Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos - Few issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phunky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Kronos - Few issues Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just bought the K88 couple of weeks ago and was extremely happy with it. It was loaded with OS 1.07 and then I upgraded the OS to v1.5

It seems like after the OS upgrade, I encounter more problem than before.

First, I was playing my K88 for couple of hours and out of nowhere, some of the e.piano and A.piano started to transposed a semitone lower. Not all of them but a selected few (which patches? I can't remember, sorry) ... I switched it off and wait for 5 minutes and switch it on again, then it's back to normal. Couple of day later when I was doing some sequencing when spent about 3 hours continuously using it, this time, the whole song in sequencer was transposed down a tone. Again, switch it off and on and it fixes itself up. It seems like this transposed thing happens when the keyboard is very hot inside (as I can hear the fan noise pretty obvious), This is very annoying as I've used the Triton EX for almost the whole night working on a song, and nothing like this has ever occurred before.

2) The keybed issue ... OK, I know there is a long post about it and I just wanted to let everyone know that I believed I had a good one. But after using it for a while, I started to realised that I have the "notes cut off" symptom sometimes which I thought probably is due to the way I played. But lately, it happens more frequently not so much of notes cut off but it sounds like a "staccato" effect especially when you press the key more higher up or inside.

And one of the notes started to have the "clicking" sound towards the higher register. I did the "pull the key" trick and it was fixed. But the clicking sound came back after a few days of playing the K88.

3) Sequencer Freeze ... This is extremely annoying! I have some midi files which play perfectly on the Triton Ex, Yamaha Tyros and Roland HP307 (directly from the USB stick) but when I load it on the K88, the whole keyboard froze up! I renamed the song o shorter name (to 6 characters), no luck. And even tried to copy it into the internal hard disk, it froze up again. I tried this on one of the K61 in a music shop, same thing happen.

And another thing is that some of the midi files managed to load into the sequencer but ended up playing rubbish! I've changed the mapping to GM2 in global mode and initialised GM in sequencer, but to no avail; while the same midi files played perfectly on the TEX. I wonder why? (p/s this sequencer loading and playback problems exist even with OS1.07)

4) I realised after the upgrade, the K88 boot up time seems to take a bit more longer than before... Any thought anyone?

Thank you,

"Ask yourself always: How can this be done better?"
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phunky,
noticed you are in melbourne too.

Re: keybed issue -
I would suggest you contact the retailer you purchased the keyboard from regarding the keybed issue. I too have this problem.

I actually called the distributor and they were initially under the impression that the keybed problem did not exist in australia until i logged the first call with them about 3 weeks ago. I told them i would wait for Korg to present thier findings before i take the keyboard back. Not sure if you are aware but Korg have stated they are aware of the keybed problem and will issue a report on it mid Dec. This is in reference to the 'note cut off' issue.

I also have a problem with a few keys clicking, it is like they have worn out prematurely. In my case i want the keybed replaced completely irrespective of the cut off note problem which might be software related...nobody is sure yet-not even korg.

What do you mean by 'pull the key trick'? I know you can grab a white or black key and pull it towards you, when you let go of the key it springs back into place...i mentioned this to Aust korg distributor and he said it should not do that. The key should not come forward at all.

Sorry, i cant comment on the o/s upgrade and all the other issues you are experiencing.

Can i ask where you purchased the K from? I got mine from Awave.

Regards
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
robkeith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine from Awave, no key sticking probs, but noticing cut off notes occassionally.

Whats the dael with the sequencer and Midi files. On the Tyros, load press play all is fantastic, sounds alocated in correct slots and so on. With the K, no exclusive allocation, have unchecked protect and so on, and cant seem to get different instruments into the right spots?? Any help
Phunky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Billy,

I bought mine from Allans Music & Billy Hyde.

I will just wait and see what Korg has to say with the faulty keybed before I call Music link. Thanks for the advice Billy. Much appreciated.

Robkeith: That is exactly what I'm experiencing with loading midi files into the sequencer at the moment. I did the 'unlocked" thing too. Still no avail.

Hope that Korg will fix this up with the next update soon.

robkeith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember with the Oasys it was just as bad. There was a number of things proceedures to go through, to load and edit a midi file, here's hoping the editor when released will have some sort of easy way to re arrange the midi files so that they assign the sysex to correct channels and instruments and so on
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos - Few issues Reply with quote

Phunky wrote:

1)... It seems like this transposed thing happens when the keyboard is very hot inside (as I can hear the fan noise pretty obvious), This is very annoying as I've used the Triton EX for almost the whole night working on a song, and nothing like this has ever occurred before.

Too hot inside even when you hear the fan working at full speed?
Well, seems an issue that worhts to be revised by a Korg technician.

Quote:

2) The keybed issue ... OK, I know there is a long post about it and I just wanted to let everyone know that I believed I had a good one. But after using it for a while, I started to realised that I have the "notes cut off" symptom sometimes which I thought probably is due to the way I played. But lately, it happens more frequently not so much of notes cut off but it sounds like a "staccato" effect especially when you press the key more higher up or inside.

And one of the notes started to have the "clicking" sound towards the higher register. I did the "pull the key" trick and it was fixed. But the clicking sound came back after a few days of playing the K88.

Yes, its true.

Unnfortunately both "notes cut off" and "clicking" sound on the keybed are issues reported already in the 73 and 88 models, and yet has to be resolved, as Korg has said.

Thank you for taking time to tell the forums all these issues, Phunky!

Regards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
navydave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos - Few issues Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, seems an issue that worhts to be revised by a Korg technician

Being a pc tech type persion, it makes me wonder if "some" issues with reboots, freezes, glitches, etc are due to overheating of the components? Very similar symptoms to when a laptop, or PC overheats. Maybe it needs "more" airflow over the internal components, since its acting pretty much as a PC in a synth box? Just a thought.

Last edited by navydave on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Night Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sucks, now I am concerned considering I never turn my Kronos off. I leave it up and running for day's and not had a issue yet. But then again I am still on OS 1.0.7 Refused to update due to all the issues people have been having.
robkeith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the heat issue/fan. I'm sure that Korg would have tested this to a great extent, I mean overheating would be the number one on the lists of qual control, the damage costs for replacements under warranty would be huge, so I don't think this would be the issue. It would be more than likely some ram issue, or even the ssd hd, that would be the problem. Also if you are in an extreme weather area, there was some info on waiting for the dew in the hd to evap b4 starting up, could be a worry?? come on Korg what are the answers?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine airflow/temperature is a problem of crashes etc.

I can imagine during gigging in heated environments and/or bad ventilated areas but most crashes happened in a studio/at home.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos - Few issues Reply with quote

navydave wrote:
Quote:
Well, seems an issue that worhts to be revised by a Korg technician

Being a pc tech type persion, it makes me wonder if "some" issues with reboots, freezes, glitches, etc are due to overheating of the components? Very similar symptoms to when a laptop, or PC overheats. Maybe it needs "more" airflow over the internal components, since its acting pretty much as a PC in a synth box? Just a thought.

True, I had those sympthoms on PC AMD core laptops. Reboots, freezes, glitches, etc.
They overheated so much.
Phunky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your responds folks. I've been away for work and haven't touch the K88 since my last post.

Anyway, I spent quite sometime with the K88 again this morning (after a week rest for the K88) for almost 4 hours ... it seems to be working fine. The "key transposed" problem didn't happen which is great! Very Happy
Hope I can finish my song today before it turns sour again ... (fingers crossed)

And I'm not sure if it's another bug with the sequencer. Hopefully someone can test it out. It's something related to the damper pedal.
(I was using the Yamaha FC4 pedal with polarity set to "+" in global)

Anyways, I was working on my song, say song 01. Then I went to Song 2, and copied the "Jap grand" from the pull down menu "copy from Prog".
After I've done that, the damper pedal stop working completely in Seq, Prog and Combi mode. I thought it might me a glitch or something. I tested it out again with song 03, and it happened again. I'll test it out again later tonight (when the K88 rested enough) and hope that she'll behave this time Wink

In stead of rebooting, I went to Global and change the damper polarity to "-" then "+" again and it works. It's not really a big issue but it's kinda wierd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: