Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok - NOW, I'm REALLY ANGRY!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamsire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Ok - NOW, I'm REALLY ANGRY! Reply with quote

Ok - I turn on the KRONOS, everything starts up, SET LIST shows up. I go answer the phone, come back, KRONOS has re-started on its own - with a SYSTEM STARTUP FAILURE message. Mad

H*** NOOO!!! This never happened before OS 1.5 and I WANT ANSWERS. I don't want to hear that I have to take it in for >>service<< because there is an intermittent hardware problem - when there never was one before the update. All of the USB devices are out and it still doesn't start - for a half an hour - like 6-8 tries.

Someone from Korg needs to speak on this without passing the buck.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you call Korg support?
Night Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad I have never once updated the board still on 1.0.7
jamsire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:

Well, since it happened on a Friday evening at 9:45pm - No.

Korg, seriously, what if I was a giggling musician???? What if I was getting ready to play on stage? What if I were a studio owner with a client in the room - on a Friday evening at 9:45pm??
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Spirit wrote:
glad I have never once updated the board still on 1.0.7

It happened 'only' once (but one time too many for such a serious error). However to say it is because of OS1.5 is quite a statement.

I never hope to get into such situation since I have gigs (well not many, but there will be). Also while rehearsing it is not fun if I couldn't get it started again.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jamsire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, I am supposed to go out and buy a USB DVD drive (more money) because the programmers can't send signals or messages over the existing USB cable connection that came with the unit (like my RADIAS!).

Please tell me where I can go buy this unit, this time of night - on a Friday night, in a small borough of NYC? I'll tell you instead - NOWHERE!

Can't get over the oversight on this. Now, I'm supposed to take off of work and "get it serviced" as well?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a boot possibility by USB stick ... that would save Korg and especially owners a lot of trouble in such cases. The stick could format the SSD and copy the most basic software on it. Or even the complete SSD (which is about 15 GB or so?) I don't think people would mind buying a 16GB USB stick for about $10-$20 for such occasions.

If in this way the system can be brought back within 10 mins it would be nice (of course the harddisk will be as factory later on but I guess everybody keeps a backup of important files on another harddisk/stick anyway).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jamsire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely disappointed FINALLY.

I've read other users gripes and felt lucky - until tonight. The worst failure in hardware I've ever experienced - and I'm normally a patient person.

The system fan starts, and just - STOPS.

This is just inexcusable.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry man about your Kronos.

If it makes you feel any better, ALL keyboards by ALL manufacturers have system failures to some degree. This isn't Kronos specific. I'm curious what caused it however. Like the OASYS, you're supposed to be able to build the OS from scratch with the system DVD. Have you tried that?
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale what are you smoking?

Wow...Jamsire, I think you are the 3rd or 4th person to report the same kind of problem after 1.5 was downloaded/.... Apex and Devix also had same problem..see thread below.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67844&sid=4afbd1efe912425e7f29434ef120e9b9

Add a few more..Here is another thread with 3 more people.. same problem.??

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67751&sid=4afbd1efe912425e7f29434ef120e9b9
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What if I was getting ready to play on stage?

I would be frustrated, but come on... by those comments you make it seem like you haven't been playing live long. I have had the same thing happen on important gigs. OF COURSE I was mad. I called and got another keyboard brought to me. I finished the gig and was not happy.

But what can we do? In the end, either return or call support. I guess you want Dan or Jerry or Rich to fix the problem on this forum - or to apologize. Maybe that will make you feel better, but in the end you probably still have to contact support.

If you're asking for sympathy, you've got it. I went through a similar thing, but much worse on the gig.

Then there was the time when every keyboard was wildly out of tune and the only one in tune was my DX7! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I WANT ANSWERS. I don't want to hear that I have to take it in for >>service<< because there is an intermittent hardware problem - when there never was one before the update.

The answers are that:

It's not intermittent because it happens all the time to the keyboard that cannot start up.
Hopefully it's a bad system which can be overwritten with the proper software
It could be a nasty bug in the 1.5 OS that somehow crashes the machine rendering it incapable of starting up. (very bad).
This is a bummer and hopefully it doesn't happen to everyone.
[/code]

Last edited by aron on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamsire wrote:
aron wrote:

Korg, seriously, what if I was a giggling musician???? What if I was getting ready to play on stage? What if I were a studio owner with a client in the room - on a Friday evening at 9:45pm??

Try the 24 hr walmart.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
McHale what are you smoking?

I'm sorry. I thought repair shops existed because equipment fails... sometimes even when it's relatively new. In fact, cars, furnaces, exercise equipment, etc. also suffer this strange phenomenon as well.

Is the Korg Kronos the first keyboard in existence to have a system failure?
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
jamsire wrote:
aron wrote:

Try the 24 hr walmart.

*OR*

Do what other gigging musicians do and have a backup. As a gigging musician, it's pretty important to ALWAYS have a backup. You owe it to your audience.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your trouble, Jamsire. It's probably good to keep your nerves and get things sorted. But something like that should definitely not happen unless in very rare cases. I also would be really shocked to see that happen.

What confuses me is that we indeed had more than one report of that kind, while again by far most of us don't seem to see anything like that. If it had to do something with OS 1.5, wouldn't we all or at least many experience a similar thing?

The first explanation that comes to my mind is that maybe something is not read correctly from the SSD. SSDs are loosing (few) sectors in the course of time, and if the SSD-management of the SSD brand is not working 100% correct to manage that (normally modern SSDs work without such failures), this might be an explanation for various kinds of intermittent trouble. This is something Korg has to sort out, because reports like these are posion for the trust into your hardware, if they occur more often than usual.

Contacting Korg support will be inevitable.

However much I dislike cheap malevolent talk, I think real problems should never be brushed under the carpet, but be faced and solved in a very straightforward way. If Korg is a company which deals with problems in a cooperative way (which is my impression so far), these problems will be solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: