Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 61 vs 73/88
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

After reading my original post what do you recomend for me?
Korg 61 (with possibility of MIDI controllers or footpedals)
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Korg 73
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 27

ilikewinning2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Kronos 61 vs 73/88 Reply with quote

Ok, so im looking at witch model of the Korg kronos i should get.

The 61-key version is smaller and doesn't have octave up/down buttons for all programs/combis. However it is much more portable. This is good for bringing it to gigs, or just to jam.

The 73 key version is bigger (better because in my free time i often play songs by Chopin or Beethoven that utilize a large portion of the keys on a standard 88 key piano). The 73-key is harder to take around and i have heard about problems with the RH3 keys.

I plan on using this keyboard at home and possibly bringing it to gigs and to school. I will also bring it to university when i go. There is also the possibility of MIDI controllers. Could i assign a octave up/down to a MIDI controller like the NANO PAD 2?

What do you recommend?
keego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just save programs in the register you want to play and toggle through them with a footpedal if you go for a 61 key. I believe there are a few issues with the weighted action keybeds.

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
ilikewinning2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keego wrote:
Just save programs in the register you want to play and toggle through them with a footpedal if you go for a 61 key. I believe there are a few issues with the weighted action keybeds.

ya i was thinking of something like that. i just need to make sure i get the right version for me, this is my first keyboard and it will need to last me a while.
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Weighted or unweighted Reply with quote

I got the 61 because of all the RH3 problems reported on this forum and because the only 88 I actually saw had uneven spacing between the keys and minor key height variations. I play a weighted keyboard 90% of the time (now) and would have probably got the Kronos88 had it not been for the problems previously noted. So for now I will keep my Triton Studio88 and use it with the Kronos 61. Also, some of the Triton sounds are not found in the Kronos - I am a player not programmer, so keeping the Triton makes even more sense. Hope this helps.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to make a recommendation. I bought my 61 in June because only Korg and God knew when the 73 and 88 were being released. I control the 61 from a Roland XV-88 for now. I DO plan on purchasing a 73 key next January; yes I love Kronos that much that I want another.

I had a chance to play a 73 in November and I experienced no problems with it. To be fair, I had only about three hours with it and not all of that time was spent on piano patches so I really cannot make an informed decision to offer advice based on a mere three hours.

I DO love the action on the 61 for synth stuff and will at times play it instead of controlling it depending upon the song. It has a ceratin action that is so hard to describe but feels so much better than any 61 key synths I have played in the last 8 years or so.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
drchris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 88 and am super happy with my decision. I'd say the best thing is to try to find somewhere close to you that has both in stock to compare the keybeds. Before buying, I went to try out the 61 and it really wasn't what I was looking for. I was at GC the other day and noticed that they had an 88 and 61 both there. I played each a minute, and I remain very satisfied with my decision.

Others need the 61 action, so if at all possible, play each for yourself.

Best wishes!
Chris
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the 73. I own 2. (one was damaged in a car accident.)

The RH3 issues are not trivial, but receive a disproportionate amount of attention on these boards. If you want to play Chopin and Beethoven, you want at least the 73, maybe even an 88. The 73, for a weighted keyboard, is not that heavy or cumbersome to move.

I found the 61 action to be subpar for an unweighted keyboard. Others disagree, so you really need to play one and decide for yourself.

In the face of RH3 issues, I would not hesitate to buy a 3rd 73. (hoping I don't need to!)
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 88 and despite a mild case of the note cut-off issue I'm very happy with the way it plays. I almost went the 61 and controller route, but I'm glad I didn't
Hopefully the fix will be in soon for the problem but it really doesn't affect me too badly - so far my K has done 30 or so gigs and a two week recording job with very few issues, so overall I'm very happy.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should depend mostly on if you like piano or synth style keys and the amount you need, secondary the weight and size.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your decision ultimately, obviously, but I have the 73. Occasional cut off note problems. It is intimitent so I think it is software based (guess). I am confident Korg will solve the issue, they have no choice.

Personally I love my 73 and I'm not a pianist. You get used to the action and I'd rather not have a secondary keyboard, just for reason of the action....... or avoiding a problem that can be solved or you may not even encounter.

IMHO Very Happy
ilikewinning2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys are saying that you think the RH3 problem isn't mechanical, and can (and will) be fixed?
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilikewinning2 wrote:
So you guys are saying that you think the RH3 problem isn't mechanical, and can (and will) be fixed?

That's my hunch because on my RH3 it's intermittent. But I've been told by technical forum members that it proves nothing. Korg will fix it anyway. It's there obligation and they have already said they would. Which seems pretty fair to me .
ilikewinning2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks. And by the way, can you connect more than one MIDI controller to the korg Kronos, or just one?
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilikewinning2 wrote:
ok, thanks. And by the way, can you connect more than one MIDI controller to the korg Kronos, or just one?

If you are just using the standard Midi connection (not USB) then you'll need a Midi merger to connect more than one controller.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kronos 61 + a Studiologic VMK 188 Plus master keyboard together cost less than a Kronos 88 (at least in Europe). And imo the action of the TP/40GH keybed of the Studiologic gives a better feel to a pianist than the action of the RH3 keybed (I have used a Studiologic SL-880 as my master controller before I used a RD-700 SX, and as a pianist I have always been satisfied with the SL).

Imo the combination of a K61 + a Studiologic VMK 188 Plus is worth considering instead of a K88...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: