Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos RAM Installation Procedure
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos RAM Installation Procedure Reply with quote

Note:
*** Korg states RAM should be installed by a Korg Authorized Service Center ***
*** Installing RAM yourself MAY void your Korg Warranty ***

My other related thread -- Selecting Correct RAM for Korg Kronos Upgrade
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67647

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE (30 minutes)
This describes the procedure on a Kronos 88. The 73 and 61 key models should be similar.

Tools required: Phillips Head screwdriver, RAM, pillows

STEP 00.
While the keyboard is still upright, insert the three cardboard spacers between the front keyboard and the edge of the case. These threee spacers were in place when the Kronos was originally shipped (see Photos below). You may have to tape them so they stay in place. These spacers will make sure the keybed does not shift forward during the RAM installation. The keybed shifting forward (against the metal case) can make some keys stick, so inserting these spacers is important.

Here is a thread about why maintaining sufficient space between the keybed and front metal frame is important:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64931

STEP 01.
Flip the Kronos 88 upside down on a soft surface (like a bed or couch) and support each end with pillows. Make sure the two joysticks are protected from damage (see Photo 1).

STEP 02.
There are a large number of screws on the bottom of the Kronos. The screws around the edges attach the bottom particle board base to the frame of the Kronos. Note the row of six screws that run down the middle (see Photo 2); these screws attach the keybed inside to the particle board base.

STEP 03.
Remove all of the screws (25 of them) on the back of the Kronos 88 EXCEPT the screws holding the rubber feet. Keep all of the screws organized so you can later put them back in the correct original holes. Once the screws are removed, grab onto two of the still-attached rubber feet to lift out the particle board from the Kronos frame. Photo 3 shows the Kronos 88 after the screws have been removed and the particle board base has been removed. Note the location of the Motherboard RAM. Also note the silver metal keybed rail. The middle row of screws in Photo 2 are secured through this silver metal keybed rail, and this is how the keybed mechanism is secured so it does not move.

STEP 04.
Photo 4 shows my arrangement of the screws on a table so I can later put each screw back in its original location.

STEP 05.
Install the RAM on the motherboard (see Photo 5). Each RAM slot has two white security latches that hold the RAM in place. Push each latch down to allow space for the RAM stick to be inserted. When the RAM stick is inserted properly (press down), each latch will snap back in place. This process is identical to installing RAM on any computer (or RAM in a Triton or OASYS).

STEP 06.
Photo 6 shows the two RAM sticks after they have been installed. You can also see one of the white security tabs which secure the RAM.

STEP 07.
Place the particle board bottom back on top of the Kronos. LOOK DOWN THROUGH the particle board to make sure you can see the holes are lined up. Make sure the keybed rail is lined up.

STEP 08.
Put all 25 screws back in place. If everything is lined up, the screws should go back fairly easily. Start with the six middle keybed rail screws, making sure they attach to the silver keybed rail underneath. Then put all of the remaining screws back in place.

STEP 09.
You are done. Flip the Kronos back over, power it up and test.

FINAL NOTE:
You can see larger versions of these photos on my Flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58215417@N04/sets/72157628268789865/show/

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/

Last edited by MartinHines on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 31 times in total
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Martin, well done and very clear instructions of the process.
It seems you placed 2 2g sticks in. Does Kronos show 3+ or 4G?
That's what I was confused about. Whether to add a 1G stick or 2 matching 2G sticks.

The install seems pretty straight forward.
I know the ram is for your additional samples, but have you noticed, if any, improvement with GUI performance?
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Thanks for posting Martin, well done and very clear instructions of the process.
It seems you placed 2 2g sticks in. Does Kronos show 3+ or 4G?
That's what I was confused about. Whether to add a 1G stick or 2 matching 2G sticks.

The install seems pretty straight forward.
I know the ram is for your additional samples, but have you noticed, if any, improvement with GUI performance?

I installed a total of 4GB, but the Kronos OS only shows 3.25GB. I am not sure whether I can use that extra 0.25GB or not.

Korg suggests you add a 1 GB stick to the second slot.

I used a matched pair of RAM sticks but I suspect that was not necessary.

I haven't seen any GUI performance improvement, and I don't really expect to.

My primary motivation for adding more RAM was (1) to be able to load more of my own samples and (2) EXs11,12, & 13 (none of these have been released yet) require the additional 1 GB of RAM.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's probably no problem in adding the 4G, it seems many users here have done so and I've read no complaints at all.
I don't work with samples that much, but the EXs will certainly be of interest once they are released.

Were you a little concerned that the key bed was just hanging there while you were installing? ..
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Were you a little concerned that the key bed was just hanging there while you were installing? ..

I didn't really even think about that. It did not appear to be able to move vertically but you can slide it back and forth (from front to back).

If one was concerned about it you could add another pillow under the center of the board.

I assume the two pillows at each end also helped support each end of the keybed.

Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll be doing the install myself.
I did it with the Oasys and being I have the 61, I don't foresee any difficulty at all. Very Happy
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

Good lad, thanks for that, its straight forward...i wonder if this thread needs to be a sticky....we're getting a lot of sticky's at the top of the list Smile

Just one question if you ahve time to answer pls, how do you grab the underside board and pull it up and out, i take it, it is indented, did you grab the rubber legs and pull up in one swift pull?

Regards
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Lou wrote:

I didn't really even think about that. It did not appear to be able to move vertically but you can slide it back and forth (from front to back).

Thanks for those helpful uploads, Martin.

I still cannot understand why Korg chose NOT to bolt the keybed to the chassis Shame on you (or should I say: I'm afraid to understand they have gone too far as to cost cuts?)
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics ... I assume it will be similar for a 61 key version? (except for possibly less screws).

Also my synth has one key that does not go up as fast as the others so I want also to check for something there (almost the middle D key).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mercede1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Thank You for all this nice Tutorial!!!!
Can you please tell(if you didn't already and i missed it) the exact Brand of Ram you used,if is somewhere online? Cool
KORG I30
KORG PA800 (Past)
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installation procedure for the K61 is the same, with the benefit that all the screws are the same size.

I've still got the 2 x 2gb Dimms I originally put in... no ill effects with OS 1.5, so I don't think there's any point in "downgrading" to 3gb.

KSC Autoload never worked for me on 1.0.4 (other than the factory set), 1.5 fixes this and I can now Autoload Assault and my own sample set.

Smile
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
Hi Martin,

Just one question if you ahve time to answer pls, how do you grab the underside board and pull it up and out, i take it, it is indented, did you grab the rubber legs and pull up in one swift pull?

Regards
Billy

I was able to lift the particle board by grabbing onto two of the rubber feet and pulling up slowly. Once the board starts to lift out you can grab it better.

** I added this to my first post. Thanks. **

mercede1 wrote:
Can you please tell(if you didn't already and i missed it) the exact Brand of Ram you used,if is somewhere online? Cool

I created another topic about
"Selecting Correct RAM for Korg Kronos Upgrade"
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67647

DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Martin. I'm getting very tempted to do it. It looks like Korg could've easily cut out a slot a little larger than the size of of the ram area, put a plastic insert/cover with a couple of screws that would give one easy access to that area for memory expansion. That could've been a cool thing.
Smile
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really wise for 88 and 73 owners to do this before Korg announces the cause of the note cutoff issue? Imagine developing the note cutoff issue after installing your own RAM. I suppose you could reverse the install before bringing it in, but I would hate to be in a situation where I'm debating Magnuson-moss with Korg.
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only reason why I"m hesitating. Martin's instructions were so good, they could be the official technical bulletin. However, I am just starting to really get inside some of the more complex sequencing and I'm a little concerned that there could be some hardware failures or malfunctions down the road. I will certainly find out the true reliability as I put more heavy hours on this great instrument.

For me, there is a hugh value having the 2 year warranty, which gives piece of mind about this board. FWIW, this upgrade is a piece of cake. But...the risk of voiding the warranty is lingering in the back of my head. I am going to price out what my local guy will charge for the install. If it is minimal, I will probably go that direction. If not, I could be doing a downgrade as well as the upgrade if I have problems that require me to have to bring it in for service. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: