths and workstations, it's pretty easy to miss and you'd prob just end up posting in that "Testing This Forum" category where no one ever goes, or in the Kronos forum. Razz People STILL use these synths, and they still buy them on eBay and have questions, especially now that they're aged and are starting to malfunction.

The Downloads section also looks like it hasn't been touched in years... just sayin it would be nice to see that reorganized/updated. But the best way to separate those would still be to separate by the Korg SYSEX model #, so keep X3 & N364's together, but separate from the 01/W, N5, etc., since they're not necessarily interchangeable (some are, some aren't).

What would be REALLY neat, would be to link each download section to each sub-forum. That way it's right there to access every time you visit the forum. I wonder how many people who use this site even know we have a downloads page.

X-Trade wrote:

On Stephen Kay's site, he actually has sub-categories within some of the sub-forums, is it possible to do that here? It might help with the organization. Like, if you look in the M3 forum, there's a sub-forum labeled "Programs, Combinations, and Sound Programming" and then there's a single sub-category called "Korg M3 Sound Files" where you can actually download files or create posts. Just saying if you could structure a subforum within the subforums, it might be easier to find stuff. It could look something like this:

HD-1 Synths - KRONOS and OASYS
> KRONOS
> OASYS

EDS Synths - M3, M50, Microstation, and PS60
> M3
> M50
> Microstation
> PS60

HI/ACCESS Synths - all Triton and Trinity series synths
> TRITON Classic, Rack, Studio, Extreme,
> TRITON Le, TR, MicroX, KARMA Workstation
> TRINITY, TRINITY Rack

AI2 Synths - M1, M3R T1, T2, T3, 01/W, Wavestation, 03R/W, 05R/W, X2, X3, X5, N1, N264, N364, N5
(all on one page)

Viritual Analog
> MOSS
> RADIAS
> Z1/Prophecy
> MicroKorg
> R3
> (etc)

Classic Korgs - Trident, Poly 800, MonoPoly, etc.
(all on one page)

Cause i agree, there are a lot! Giving myself a headache now... but just some ideas i had if anyone's interested. Good luck.
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinosaurs..... Very Happy

p.s. might be dengerous for penguins...
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
HD-1 Synths - KRONOS and OASYS
> KRONOS
> OASYS

EDS Synths - M3, M50, Microstation, and PS60
> M3
> M50
> Microstation
> PS60

HI/ACCESS Synths - all Triton and Trinity series synths
> TRITON Classic, Rack, Studio, Extreme,
> TRITON Le, TR, MicroX, KARMA Workstation
> TRINITY, TRINITY Rack

AI2 Synths - M1, M3R T1, T2, T3, 01/W, Wavestation, 03R/W, 05R/W, X2, X3, X5, N1, N264, N364, N5
(all on one page)

Viritual Analog
> MOSS
> RADIAS
> Z1/Prophecy
> MicroKorg
> R3
> (etc)

Classic Korgs - Trident, Poly 800, MonoPoly, etc.
(all on one page)

Pretty much the thing I was thinking about. Thanks for nailing it Gargamel314!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 - have to say that grouping makes a lot of sense!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that to call MOSS, Radias, R3 etc 'virtual analog' is so limiting. 'analog' is but a subset of what they can do. The only ones that are really 'virtual analog' are the MS2000 and original MicroKorg.

I find it works quite well though to separate 'workstations' from 'synthesizers'. add 'arrangers' and 'grooveboxes' too. I'm not quite sure how that difference is quantified but every instrument only falls into one of those categories.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Good point about the arrangers and groovebox thingies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: