Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG KRONOS – OS. 1.5.0 ------- PROCEDURE (QUICK and GOOD)!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bdeon28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I followed the instructions to a "T". Read all the posts available about the upgrade and tried it myself about 20 minutes ago. Everything went exactly like everyone has been saying and the instructions said. I got the message that the update was successful and to reboot. I shut off the Kronos, took out the USB stick, waited about 5 minutes and turned it on. It started normal (red line moving from left to right) and when the line got to about the "S" under the word music an error message popped up...

"SYSTEM STARTUP FAILED
Please disconnect any USB devices and restart"

Well there was no USB device so I shut it off and tried again, same error. Then I put the USB stick back in and rebooted, same message. Then I shut it off removed the USB stick and turned it on and got the same message. This is not the first OS update I have done on a keyboard i have done Nord's and Kurzweil's and most were way more complex but way more successful! Any ideas would be welcome!!! Thanks!

OK so I am starting to get a little frustrated now. I went out and bought a USB DVD reader/writer. Connected it to the Kronos with Disc 1 in it booted the Kronos, it restored 1.04 and in about a minute I was playing the keyboard again. I then did the install to 1.5 it said it worked succesfully, I shut it off, waited and then I get the same error...startup failed. I checked the USB drive and it was FAT not FAT32 (my fault) I re-formatted it and loaded the files again. So I can try it with the correctly formatted USB drive. The problem now is when i connected the DVD drive to the Kronos it doesn't recognize it now and I keep getting the system startup failed. So now I can't even get it to boot. Any ideas on how to fix this??? Thanks!
Fred S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAT32 format? I'm not familiar with it. Where's the format utility located?
AlchemistMusicStudio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred S wrote:

Follow me:

- Go to DISK mode
- Use 'Drive Select' to select the media that will be formatted (USB Stick, ect.)
- Press The UTILITY Button
- Go to Page Menu Commands and Select 'Format' to open the dialog box:
• Volume Label - use the text edit button to access the text input dialog box, and specify the volume label
• Specify the format: Quick Format, FAT32
- press the OK button

Right?
Smile

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlchemistMusicStudio
http://www.myspace.com/remiplanet
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
kid_nepro_2002 wrote:
It seems that some people (myself included) have to run the update twice in order for everything to work.

So I would just add…..

12- When powering up look for the OS version in the display. If your still running 1.0.4 then repeat steps 4-11.

13- Enjoy! Cool

Yes, i had to run it twice too. When this files are put on the USB Stick and
then the update ran on the synth, from this 4 files:
- KRONOS_Update1_5_0.taz.gz (ZIP)
- install.info
- posttar.sh
- pretar.sh
on the USB Stick you get 5 files:
- KRONOS_Update1_5_0.taz.gz (ZIP)
- install.info
- posttar.sh
- pretar.sh
- mnt

Then you have to rerun the update and then it will work.

The "mnt" directory is included in the zip file. If the entire contents of the folder are not copied (as described in the instructions), then yes, it won't work the first time! But, the system will create it, as a fallback procedure, and then it will work the next time that you try.

- Dan

Hi Dan,

I just had another look and it turns out that I did copy the "mnt" directory. The only thing that I did not copy was the manuel folder.

Any ideas?

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Nepro, I did have to reformat my flash drive. If it were me, I would go through the steps that Alchemist suggested about the quick fat32 format first and then make sure you have the correct lineup. Which, it seems, is that you have the 5 files now. It might be best to clear your flash drive and do the fat 32, then load the files from your computer onto your flash drive.

As you are a software guru, you know with computers, sometimes you have to start absolutely from scratch and verify each step. Best of luck, I heartily dislike computer problems. Smile
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyC wrote:
Kid Nepro, I did have to reformat my flash drive. If it were me, I would go through the steps that Alchemist suggested about the quick fat32 format first and then make sure you have the correct lineup.

Hi Denny,

Everything worked OK. I just had to run the update twice. Since everything is working now, I'm not going to mess around with it. Just wondering why I had to run the update twice in order for it to work. I don't think the problem has to do with my USB stick since everything that I've done with it has worked without any problems.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kid_nepro_2002 wrote:
DennyC wrote:
Kid Nepro, I did have to reformat my flash drive. If it were me, I would go through the steps that Alchemist suggested about the quick fat32 format first and then make sure you have the correct lineup.

Hi Denny,

Everything worked OK. I just had to run the update twice. Since everything is working now, I'm not going to mess around with it. Just wondering why I had to run the update twice in order for it to work. I don't think the problem has to do with my USB stick since everything that I've done with it has worked without any problems.

Probably by not copying the (empty) mnt directory.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kid_nepro_2002 wrote:

Hi Dan,

I just had another look and it turns out that I did copy the "mnt" directory. The only thing that I did not copy was the manuel folder.

Any ideas?

Hi Michel,

I guess you missed my other post! Cool

Fred S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlchemistMusicStudio wrote:
Fred S wrote:

Follow me:

- Go to DISK mode
- Use 'Drive Select' to select the media that will be formatted (USB Stick, ect.)
- Press The UTILITY Button
- Go to Page Menu Commands and Select 'Format' to open the dialog box:
• Volume Label - use the text edit button to access the text input dialog box, and specify the volume label
• Specify the format: Quick Format, FAT32
- press the OK button

Right?
Smile

TY!
Bdeon28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
I followed the instructions to a "T". Read all the posts available about the upgrade and tried it myself about 20 minutes ago. Everything went exactly like everyone has been saying and the instructions said. I got the message that the update was successful and to reboot. I shut off the Kronos, took out the USB stick, waited about 5 minutes and turned it on. It started normal (red line moving from left to right) and when the line got to about the "S" under the word music an error message popped up...

"SYSTEM STARTUP FAILED
Please disconnect any USB devices and restart"

Well there was no USB device so I shut it off and tried again, same error. Then I put the USB stick back in and rebooted, same message. Then I shut it off removed the USB stick and turned it on and got the same message. This is not the first OS update I have done on a keyboard i have done Nord's and Kurzweil's and most were way more complex but way more successful! Any ideas would be welcome!!! Thanks!

OK so I am starting to get a little frustrated now. I went out and bought a USB DVD reader/writer. Connected it to the Kronos with Disc 1 in it booted the Kronos, it restored 1.04 and in about a minute I was playing the keyboard again. I then did the install to 1.5 it said it worked succesfully, I shut it off, waited and then I get the same error...startup failed. I checked the USB drive and it was FAT not FAT32 (my fault) I re-formatted it and loaded the files again. So I can try it with the correctly formatted USB drive. The problem now is when i connected the DVD drive to the Kronos it doesn't recognize it now and I keep getting the system startup failed. So now I can't even get it to boot. Any ideas on how to fix this??? Thanks!

OK so even stranger things are happening now. The next morning I turned on the Kronos with the DVD drive connected. It booted up with version 1.5 I looked under the Global setting and saw that it was version 1.5 went to the programs and saw AA through... And figured I was all set. I disconnected the DVD drive shut it off, waited at least 10 seconds and turned it back on. Got the error message that Startup failed again and I haven't been able to get it to boot up again. So now it is a very large expensive paper weight! Is there anyone that can help me or that has any ideas? Tech Support is only open Monday through Friday and if I have to I will wait to call them but this is starting to get scary when I think of gigging with this. I sold a bunch of keyboards to get one I really liked that could do everything the others did and I have not had one issue until now but well it's scary to think what could happen. Nothing like this has ever happened to any keyboard i have had in the past 30 years. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
AlchemistMusicStudio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bdeon28 wrote:
OK so even stranger things are happening now. The next morning I turned on the Kronos with the DVD drive connected. It booted up with version 1.5 I looked under the Global setting and saw that it was version 1.5 went to the programs and saw AA through... And figured I was all set. I disconnected the DVD drive shut it off, waited at least 10 seconds and turned it back on. Got the error message that Startup failed again and I haven't been able to get it to boot up again.

Maybe re-installing the system from the DVDs? Using the "Full Install" option.

Remember: If for some reason the KRONOS will no longer start up normally, try this option first. It does the following:
--- Restores the system software on the internal hard drive
--- Initializes the internal memory, and re‐loads the original factory preload data–including all Programs, Combinations, Drum Kits, Wave Sequences, and Global settings
--- Erases all files inside the internal hard drive’s FACTORY directory, and then restores the factory preload files, including the PRELOAD.PCG file and the demo sequences (leaves all other data on the disk intact)

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlchemistMusicStudio
http://www.myspace.com/remiplanet
Bdeon28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply I will try to do that when I get home from work today. After the problem occurred Friday night and I couldn't get it to boot or find the DVD ROM on bootup the weird thing was Saturday morning it booted up fine, everything worked but when I shut it off I couldn't get it to boot again...same error. I left it again. Sunday morning I tried again and it booted up no problem and worked fine. It is showing 1.5 for the OS so I ran the update again with a properly formatted FAT32 USB stick and the correct files as I heard some people had to run it twice. I shut it off and got the error message again and could not get it to boot. So it "seems" that it only works once a day! So when I boot it up today whatever I do to it I have one shot or will have to wait until the next day. I have worked in PC and Telecom tech support for over 15 years and I have never seen a stranger issue!!! I will try the Full Install option when I boot it up today and see if I can get it back to it's pre-Friday state and can boot multiple times without issue. I will contact tech support for Korg in either case and won't try the upgrade again until they have identified the issue and have a fix.

What scares me to death is that I bought this to use as my one and only keyboard to take on gigs. Just thte thought of seeing that error message at a gig keeps me up at night and scares me to death!!! Wink

Thanks again for the suggestion!
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kid_nepro_2002 wrote:

Hi Dan,

Any ideas?

As discussed in PMs, the mnt directory will be created on the first try if it's not already present. This is the reason for having to do the install command a second time. So, if you look at the USB stick after trying the install, the mnt folder will now be there.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
kid_nepro_2002 wrote:

Hi Dan,

Any ideas?

As discussed in PMs, the mnt directory will be created on the first try if it's not already present. This is the reason for having to do the install command a second time. So, if you look at the USB stick after trying the install, the mnt folder will now be there.

Therefor my advice: next time put a dummy file in the mnt directory, because people may think an empty directory is not important.

Or even better: create the empty dir if not already present.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
kid_nepro_2002 wrote:

Hi Dan,

Any ideas?

Therefor my advice: next time put a dummy file in the mnt directory, because people may think an empty directory is not important.

Or even better: create the empty dir if not already present.

This won't be a problem in future installers, but we can't do anything to change the install process in the older software. As noted, it does create the empty directory if not already present.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: