Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos in a MONO setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I'm saying it can in many situation create more of a clutter in the mix and make the whole band sound less good than it could.

Wow, I have found this to be the opposite. If you listen to a stereo image of the sounds we have, many modulation effects sound way more clear and less cluttered (for use of the term). Of course everyone hears everything differently so I could be totally wrong, but from what I have heard others on stage and people that play my keyboards and from others that have gone stereo, there's nothing like it.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the mixing point of view, you're really only complicating things. That's not to say that stereo is never nice, or good, or even better - certain fx (like a leslie) tend to sound horrible in mono. But when dealing with a full band and you in the frequency spectrum of the guitar player, bass player and vocals, you going stereo doesn't necessarily help. It might make the keyboards sound bigger, but also make them harder to bring under control and mix with the rest of the band.

EDIT:
Again, by the way, I agree when playing by myself stereo is much nicer, and sounds more "open", especially a stereo reverb does a lot for the image even if the sample is mono. But I've also sat in the studio mixing demos or tracks realizing that the stereo keyboards are just not helpful - that within the context of the whole band, all they do is muddle the sound.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
To be clear, I'm not saying that stereo doesn't sound better for the one playing the instrument. I'm saying it can in many situation create more of a clutter in the mix and make the whole band sound less good than it could.

Understood. You make a great point. I would add that even playing mono, it's possible for a keyboard player to muddy up a mix if he doesn't know when to hold back.

And to be clear, I'm referring more to playing as a "one-man-band."
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
But I've also sat in the studio mixing demos or tracks realizing that the stereo keyboards are just not helpful - that within the context of the whole band, all they do is muddle the sound.

I think that's an over generalization. I think it's possible to use a stereo keyboard in a band mix and have it enhance the mix. But, it depends on style and who's playing what...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that playing in stereo CAN more easily mud up a mix than in MONO.

However, I think the aspect to stay out of frequency ranges of other instruments is far more important (of course not 100% possible), but:
- don't play too low to stay out of the bass guitarist frequency range
- when the guitarist plays a (high) solo, don't use too high frequencies

And of course too many notes if the arrangement is busy, but of course everybody knows this Smile

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
But I've also sat in the studio mixing demos or tracks realizing that the stereo keyboards are just not helpful - that within the context of the whole band, all they do is muddle the sound.

I think that's an over generalization. I think it's possible to use a stereo keyboard in a band mix and have it enhance the mix. But, it depends on style and who's playing what...

I tend to really dislike over generalizations (oh, the irony), so I'm sorry if this came off as one. I didn't. Mean it to be truth in all cases. I'm just agitating against the idea that stereo is always better because it sounds bigger. Everything has its application and as you said; it really depends on who's playing what.
I also agree with Michel Keijzers that the frequency range is more important, but I'll add that if you have stereo keyboards, you'll have TWO channels producing possibly conflicting frequencies, and somehow it's always harder for me to filter that properly than a mono channel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: