Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first impressions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinoria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: My first impressions Reply with quote

Finally after all this time I had the chance to sit down with a Korg Kronos 88.

I must say the pianos are really great, both acoustic and electric pianos are really good.

I recently bought a Kurzweil PC3X and comparing with that I must say Kronos pianos are rellay good, at least on their own.
About the electric pianos I belive they are slightly better on the Kronos but the Kurzweil is also good.

About the orchestral sounds I know Kurzweil are the kings but I really think the Kronos orchestral sounds had some strengths as well and the could complement eachother really well.

The disappointment was the CX3 as I had expected after hearing demos. I don't want a CX3-clone. I want a hammond clone and those organ sounds are typical korg. To much low frequencies and to much high frequencies in the sound spectra and the leslie wasn't that good either.
I also have a Nord Electro 3 and that keyboard rules when it comes to hammond sounds but also the Kurzweil with the new leslie in OS 2.03 is better than the kronos.

In the synth section I didn't have all the time I wanted but I think the character of the synth sounds are very much like the Korg M3. The M3 is missing some of the cool FM sounds the Kronos had but for classic analog sounds I think the M3 compares well to the Kronos....

So.... will I buy a Kronos?
Probably not. I guess I wait a year or so and see if I can get a used one or maybe Kurzweil or Yamaha is releasing some new workstation before next summer.
A really nice workstation it is but it doesn't replace all my other keyboards (not yet anyway).
Maybe there will be more engines or improvements that will change my mind but I don't want to put to much trust in Korg after disappointments with my M3 ownership.
Novation Ultranova, Korg M3 73, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Korg Poly 800 MK2, Korg Kaossilator, Korg Trident MK1, Nord Electro 3, Kurzweil PC3X, Kurzweil K2500X, Virus TI 61 , Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000, Kurzweil K2500R, Yamaha SK20, Hammond C3+ Leslie R22, PC running Brainspawn Forte with EMU Soundcard + IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.0 + Sonik Synth + Miroslav Philharmonik, Logic Mainstage Smile
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. It is clear that such a first test can only give first impressions. Add that the Kronos sound engines offer much more than is obvious from the factory presets, and your judgement would probably vary after using the kronos for a while.

One correction:
The M3 has none of the three Kronos VA synth engines and can't compare at all here.

Concerning EP sounds I would disagree as much as concerning the CX3.

- the EPs play in a completely other league than the Kurweils, which can't even remotely compare, especially if you program your own EP sounds on the Kronos. The Kurzweil EPs are well programmed tiny 80s/90s loops, and sound like a lofi version of real EPs in comparison.

- a well programmed CX3 (not using the bad internal CX3 overdrive/leslie but one from the Kronos effect section, like the one here form dg-keyes: http://korgpatches.com/patches/kronos/dg-keys_b3_organ) smokes the Kurzweil B3 clone anytime as well from my view, even after the Kurz update. The Nord B3s still sound better, but the Kurz certainly is no challenge, sounding especially lame in the upper range.

Just my two cents.
spinoria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that you need more time to evaluate a workstation like the Kronos and it's possible that misjudged the electric pianos.

Also the different synth engines need more time to evaluate and to experiment, but I'm still disappointed with the CX3.
That patch you sent with the Perfect stranger intro is just what I'm talking about. Even if it's tweaked the sound screams "KOOOOOORRRGGGRRRR".
No way near the Nord Electro 3.
If it's better or worse than the Kurzweil I can agree that opinions can vary.

I hope there will be more improvements of the CX3 engine or maybe a new Hammond engine.
That could be what is making me buying a Kronos.
Anyway I hope I will get a chance to try it more later on.
Novation Ultranova, Korg M3 73, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Korg Poly 800 MK2, Korg Kaossilator, Korg Trident MK1, Nord Electro 3, Kurzweil PC3X, Kurzweil K2500X, Virus TI 61 , Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000, Kurzweil K2500R, Yamaha SK20, Hammond C3+ Leslie R22, PC running Brainspawn Forte with EMU Soundcard + IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.0 + Sonik Synth + Miroslav Philharmonik, Logic Mainstage Smile
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

One correction:
The M3 has none of the three Kronos VA synth engines and can't compare at all here.

I don't think he said that the m3 had any of the 3 Kronos VA engines. He just said the character is very much like the korg m3.

I have to agree. I own a Kronos and I don't hear anything in the VA section that probably could not be made using the m3... especially if you have a radias EXB installed....

at least for the most part. a good programmer could get real close, if not spot on.

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
mchimowycz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: CX3 Reply with quote

I too must agree about the quality of the CX3 sounds. At present I am still using my Nord Electro3 for B3 Hammond sounds. Im sure there are tones of that quality somewhere in the CX3 but I cant find them and end up with distorted, overdriven sounds each time. However, cant fault the other engines in the Kronos - superb!!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CX3 Reply with quote

mchimowycz wrote:
I too must agree about the quality of the CX3 sounds. At present I am still using my Nord Electro3 for B3 Hammond sounds. Im sure there are tones of that quality somewhere in the CX3 but I cant find them and end up with distorted, overdriven sounds each time. However, cant fault the other engines in the Kronos - superb!!

I haven't played in a rehearsal or gig yet with the CX3 engine (thus Kronos at all), but so far the CX3 sounds better than the sampled M50 (equal as M3) ones.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. It is clear that such a first test can only give first impressions. Add that the Kronos sound engines offer much more than is obvious from the factory presets, and your judgement would probably vary after using the kronos for a while.

One correction:

Concerning EP sounds I would disagree as much as concerning the CX3.

- the EPs play in a completely other league than the Kurweils, which can't even remotely compare, especially if you program your own EP sounds on the Kronos. The Kurzweil EPs are well programmed tiny 80s/90s loops, and sound like a lofi version of real EPs in comparison.

- a well programmed CX3 (not using the bad internal CX3 overdrive/leslie but one from the Kronos effect section, like the one here form dg-keyes: http://korgpatches.com/patches/kronos/dg-keys_b3_organ) smokes the Kurzweil B3 clone anytime as well from my view, even after the Kurz update. The Nord B3s still sound better, but the Kurz certainly is no challenge, sounding especially lame in the upper range.

Just my two cents.

+1 to that (so we up to 3 cents now?)

CX3 engine is one that I think needs the most tweaking to sound great. Luckily some great people out there who have been putting together spreadsheets and more for the rest of us to use!
Fred S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the Nord is very popular for Hammond sounds, but I don't get it. Whenever I hear the Nord, I immediately know its a Nord. If it's that good, I would be wondering whether it's a Nord or a real Hammond. Not saying it doesn't sound good, it does. Just not that authentic IMO. Regarding the Kronos, I don't hear the CX-3 sounding any further from authentic than the Nord. For my money, the XK-1/3 is the closest emulation to the real thing, and the CX-3 will do in a pinch. That said I am surprised the Kronos Leslie emulation isn't better.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've been trying to tweak the CX3 too. It sounds great for the jazz stuff, but so far falls a touch short for the rock stuff. I'm going to try those DG organs, and see if they get me closer. Are there any practical application guides besides the manual?

I wish there was a way to send the CX-3 through the amp models of the MDS! The distortion model on the Electric Pianos is great!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like my Nord Stage's organ, though the overdriven leslie sound it gets is pretty strong. I suppose it's ok for smearing type sounds. It just never really seems to cut through the mix. Unlike my older XB1 which cuts through anything but sadly has a really crappy leslie sim. I have good hopes for the CX3, but if the leslie doesn't cut it there's always the Ventilator.
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred S wrote:
Whenever I hear the Nord, I immediately know its a Nord.

I definitely agree with this as well. I can pretty much instantly point out the Nord sound.

To be honest, it has been quite a while since I've heard a real Hammond B3/leslie comp on stage...so my ability to distinguish which sounds "more like the real thing" has been severely reduced. The question for me is becomming much more "which sound do I like" (without comparison to the real thing).

I was not a fan of the XK (used it a few times), nor of any roland organs. I do like the Nord and the CX3...but can definitely hear the difference pretty immediately between the 2 of them.

I think these days more and more people are basing their opinions off of which sound they prefer - and not "which sounds more like the B3", but that could just be me.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinoria wrote:
Also the different synth engines need more time to evaluate and to experiment, but I'm still disappointed with the CX3.
That patch you sent with the Perfect stranger intro is just what I'm talking about. Even if it's tweaked the sound screams "KOOOOOORRRGGGRRRR".

I agree with this sentiment. KB3 on PC3 is way better than CX3 on Kronos in my book.
Fred S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkFloydDudi wrote:
Fred S wrote:
Whenever I hear the Nord, I immediately know its a Nord.

I definitely agree with this as well. I can pretty much instantly point out the Nord sound.

To be honest, it has been quite a while since I've heard a real Hammond B3/leslie comp on stage...so my ability to distinguish which sounds "more like the real thing" has been severely reduced. The question for me is becomming much more "which sound do I like" (without comparison to the real thing).

I was not a fan of the XK (used it a few times), nor of any roland organs. I do like the Nord and the CX3...but can definitely hear the difference pretty immediately between the 2 of them.

I think these days more and more people are basing their opinions off of which sound they prefer - and not "which sounds more like the B3", but that could just be me.

Good point. It's mostly all about personal preference. I spent so much time playing the real thing, that sound is my preference. Same with acoustic piano, e-piano, analog synth emulations, etc., I'm always looking for what sounds closest to the real thing. For me, the Nord organ has it's own great sound more than it is a true Hammond emulation. Sans carrying those original monsters around, we compromise to what sounds best to us.
spalding12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to read the comparison threads, of course
opinions will always vary
i hope that he will give KRONOS another chance at some time in the future
thanks for the thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: